Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Greig

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sad news indeed. When Sussex were an abject side in the 70s there were occasions when he seemed to be single-handedly taking on the opposition. His involvement in the Packer adventure has masked his achievements but he was a fine player and a decent captain (his grovel remarks aside). He stood up to Lillee and Thompson and the West Indian pace attack and seemed to relish the challenge. Cricket's the poorer for his passing.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
RIP Greigy, remember watching him captain Sussex in the 70's at Hove, very sad news

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Sad news indeed. When Sussex were an abject side in the 70s there were occasions when he seemed to be single-handedly taking on the opposition. His involvement in the Packer adventure has masked his achievements but he was a fine player and a decent captain (his grovel remarks aside). He stood up to Lillee and Thompson and the West Indian pace attack and seemed to relish the challenge. Cricket's the poorer for his passing.

'Masked' is the wrong word, he was involved in changing the way cricket was played & 30 years later with the 20 over, Indian league & Aussie big bash he can be seen to be way ahead of his time
He was a legend for England & also for Sussex, I can still recall having a drink in a group in the Sussex Cricketeers with him, Imran Khan & Garth LeRoux after a sunny days play in Hove. Happy days

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
'Masked' is the wrong word, he was involved in changing the way cricket was played & 30 years later with the 20 over, Indian league & Aussie big bash he can be seen to be way ahead of his time
He was a legend for England & also for Sussex, I can still recall having a drink in a group in the Sussex Cricketeers with him, Imran Khan & Garth LeRoux after a sunny days play in Hove. Happy days

Yes, that's true but that's precisely why his achievements are masked. He's remembered as a trendsetter but not as the fine player he was.

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
I saw his debut game against Lancs in May 67, caught the end of his 156 knock followed by Snowy taking 4 wickets before close of play. I was a fan ever since but felt he was unfairly treated by the press. Another site suggested googling MCC Cowdrey lecture 2012 where TG gives some background to his decision to join Packer. A good read.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
RIP Tony, A fine cricketer who will be sadly missed.

I had the good fortune to see him bat at Hove as a youngster, it was a meandering County game and Sussex went 4 down and out marched Grieggy, he seemed to have been given the wrong size bat as he strode to the crease, it looked like a childs bat. All the fielders changed positions mostly by going from mid on/off to deep mid on/off and the cover fielders aslo went back about 10 yards too. as did square leg.

Greigs first two balls were played with a textbook forward defensive and the fielders seemed to relax a little bit, third ball he took a single,huge stride towards the ball and lofted it over deep midwicket, one bounce, 4. We were captivated, he had decided to take the game by the scruff of the neck and try to get a result. it was an old style county game which was slated for 4 days play, I can't remember how the match played out in the and as I was there just for one day but Grieg scored something like 72 in a little over an hour which was absolute carnage in those days.

I won't forget.

Clapham Old Mug

Aug 6, 2004
Clapham
I remember watching one of his big hitting innings at Hastings, early in his career. Amazing power. His courage in taking on the authorities and shaking up cricket had a huge impact on the pay and conditions of county cricketers. Those who treated him as a pariah really didn't understand how badly the game needed his authority and vision.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Happy days at the County Ground in the 70's.

images

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove

Great days growing up at the County Ground. Very sad news, legend as a player and commentator. Great times flicking lillee and thommo over the slips for 4 in the 70's and giving the Aussies stcick on the boundary for being Colonists, marvelous scenes.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Blimey this is a shock. I was coached by him back when he was helping out at brighton and hove cc.

Rip tony. One of the greats

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
RIP Tony
a big man in many ways

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
A superb cricketer with a big heart. RIP Tony.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here