Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Blair - Catholic

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Apparently TB will become a catholic after he has left Downing Street - Cheri is, as must the kids having gone to the London Oratory.

But why would he wait to leave office - is there a stigma attached to being catholic, or would it have affected his popularity ?

Would it make any difference to anyone on NSC had he converted to catholicism before becoming PM - or whilst in office. Does it change your view of someone if you discover they are catholic ?

It looks odd to me - like he can only follow his conscience once he leaves office.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Henry VIII would have burned his house down,and probably had his head chopped off.

Not a bad judge,the Old King,eh?

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
Probaly the old rule that a catholic cannot hold a high ranking job in England. Just like the royals cannot marry catholics.

If he had converted years ago you might possibly never have had him as prime minister - now wouldn't that be a sad one.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Depends if they're practicing and whether it might influence their politics - is it possible to be a politician and devoted member of any religion and to put your religious views to one side? Certainly having an Opus Dei member in charge of education was a bit scary.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The prime minister technically has the final say on the appointment of Church of England bishops. So being a Catholic might have put him in a slightly invidious position.

I've no idea how Charles Kennedy and Iain Duncan Smith -- both Catholics -- were going to get round that one had they been elected PM.

Maybe they would have done the sensible thing and disestablished the Church of England.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
The prime minister technically has the final say on the appointment of Church of England bishops. So being a Catholic might have put him in a slightly invidious position.
What I've never understood is why the Church of England tolerates any non-member (Catholic or not) appointing its bishops.

It's like the Albion getting Simon Jordan to appoint the manager. We'd end up with Coppell, or Taylor, or Hinshelwood.

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Lord Bracknell said:
What I've never understood is why the Church of England tolerates any non-member (Catholic or not) appointing its bishops.

In theory, the monarch could be any religion except Catholic and be supreme governor of the Church of England. It's quite, quite mad.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I think it's one of the tortuous things that you need to be a non Roman catholic to be a member of the privy council (you can be a bhuddist or muslim I think) and as prime minister you must be a member of the privy council therefore you cannot be Roman catholic and prime minister.

You can be anglican catholic (aka really posh CofE)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Man of Harveys said:
Depends if they're practicing and whether it might influence their politics - is it possible to be a politician and devoted member of any religion and to put your religious views to one side? Certainly having an Opus Dei member in charge of education was a bit scary.

Most politicians are practicing - at least they are seen at church. it makes no odds whether they are right or left footers - shirley ?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
ROSM said:
I think it's one of the tortuous things that you need to be a non Roman catholic to be a member of the privy council (you can be a bhuddist or muslim I think) and as prime minister you must be a member of the privy council therefore you cannot be Roman catholic and prime minister.

Blimey - you think they might sort that out. What possible reason is there for still to be in place.

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
ROSM said:

You can be anglican catholic (aka really posh CofE)

That's not true. John Reid is a Catholic, and as home secretary is a member of the Privy Council. There have been others, such as Ann Widdecombe, John Gummer, and Helen Liddell.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
My dad still has his letters when appointed by the Prime Minister, very interesting.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Dick Knights Mumm said:
Most politicians are practicing - at least they are seen at church. it makes no odds whether they are right or left footers - shirley ?
I suppose not, except that, say, Opus Dei might be a bit more full on with implementing their views than the jam and Jerusalem brigade but maybe that's cheap stereotyping. And Concepta deary, don't call me Shirley in public again or I'll LOOSEN your celice.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's up to Blair, but he's wasting his time. Jesus did NOT rise from the dead and his mother was NOT a virgin.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Pavilionaire said:
It's up to Blair, but he's wasting his time. Jesus did NOT rise from the dead and his mother was NOT a virgin.

Depends on your faith whether you believe that

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
That's not true. John Reid is a Catholic, and as home secretary is a member of the Privy Council. There have been others, such as Ann Widdecombe, John Gummer, and Helen Liddell.

You mean John Reid that many were touting as potential opponent to Gordon Brown as Labour Leader? Then this whole debate is null and void as there's obviously no problem.

I knew of Ann Widdecombe but thought there was a two tier thing that let her in. Didn't know of John (dont call me Selwyn) Gummer or the other one who means nothing to me.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
ROSM said:
I knew of Ann Widdecombe but thought there was a two tier thing that let her in. Didn't know of John (dont call me Selwyn) Gummer or the other one who means nothing to me.

Wasn't Gummer the one who made his daughter eat a hamburger at the height of the BSE crisis ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here