Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Togo team bus shot at in Congo

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Of course we shall wait and see what happens, but it concerns me that things like this are happening in South Africa especially in the World cup year, a

this incident didn't happen in South Africa, it happened in Angola, a country that was racked by a 30-year civil war until a couple of years ago and won't be on any shortlists for a World Cup.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I would expect that the SA Police force are gearing themselves up for a worst case scenario, which is what I would hope the UK police force is doing for the Olympics. It does not mean that mass fatalities are going to occur. Thousands of extra police officers are being recruited for the World Cup and as Edna quite rightly says, the vast majority of fans who come here will be fine and will have a great time.

Yes, quite a few footie fans may find themselves the victims of crime in SA (muggings, pickpocketing mainly), but if they are sensible and streetwise, they should avoid it. I'm sure that quite a few fans were victims of crime during the last world cup.

Were all the Lions fans and England Cricket fans set upon by hordes of gun toating gangs and had their transport fired upon? As Kalimantan Gull says, this occured in Angola, not South Africa and is about as relevant to the future of the World Cup in SA as trouble in the Balkans is to London hosting the Olympics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here