• Sensational fence-sitter

Votes: 10 12.7%

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Arguments time again.

So what does NSC think of the 38 1/2 year-old institution that is the wonderful sound of wonderful BBC Radio 1?

A prime source of new and current music, or a shoutfest for sad fucks? A hip, happening relevant radio station with a sound message, or one single commercial for the capitalist music machine? Witty presenters or egotisitical non-entities?

Over to NSC...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
i enjoy the chris moyles show and some aspects of the scott mills, entertaining driving home stuff.

but not really my type of music in general.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
John Peel RIP.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I'm too old for Radio 1, too Young for Radio 2. Is it beyond the wit of man to produce a radio station which plays new music without a DJ who either caters for my Grandad or a school kid outside of the London Area? Seems not.

Try living here and listening to BBC Radio West Midlands or BRMB (Birmingham radio). Forced to listen to that for more than an hour and you would try to cut your ears off.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Too old...as soon as I hear it I turn it off and find radio 2

*old fart alert*

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
In the daytime it's TURD and nothing more than light entertainment for builders. Some of the stuff they have on in the evenings is top notch. Zane Lowe's show is quality, Steve Lamacq is a nerd but knows his stuff and the likes of Ras Kwame and a few of those who also have shows one 1extra bring some quality for proceedings. I like it and still thinks it represents British music especially well, even without Peel.

Some of the DJ's still play decent music. Zane Lowe isn't bad, and Jo Whiley when the playlist lets her. Mostly though the DJ's irritate me so much that I can't listen. Radio 1 used to be about playing music rather than listen to a bunch of northern monkeys go on about Leeds or some twat from southampton talk about how shit he is at diy. Who gives a shit? Shut the f*** up and play some tunes you boring tosspiece.

The only show I listen to regularly now is Mark Radcliffe on Radio 2.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Lamacq used to be good about 10 years ago. After they got rid of the Evening Session, the only show that was worth listening to was John Peel. The rest of the presenters are jumped up, egotistical idiots who think they're highly entertaining and amusing, and play shit music. It's as cutting edge as a rusty spoon.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I genuinely much preferred it when it was Gary's "bit in the middle" (it's a COCK joke), DLT's pipeman of the year and Big Simes' Our Tune.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Never been the same since "The perfumed garden"

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Hannibal smith said:
Is it beyond the wit of man to produce a radio station which plays new music without a DJ who either caters for my Grandad or a school kid outside of the London Area? Seems not.

Get yourself one of those DAB thingies and 6 music.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Grendel said:
The Perfumed Garden wasn't on Radio 1, it was on Radio London.

Proof that time dims the memory :down:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Scott Mills needs to be repeatedly punched in the throat, he is very much on a one man crusade to bring Radio One to the level of excruciating nausea that Heart/Magic/Southern FM etc etc serve up on a daily basis.

JK and Joel aint a lot better, and Colin and Edith have brought band wagon jumping on to a whole new level that even MORRIS could not acheive.

You can hear in Jo Wiley's voice that she is getting highly pissed off having to play the sort of commercial urban/rap American drivel that forms the backbone of Radio One's playlist, she is the only bit of credibility that the daytime scheduling has to offer.

Zane Lowe and Lamaq continue to be superb but I read somewhere recently that they wanted to push the 7pm slot back to accomodate more Scot Mills type drivel.

Fans of Usher/50 Cent and the Sugar Babes WILL be happy.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My heyday for listening to Radio 1 was late 70s/early 80s, and were there some 24-carat wankers on it then?

DLT - you pilchard (is he dead yet?)
Simon 'Our Suicidal Tune' Bates
Jimmy 'Now Then, Now Then' Saville
Mike 'failed pop star' Read
Peter 'Hello, Mate' Powell
Ooh Gary Davies
Noel 'go f*** yourself' Edmonds

A veritable smorgasbord of turdish delights. Thank God for Peelie and Annie Nightingale.

Nowadays, the office has Radio 1 on all day, and when I walk through, it only seems to play about four different records inbetween some tosser screaming - sorry, begging - for people to send in texts and emails. Sad fucks.

So Radio One has achieved the impossible. I've always hated it feeling it was utterly SHIT, and it is now worse than it once was. How do they manage it, I wonder?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
...'Have you ever eaten FOOD ?'

'If so text us on :bla: :bla: :bla:'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here