Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tonights scapegoat

barney

Jul 31, 2006
Its a little early in the day to have been drinking, wouldn't you say ?

just because he hasn't done as well as people would have hoped stepping up to the first team doesn't take away from the fact he was PROLIFIC at every stage before this. he played a few last season and got about 5 goals i think, since then his confidence has clearly been knocked and with a run in the first team or coming off the bench regularly he will get better and start scoring again. in the reserves he scores all kinds of goals so no one can deny he is a goal scorer

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
just because he hasn't done as well as people would have hoped stepping up to the first team doesn't take away from the fact he was PROLIFIC at every stage before this. he played a few last season and got about 5 goals i think, since then his confidence has clearly been knocked and with a run in the first team or coming off the bench regularly he will get better and start scoring again. in the reserves he scores all kinds of goals so no one can deny he is a goal scorer

My opinion too, but you won't find many agreeing on here.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

His record and performances at Woking would sadly suggest otherwise. I've seen nothing in Gatting that suggests he can cut it at this level, and was a bit perturbed to see Dixon omitted from the squad presumably in favour of Gatting on the bench. When OGH is being brought on up front for the last ten minutes, and you're being dropped in favour of Gatting now, just how BAD is this Dixon kiddy ??

barney

Jul 31, 2006
His record and performances at Woking would sadly suggest otherwise. I've seen nothing in Gatting that suggests he can cut it at this level, and was a bit perturbed to see Dixon omitted from the squad presumably in favour of Gatting on the bench. When OGH is being brought on up front for the last ten minutes, and you're being dropped in favour of Gatting now, just how BAD is this Dixon kiddy ??

obviously not up to it or not fit enough. gatt's performances at woking obviously weren't what people expected but i can't seeing it being all his fault, the service presumably isn't top notch there. his scoring record in the reserves is against decent players of this level, and it is also excellent against reserve teams of better clubs.. didn't he score 5 against qpr reserves last year?!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
obviously not up to it or not fit enough. gatt's performances at woking obviously weren't what people expected but i can't seeing it being all his fault, the service presumably isn't top notch there. his scoring record in the reserves is against decent players of this level, and it is also excellent against reserve teams of better clubs.. didn't he score 5 against qpr reserves last year?!

Sorry, but you can't use reserve team football as a proper barometer in which to judge a goalscorer. You're primarily up against kids, trialists and crocks coming back from injury. Elder would plunder a fair few at reserve level, and whilst I'd agree he wasn't given much of a chance here, he's hardly set the fourth division alight with Brentford this last three months has he. And before you say "well Brentford are clearly crap", Mansfield have a striker called Boulding who's plundered 21 goals for them this season, and they've been bottom two all season.

What irks me with Gatting is that he doesn't even really look UP for it when he plays. I know some players have a languid style, but Gatting doesn't have anywhere near the skill in the locker to carry that off. There comes a point when the excuses run out, and from what I've seen, he's never gonna make it as a decent quality third division striker.

Bognor beckons.

Last edited:

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
you can't bring Gatting on with just 5 mins left. It takes him at least 3-4 minutes to get from the bench in to position. I hope his footballing brain is faster than his legs

barney

Jul 31, 2006
Sorry, but you can't use reserve team football as a proper barometer in which to judge a goalscorer. You're primarily up against kids, trialists and crocks coming back from injury. Elder would plunder a fair few at reserve level, and whilst I'd agree he wasn't given much of a chance here, he's hardly set the fourth division alight with Brentford this last three months has he. And before you say "well Brentford are clearly crap", Mansfield have a striker called Boulding who's plundered 21 goals for them this season, and they've been bottom two all season.

What irks me with Gatting is that he doesn't even really look UP for it when he plays. I know some players have a languid style, but Gatting doesn't have anywhere near the skill in the locker to carry that off. There comes a point when the excuses run out, and from what I've seen, he's never gonna make it as a decent quality third division striker.

Bognor beckons.

that's your opinion. mine obviously differs. time will tell. but bear in mind he is only 20 and has never had a real run in the first team, so maybe you should at least let him have that before you completely write off his whole career?!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I'm fairly sure he has another year.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Am I missing something, did Kerry Mayo not play last night?

Surely he is totally at fault for everything that went wrong last night is he not?

It is certainly his fault that El Abd had to run so fast and ended up in a tackle and got medial ligament damage. And no doubt Kerry was not quick enough to get over the the right side of the box in time to tackle their cheating diving **** of a striker and therefore making Whings inadvertant (non) tackle not happen.

Perhaps, as he didn't score the winning goals we needed, he should be relegated back to the reserves and ridiculed at the very mention of his name.

barney

Jul 31, 2006

Bognor beckons.

scored tonight against palace :lol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
scored tonight against palace :lol:

Described as 'Albion responded quarter of an hour later though, when Jake Robinson's free-kick was bravely converted with a stooping header from Gatting eight yards from the Palace goal'

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Ressies is his level.

Playing Championship reserves (who quite often go out on loan to League 1 clubs ie Richards, Whing - last season)
5 out of the 10 teams in the Pontins league are Championship clubs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Playing Championship reserves (who quite often go out on loan to League 1 clubs ie Richards, Whing - last season)
5 out of the 10 teams in the Pontins league are Championship clubs.

I refer thee to my earlier post...

Sorry, but you can't use reserve team football as a proper barometer in which to judge a goalscorer. You're primarily up against kids, trialists and crocks coming back from injury.

And you can add out-of-form players to that list as well.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Or out of favour players. :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here