Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Benn RIP

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I was lucky enough to meet him on a couple of occasions - he came to speak at the AGM of the organisation I work for when we were celebrating the whatever it was anniversary of the abolition of slavery a few years ago. Fascinating as a speaker and one of the nicest, kindest men I have ever met. I also saw him in action at the Tolpuddle festival over recent years. he always had time for everyone.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Liked his passion and his books were good. I miss politicians who say what they believe and not what they think people want to hear. RIP

To be fair, there are a few on all sides of the political circle who, when they leave Westminster, feel less compelled to toe a party line and say what they believe.

Again, you may not agree with what they say, but you can have an honest debate about a given subject with them without feeling the spectre of a party whip of Special Advisor steering them into some tepid soundbite.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Praised Chairman Mao as being one of the greatest figures of the 20th century and then when it became clear he wes a mass murderer said he made mistakes but it seems to me that the development of the countryside was very sensible when the truth was 45 million died from enforced famine.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
A conviction politican the like of which we don't see much of any more. A sad, sad passing.

RIP Tony

PS - Anyone remember his appearance on the Ali G show?

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
There are probably no more than a dozen MPs in the current parliament who are prepared to stand up for their beliefs and to defend them in public in the way that he was. Whether you agreed with him or not, Tony Benn did just that. He will be sadly missed.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Praised Chairman Mao as being one of the greatest figures of the 20th century and then when it became clear he wes a mass murderer said he made mistakes but it seems to me that the development of the countryside was very sensible when the truth was 45 million died from enforced famine.
Yes, I'm sure you are spot on with that analysis.

Tony Benn was well known for being a bit thick and in favour of the exploitation of ordinary people... :thud:

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Here we go...

Why should being born into wealth preclude you from having political beliefs that are about supporting those less fortunate, about creating a society fairer for all?

It's not where you're from, it's where you're at.

Exactly this, principled and articulate man, even Dave Cameroon stated that even if he didn't agree with most of the things he said, he still found him engaging and very interesting man.
Whatever your politics, R.I.P Tony Benn, a rare great parliamentarian.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
... he renounced his title but still sent his kids to private schools.

Disingenuous. They went to Westminster Prep School, but Been changed his mind. He placed them in the local comprehensive instead.

So they never actually made it to the public school proper.

This was seen as extraordinary at the time and Tony Benn was wildly criticised for sacraficing his childrens education for his political beliefs.

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Always thought he was an old fraud. Converted from Anthony Wedgewood Benn from a privileged background to bitter, yet articulate, Tony Benn the Left wing Labour activist.

You can't criticise people for where they came from. That's the same as saying Alan Johnson is an absolutely tosspot because he was brought in in abject poverty.

For what I understand Tony Benn was a decent man. He was utterly deluded in my view but my view's not important.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Yes, I'm sure you are spot on with that analysis.

Tony Benn was well known for being a bit thick and in favour of the exploitation of ordinary people... :thud:

Ah I see.

He's dead so no one is allowed to criticise him.

At the emergence of the hard left in the early 80s Tony Benn was an extremely dangerous politician. The country spoke in the 83 " suicide note" election although Benn was intelligent enough to distance himself from Foot at this time.

The benefit of rose tinted spectacles.......

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Mildly disingenuous. They went to Westminster Prep School, but he took them out and placed in the local comprehensive instead.

They never actually made it to the public school proper.

£15,000 a year... I think that probably counts.

Still... RIP Wedgie.

So easy to misrepresent the deceased, isn't it? My Dad taught Hilary and siblings History at Holland Park Comprehensive, so you statement is unadjacent to the truth. Nice try though.

Fairly typical of the lies told about him way back then though - the least patrician man you could ever meet. He did spend the first half of his life in relative great privilege but pretty much spent the second having mugs of tea with ordinary trade unionists at meetings all over Britain.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

And we know that because he extensively documented his life and what he thought at any one time in his diaries.

Anyone who does that in political life would be open to deserved criticism now and then.

But modern politicians don't.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Anyone else remember his amiable grizzlings on Sunday mornings at Glastonbury, in a tent largely populated by people who'd turned up for the free sweets and tea in the Co-Op tent next door, and then either been too spangled to find their way out or been drawn in by the hallucinatory sight of an apparently mad uncle wittering on about the certain demise of capitalism while chugging on a pipe and laughing to himself?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And we know that because he extensively documented his life and what he thought at any one time in his diaries.

Anyone who does that in political life would be open to deserved criticism now and then.

But modern politicians don't.

Very well said. Contrast the unreadable bag of arselicking cowshit that was Tony Blair's "A Journey" (still unfinished chez moi but enough of it read to know this was a good decision).

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I am never one for an RIP thread usually. And for a POLITICIAN'S RIP thread??

Am very sad to hear Tony Benn has died. RIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here