Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom eyes Brighton & Hove Albion play-off push

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
So if our budget is only slightly higher - does this mean that we will need to sell in order to spend - or that we have a budget of around £2.5m for transfer fees like last season?

To be honest (and i may be COMPLETELY WRONG), I wouldn't read ANYTHING into that statement.

TB is always going to want to keep the fans positive (say we have more money) but not want to alert clubs to any MASSIVE cash boost.

I always refer back to it, but when Kevin Keegan got a massive budget at Newcastle one year, he was so excite that he blurted out just how WONGA-ridden he was.

Subsequently EVERY bid he made for a player was overpriced as selling clubs knew he was rich.

We underplayed our budget last year and I think we'll underplay it again.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
To be honest (and i may be COMPLETELY WRONG), I wouldn't read ANYTHING into that statement.

TB is always going to want to keep the fans positive (say we have more money) but not want to alert clubs to any MASSIVE cash boost.

I always refer back to it, but when Kevin Keegan got a massive budget at Newcastle one year, he was so excite that he blurted out just how WONGA-ridden he was.

Subsequently EVERY bid he made for a player was overpriced as selling clubs knew he was rich.

We underplayed our budget last year and I think we'll underplay it again.

Very clever - this TB chap - do you think he would be any good at poker ?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
We spent at least 4 m on transfer last season. 2.5 on CMS 1 on Buckley 500k on Hoskins, then there's Harley and the french geezer.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So if our budget is only slightly higher - does this mean that we will need to sell in order to spend - or that we have a budget of around £2.5m for transfer fees like last season?

Transfer fees are largely neither here nor there. I know they catch the eye and get people all excited but in terms of a 'playing budget' wages take up far more cash than transfer fees.

(And last season was a LOT more than £2.5m - CMS + Buckley + Hoskins for a start)

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Transfer fees are largely neither here nor there. I know they catch the eye and get people all excited but in terms of a 'playing budget' wages take up far more cash than transfer fees.

(And last season was a LOT more than £2.5m - CMS + Buckley + Hoskins for a start)

Any idea what the clubs expenditure was for playing staff was for last year?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
have to say Paul Barber sounded very positive in that interview......... talked about a fans forum with him this wednesday?

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom

Agreed - but we sold Bennett for 1.5m which would offset that, therefore it would be close to 3.5/4m (2.5 CMS, 1 Buckley, 0.5 Hoskins - 1.5 Bennett = 2.5m + Harley/Vincelot/Lua
Lua

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Agreed - but we sold Bennett for 1.5m which would offset that, therefore it would be close to 3.5/4m (2.5 CMS, 1 Buckley, 0.5 Hoskins - 1.5 Bennett = 2.5m + Harley/Vincelot/Lua
Lua

Vicente on c£30k a week is £1.5m over a year. Wages are more significant to us than fees still.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Vicente on c£30k a week is £1.5m over a year. Wages are more significant to us than fees still.

Sorry, I agreed with your earlier post regarding wages... was specifically talking about how much I thought the transfer fees had been... and therefore potentially how much we may spend again (or, require for wages)

Hence if the budget last season was 100k a week (not saying it is, just a round figure), therefore 5.2m a year and we spent 4m in transfer fees - then overall the budget was 9.2m for last year. This year assuming a slight increase as Bloom has stated would then be around 10m which could either be an extra 92k a week and just wages (which would have to include any new improved contracts), or a split between wages and transfer fees.

Does that make sense?

D

Deleted member 22389

This extra sponsorship, building Brighton as a brand is so important for this club. Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Spurs and Arsenal shirts should be banned from Sussex. We don't want new supporters poisoned lol.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Its a pretty easy scenario really, just get Vicente back and buy a decent keeper, 2 x midfielders, left back and a decent striker and youll be top 6!!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Afraid so, yes.

Good.....pleased about that.

Open forums for all and sundry aren't very useful for getting 'inside' information. They are normally just a 'please the masses' with information that is often common knowledge.

Presumably you will be able to relate any useful info after...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here