Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's LOVE or HATE debate : Rod Stewart

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I don't hate him but idon't love him either.The younger gereration won't really appreciate his music.He has done some good stuff

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Hate hate hate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's right up there with Queen as most hateful music ever.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
In his day (which was a fair old while ago), he had a very fine set of pipes - not many better white blues singers around - and also underratedly good taste in choosing which songs to do - The Killing Of Georgie, Sailing, Do Ya Think I'm Sexy (which shamelessly rips off some Brazilian track my g/f has), that Tom Waits one he did (Train something). But recently his Sinatra-lite stuff is cloyingly dreadful.

So, I could live with his greatest hits without vomiting but can't summon up much more enthusiasm than that.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
rod stewart circa the faces was f***ing fantastic late 60's eraly 70's rock. top dollar.

then he became naff mid 70's...every picture tells a story time and then descended into crap.

give his early stuff a try!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I reckon some of his early stuff with the Faces was pretty good. 'Mandolin Wind' and his cover versions of 'Reason To Believe' and 'Handbags & Gladrags' were excellent. Of his solo stuff, I can only claim a fondness for 'The Killing of Georgie' - brilliant.

Most of his mid-late 70s stuff onwards was pretty awful, and he is neither a soul singer nor a crooner.

Him playing football with the Faces while John Peel mimed the mandolin piece in 'Maggie May' on Top of the Pops was pretty amusing.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Seen him at least 3 times in concert at Brighton centre,

He's class, hot legs, sweet little rock and roller, young Turks, Tonights the Night. Also class when he was with the faces

love old Rod except that he's a pseudo sweaty:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Top man all his songs are about women and footie

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
I agrre with most of ya. the faces stuff was top banana but the american songbook is a desperate attempt at prolonging his career.

Give it up now rod ...go on ya know ya want to

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Fourteenth Eye said:
I agrre with most of ya. the faces stuff was top banana but the american songbook is a desperate attempt at prolonging his career.

Give it up now rod ...go on ya know ya want to

My mother-in-law is really into the American Songbook.

But then she's 81, so that about tells you everything you need to know...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here