Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Todays Goings on...

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
But to balance that Knotty - there were as many, if not more, comments from the sane majority congratulating Kerry on his long career and thanking him for all his effort. So let's not forget that there are a great many people on here who have shown the level of decency you would hope to find at The Albion.

You're right, TRHK. It's just that the abusive comments came as a real surprise. The standard of his football becomes irrelevant once he has been released. 400 games deserves some thanks, not personal abuse.

Maybe I'm being naive in expecting that all genuine Albion supporters would think that way.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
You're right, TRHK. It's just that the abusive comments came as a real surprise. The standard of his football becomes irrelevant once he has been released. 400 games deserves some thanks, not personal abuse.

Maybe I'm being naive in expecting that all genuine Albion supporters would think that way.

Sadly there are some complete ***** who post on this board, just take a look at the post before yours.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think the point is, that the comments on this board over the releases, were frankly a little embarrassing. Some comments were down right rude and offensive, others were sniping at just about anyone they could. How about showing some good grace to these players, believe it or not all of them will have done their best, and now have the difficult task of moving into a new position. Every time each one of them pulled on a blue and white striped shirt I got behind them. Sure I didn't think some of them were good enough for us at times, but they were what we had, they were Albion players, and deserve a little better than was posted on here yesterday.

Whilst everybody realises that players get released what has annoy me (and I am sure quite a few others) is the obvious glee of some posters. Whilst some of the released never really made the sort of effort we expect most tried their best and it's clear that many people are not impressed with some of the decisions.

However it's the obnoxious gloating of a handful that irks me.
Agree with both of you. I'm obviouisly biased as my wife and I are good friends with Tom's parents, Frank and Maria, and I've known Tom since he was eight years old. My daughter is friends with John Sullivan and I also know his parents (John and Janet) but not as well. The comments about Sully have been quite kind but some of the bile directed at Tom has been outrageous. I really don't mind people saying he's not good enough for a team with ambitions to get into the Championship. I disagree, but it's all about opinions and everyone's entitled to them. And it's no good saying "relax, it's just a messageboard" there are obviously a couple of wind-up merchants on here and most of us have made tongue-in-cheek or deliberately provocative comments in order to get a reaction, but I know the people revelling in Tom's departure really do think like that as they've told us time and time again in thread after thread after thread. It's a bad time for the Fraser family as Jay (James) has also been released by Bristol Rovers, although that was expected as he'd been nowhere near the first team.

So I am personally gutted at the news; and being a bit upset at the moment you're going to have to forgive me if I call the The Complete Badger a scummy piece of sub-human filth who no decent human being would piss on if he were on fire. There. I feel a bit better having got that off my chest.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Agree with both of you. I'm obviouisly biased as my wife and I are good friends with Tom's parents, Frank and Maria, and I've known Tom since he was eight years old. My daughter is friends with John Sullivan and I also know his parents (John and Janet) but not as well. The comments about Sully have been quite kind but some of the bile directed at Tom has been outrageous. I really don't mind people saying he's not good enough for a team with ambitions to get into the Championship. I disagree, but it's all about opinions and everyone's entitled to them. And it's no good saying "relax, it's just a messageboard" there are obviously a couple of wind-up merchants on here and most of us have made tongue-in-cheek or deliberately provocative comments in order to get a reaction, but I know the people revelling in Tom's departure really do think like that as they've told us time and time again in thread after thread after thread. It's a bad time for the Fraser family as Jay (James) has also been released by Bristol Rovers, although that was expected as he'd been nowhere near the first team.

So I am personally gutted at the news; and being a bit upset at the moment you're going to have to forgive me if I call the The Complete Badger a scummy piece of sub-human filth who no decent human being would piss on if he were on fire. There. I feel a bit better having got that off my chest.

:thumbsup:
Hopefully some of our more "controversial" posters will read that and feel suitably ashamed.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
What you seem to overlook is these players are contracted for a period of time. If or when that period expires they are no longer employed by the club. Its not bang out of order but a fact within their profession. The manager is of the opinion that to take the club forwards he does not require their services. Thats life. I not gloating though I have been slated for my opinion that the likes of Mayo have had a bloody good return for the time they have been at the club and I'm pleased they are going. We move on hopefully to better times.

This club has for many years, going back to Bamber days has been run like an old boys club We are venturing into a new era. We need and the future demands that we become far better and professional about the way the club is run. Slade has stated this in regard to backroom staffing and is now obviously taking it through to the playing staff. There is no room for slacking. The club within a very short time has to become a relatively large football club with an effective infrastructure that can support a new stadium. The club needs to prove that it is ready for this.

Its called progress.

Can't fault that at all. :)

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I not gloating though I have been slated for my opinion that the likes of Mayo have had a bloody good return for the time they have been at the club and I'm pleased they are going.

Having that opinion is fine.

It's the abuse that has been added to opinion that most are complaining about.

The Brighton Ace

Nov 14, 2008
Sussex by the sea
Although I agree that it is sad to see any players released, in particular Sully; it is the nature of the job. However, the level to which I feel sympathy for them is limited as there are obvious risks in wanting to enter a career involving kicking a football.

This is the price of following any passion such as sport, photography, music etc instead of pursuing a 'real' job. Only a small percentage even make it anywhere near to becoming professional.

I don't mean to sound cynical and it is not pleasant for anyone to lose their job but at the end of the day they're more than likely to find a job elsewhere playing football or doing something related. Most of us never even have the chance to be in a job that we enjoy anywhere near as much as they do!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Although I agree that it is sad to see any players released, in particular Sully; it is the nature of the job. However, the level to which I feel sympathy for them is limited as there are obvious risks in wanting to enter a career involving kicking a football.

This is the price of following any passion such as sport, photography, music etc instead of pursuing a 'real' job. Only a small percentage even make it anywhere near to becoming professional.

I don't mean to sound cynical and it is not pleasant for anyone to lose their job but at the end of the day they're more than likely to find a job elsewhere playing football or doing something related. Most of us never even have the chance to be in a job that we enjoy anywhere near as much as they do!

Fair point, nobody wants to be out of work, but anybody who's employed on fixed term contracts knows the deal and if we're being realistic here, plans accordingly. At least with footballers, most of them are still young enough to retrain, if it comes down to it, or even head to university. Which they could also plan for while still playing (for some reason, foreign players seem a lot better at using their considerable leisure time as a footballer to study)

Your average Joe, made redundant at 45 when he's got a mortgage and two kids, is in a far worse position.

So I don't think the players need to be verbally abused, but I also consider there to be plenty of people out there slightly more deserving of sympathy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here