Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tonight proves what we all know ?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think Gerrard is the better player but Lampard gives me the impression that playing for England means something to him.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Well there's a surprise-our resident football expert prefers anybody to Gerrard. Predictably boring response.

Well gerrard has played like an utter **** for the past 7 years.

We've won 4-1 tonight without him, Fat frank has had a STORMER, wheras "Stevie G" is probably saving himself for Sunday. What does that tell you?

Oh, and if i've given a predictably boring response, then what the hell have you given, latching on to a post from me about Gerrard for the 100th time.

Sad, clueless, idiot.
:tosser:

1066gull

Not one Liverpool player in the England squad.

After Carragher's 'confessional', perhaps that's one reason we did so well.
Liverpool aren't English anymore thanks to the Spanish Armada.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree they can't play together but before Gerrard gets totally slagged off I would have been happy to see him come on instead of Jenas to hold the left side for the last 15-20 minutes.

A bench with the likes of Gary Neville, Owen, Beckham, Gerrard and Crouch would worry any manager in world football, so don't write them off just yet.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I really didn't think Lampard was that great tonight. A decent performance but his set piece deliveries were woeful at best.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Three HUGE factors from tonight:

1. Lampard cannot play with Gerrard, and vice-versa (we've known for 5 years, but hopefully the penny will have dropped with Capello)

2. Beckham is history. Pace on the flanks is the future (again, some have been calling for this for several years - tonight proved it beyond any doubt).

3. Get 1 and 2 right, and you've already solved 90% of Englands problems before you even consider who plays up front.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Easy, you're very hard on Becks. The recent stats show he still makes a large proportion of England's goals and his crossing is still pretty good.

More importantly, do you think that in a World Cup a 21-year old Walcott with his build is capable of playing full pelt for 7 matches in 4 weeks? I suspect Walcott is not the sort of player like Lampard who is capable of playing 90 minutes of every match in a tournament, in which case we still need a wide man who can pick out a cross or pass and not panic.

I need to see more from SWP and Bentley before I write Becks off just yet, but I totally agree that his days as a starter are over. The Czech match confirmed that.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Three HUGE factors from tonight:

1. Lampard cannot play with Gerrard, and vice-versa (we've known for 5 years, but hopefully the penny will have dropped with Capello)

2. Beckham is history. Pace on the flanks is the future (again, some have been calling for this for several years - tonight proved it beyond any doubt).

3. Get 1 and 2 right, and you've already solved 90% of Englands problems before you even consider who plays up front.

Absolutely bloody spot on Mr 10.

I don't have much of a preference over the Lampard / Gerrard thing, but certainly not both in the same side, especially as we now have either Barry or Hargreaves in the middle with either one of them.

As for Beckham, as much as I have admired him in the past, his best days are long behnd him. Time to go I'm afraid.

Also, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm not sure Michael Owen will be seen in an England shirt too often now either. Great player, but too prone to injury now for a long term future.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Easy, you're very hard on Becks. The recent stats show he still makes a large proportion of England's goals and his crossing is still pretty good.

More importantly, do you think that in a World Cup a 21-year old Walcott with his build is capable of playing full pelt for 7 matches in 4 weeks? I suspect Walcott is not the sort of player like Lampard who is capable of playing 90 minutes of every match in a tournament, in which case we still need a wide man who can pick out a cross or pass and not panic.

I need to see more from SWP and Bentley before I write Becks off just yet, but I totally agree that his days as a starter are over. The Czech match confirmed that.

Becks is only useful when the game stops. That, I think, is indisputable FACT.
We scored four goals from open play tonight. FOUR.

I appreciate three of those were against 10 men, but we were already causing them lots of problems of the kind we've not seen when its been Beckham plodding around the halfway line on the right.

Walcott did the business tonight. I would also happily have SWP as backup.

ANYTHING. BUT. BECKHAM.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
A bench with the likes of Gary Neville, Owen, Beckham, Gerrard and Crouch would worry any manager in world football, so don't write them off just yet.

Quality players in they're day but all past they're best, any international manager worth they're weight in salt knows how to nullify them

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Becks is only useful when the game stops. That, I think, is indisputable FACT.
We scored four goals from open play tonight. FOUR.

I appreciate three of those were against 10 men, but we were already causing them lots of problems of the kind we've not seen when its been Beckham plodding around the halfway line on the right.

Walcott did the business tonight. I would also happily have SWP as backup.

ANYTHING. BUT. BECKHAM

To be fair, it is quite easy to argue Walcott did NOTHING against a pathetic Andorra side, and SWP has been pretty much USELESS in his entire England career.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No.

It proved it's LAMPARD, not Gerrard!

Well gerrard has played like an utter **** for the past 7 years.

...wheras "Stevie G" is probably saving himself for Sunday. What does that tell you?

oh do f*** off. is it so difficult to grasp the concept of Gerrard or Lampard? that we need both so we can play either when the other is out? have you never noticed how Lampard is one of the first heads to drop when England are behind, while Gerrard will motor around (often to his detriment). Gerrard was injured and i dont want us to be playing less than 100% fit players anywhere no matter how good they are. the result against 10 men would have been the same with either player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here