Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tomorrow,s world cup vote.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Before his untimely death we were already told who will win.

AI_Paul2018Bid.jpg

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
Who are our main contenders again? I honestly don't think there is another country in the world better prepared for a World Cup than we are. Are we going to perhaps be overlooked due to being too perfect? I cannot think of a single thing that would be bad about us hosting it. Apart from MK being a stadium and not ours?!?!?!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Who are our main contenders again? I honestly don't think there is another country in the world better prepared for a World Cup than we are. Are we going to perhaps be overlooked due to being too perfect? I cannot think of a single thing that would be bad about us hosting it. Apart from MK being a stadium and not ours?!?!?!

1) England
2) Russia
3) Spain/Portugal
4) Holland/Belgium

GregX

Aug 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN USA
Sepp wants a legacy, so England and the US will get jobbed. Russia and Qatar will get it, then he can say he brought the WC to Africa, Asia, Russia and the Middle East. Then God willing he will piss off and die somewhere.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I have a gut feeling Spain & Portugal will make a late surge & sneak it.
Putin not showing up seems to be an indication the Ruskies wont get it & as much as Cameron, Prince William & Becks might be campaigning & pushing for votes i don't know how this will make much difference.

I also find it bizarre that the BBC a state funded tv company would go out of its way to sabotage a state funded world cup bid with that Panorama programme. Fair enough air it once its in the bag but why the same week as the decision is made.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Watching the Beckham piece earlier I did think he did pretty good, given that he not see by any means as a great orator.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
England's chances of winning the bid are the same as they have for winning the World Cup every four years. Deep in our hearts we know it isn't going to happen, but in the build up to the event hearts start to rule heads and we say 'got to be in with a chance' and then we get knocked out in the second round.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Russia getting it would be a disgrace bearing in mind the appalling racism still present in that country. On a lesser scale, one can say the same about Spain/Portugal. I don't think we'll get it, but then again I didn't think we'd get the Olympics.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
1) England
2) Russia
3) Spain/Portugal
4) Holland/Belgium

Your spot on - the 'English' media scum have been our biggest contender. Completely mindless.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There's been a big swing in the betting with England favourites on most books now...

England - evens-ish
Russia - 11/8-13/8
Portugal & Spain - 4/1ish
Belgium and Holland - 40/1

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There's been a big swing in the betting with England favourites on most books now...

England - evens-ish
Russia - 11/8-13/8
Portugal & Spain - 4/1ish
Belgium and Holland - 40/1

I REALLY hope this is right...

I have heard that cos Putin hasn't bothered to fly to Zurich it's a sign Russia have thrown the towel in - not sure if that's us reading too much in to it - hope it's true!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I hadn't really followed the vote other than the obvious talk about the Sunday Times and Panorama binfests but having listened to 5Live whilst I was cooking dinner, including an excellent piece with Beckham, I really, really hope we get this.

It doesn't seem right that Spain (with Portugal this time) and the USA (possibles for 2022) should have the World Cup again before we do, given their relatively recent hosting.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agreed. The voting is odd isn't it - 1 out each round. I think we'll be in final 2 - just HOPE we get this of course like everyone should IMO. However corupt FIFA are I don't care at the mo as long as we get the WC - Then deal with the corruption.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
David Davis was on 5Live talking about England's last failed bid. He said Jack Warner told England his votes would go to England in the first round but he'd only stick with England if they got 6 or more votes in the first round. As it was we got 5 votes so we lost those votes and were then eliminated. He suspects Warner would have make a similar pledge to England this time round.

It's curious though - why would you vote for a country in one round but then move your vote from them in the next if they are still in? I can only assume that you have decided they won't win, so want your vote to be going to the winners for whatever reason - "I backed you when you won, now scratch my back please" etc.

Beckham spoke warmly about Warner, saying he had kept a promise a few years back to re-visit Trindad and Tobago to run soccer schools.

Davis said he has calculated his view on who will vote for who, including some "owe us a favour" things he knows about and thinks we will do it, which seems to be an upgrade from his earlier thinking.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
David Davis was on 5Live talking about England's last failed bid. He said Jack Warner told England his votes would go to England in the first round but he'd only stick with England if they got 6 or more votes in the first round. As it was we got 5 votes so we lost those votes and were then eliminated. He suspects Warner would have make a similar pledge to England this time round.

It's curious though - why would you vote for a country in one round but then move your vote from them in the next if they are still in? I can only assume that you have decided they won't win, so want your vote to be going to the winners for whatever reason - "I backed you when you won, now scratch my back please" etc.

Beckham spoke warmly about Warner, saying he had kept a promise a few years back to re-visit Trindad and Tobago to run soccer schools.

Davis said he has calculated his view on who will vote for who, including some "owe us a favour" things he knows about and thinks we will do it, which seems to be an upgrade from his earlier thinking.

So let's get this straight, ALL 22 vote EVERY round. So hence if say 1 country got 12 / 1 got 8 / one got 2 / one got 0 in the first round. Assuming the origianl 12 stuck with that country through all the rounds (as you'd expect them to?) that country would win. So the 1st round of voting could pretty much say who would win...? In my example then only the 2 voters for the 3rd country would be forced to change there votes in the last round as their original country would have been eliminated...

Does that make sense to you?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think in your scenario, voting ends after round 1 as a majority has been achieved. If a majority has not been achieved the country with the lowest vote count is eliminated and everyone votes again for the remaining country until such time as a majority is achieved. In the event of a tie, ie 11-11 with 2 countries left, Blatter casts the deciding vote.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I thought I read somewhere there were 23 voters

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
So let's get this straight, ALL 22 vote EVERY round. So hence if say 1 country got 12 / 1 got 8 / one got 2 / one got 0 in the first round. Assuming the origianl 12 stuck with that country through all the rounds (as you'd expect them to?) that country would win. So the 1st round of voting could pretty much say who would win...? In my example then only the 2 voters for the 3rd country would be forced to change there votes in the last round as their original country would have been eliminated...

Does that make sense to you?

Go to World Soccer's website.

IF, and it's a HUGE IF we get through the first round, we could just pull this off.

Here's hoping

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here