Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Greig

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
This is sad news for one of Sussex's finest sportsmen.

Feb 14, 2010
I think I remember seeing or I might have just been told, about the anti Greig graffiti at the County Ground. It was then, from an early age, that I realised that cricket, and sport was not just about playing the game. I think people shouldn't re write history, Greig went for the money (not that there is anything wrong with that), it was Packer, the businessman, who was the "visionary who shook up cricket" should that be the spin that people want to put on the Packer affair.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Very sad news. Loved watching him at Hove. He was my first favourite cricketer.

I just commented to my wife that he had died and she said "is that the man from the pie shop!"

Help....

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
He was one of those rare breed who performed better at Test level than County Cricket. I think he got bored, at times, with the County circuit. He averaged just over 30 for Sussex but for England it was over 40, proof positive that he could raise his game at the highest level.
He just oozed charisma and will be sadly missed. RIP Tony.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Wasn't old enough to watch him play, but he was easily my favorite commentator.

Captains seemed to respect him more than anyone else at the toss - even with players like M.S. Dhoni, Sangakkara, Ponting and Clarke.

Can't believe i'll never get to hear his voice live again :down:

He had an unbelievable passion for the game and cricket is a much poorer place without him.

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
very sad loss. I'll always remember him signalling his own boundaries against the Aussies and West Indies (and then getting out!).

He said of the great Windies team "when they are down, they are down, and I intend to make them grovel" (didn't quite work out that way but he showed his intention never to back away from a fight).

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
I was a Junior SCCC member in the early 70's and always remember he seemed such a huge man but always gave autographs in good grace and I remember he always wrote them very carefully how ever many of us were in the queue - a good man

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Desperately sad news - Tony Greig was my first sporting hero and he was a real gentleman. Hove & Sussex have lost a hero. A very sad day in our household, thoughts and condolences to the family and of course brother Ian. My collar is up today.. go get at 'em Greigy.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
....and of course, the 12th man tapes by billy Birmingham lampooned him brilliantly.

Tony G. " there are the Aussies in their canary yellow"
Bill Lawrie..." canary yellow?...that's Australian gold my friend and don't you f***ing forget it.."

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Only saw the great man live once at the County Ground where he mis-fielded which resulted in a 4 and he got the Packer abuse.

Time has shown he was way ahead of many in his thinking of how the game should move forward.

RIP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here