Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Todays Goings on...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
This may seem a bit of a rant, but its not a pop at anyone specific, but i would like to say there are several young men who have all lost there livley hoods today which is bang out of order and the reaction of some people on here is def not needed as much as you didnt rate them as players they have still lost there jobs and i wish them all well for the future with whatever they may go on to do in football or elsewhere.

anyway sounds like im being a bit up my own arse but i suppose theres noway i would want anyone being happy if i had just lost my job and all i have known since leaving school.

Rant over.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
All this about players being unemployed is baffling and rather f***ing annoying. Players get released all the time but still find new clubs. How many players do you know who give up there careers at 21+? So they might drop down a league or two,so what? They are never out of work for a long period of time.Some people need to get a grip.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
its not as easy as being released from a club and walking straight into a new one, and its not like they have to many divisions to fall back on, yes they are 20-25 but and more than likely will play at some level of football but will that set them up for life, more than likely not, maybe a few of these players are going to realise things are not going to be what they once might thought and its going to come to a huge blow to all the lads.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We've had a horrible season so clearly a clear-out is required, and most will of those who've seen first team action will find other clubs. I feel sorry for some of the kids, though.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
All this about players being unemployed is baffling and rather f***ing annoying. Players get released all the time but still find new clubs. How many players do you know who give up there careers at 21+? So they might drop down a league or two,so what? They are never out of work for a long period of time.Some people need to get a grip.

How many of our players released in the past few years are now professional footballers?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
(reply to algie)

Yes, I can see where you're coming from. It sort of goes with the territory of being a professional footballer.
The job may not be strong on job security, but I (and I suspect many others on here) would love to have been lucky enough to have a few years being paid for playing football (although in my case I admit more than luck would have been required; the ability to kick the ball in the direction I wanted it to go would have helped!)
Most of the lads released will, I suspect, have a contract somewhere by July. One or two may have to settle for an 'ordinary' job somewhere, but that's always been the way.

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I totally agree that yes in 6 months time they may have somthing sorted, but right now surley the only thing going through your head must be 'f***'. although saying that id love to of had the chance they have had, not to say it should make them grateful for the chance they have had and just get on with it.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
How many of our players released in the past few years are now professional footballers?
I'm sure there are loads.Albert Jarrett actually went into the prem.Gatting chose cricket.Jones went to Yeovil,Butters non league(age)Mcphee and plenty of kids play in non league. Some players are simply not cut out to be pro footballers.Thats life.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm sure there are loads.Albert Jarrett actually went into the prem.Gatting chose cricket.Jones went to Yeovil,Butters non league(age)Mcphee and plenty of kids play in non league. Some players are simply not cut out to be pro footballers.Thats life.

My point was that there are plenty of our youngsters that are released and drop into non-league, which is NOT professional. The 'f***ing annoying' and 'get a grip' was unnecessarily blunt, in my opinion. I take your point about the older pro's/journey men.

Gatting was very lucky that he was better at cricket than football. Even named a Wisden's player of the month!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This may seem a bit of a rant, but its not a pop at anyone specific, but i would like to say there are several young men who have all lost there livley hoods today which is bang out of order and the reaction of some people on here is def not needed as much as you didnt rate them as players they have still lost there jobs and i wish them all well for the future with whatever they may go on to do in football or elsewhere.

anyway sounds like im being a bit up my own arse but i suppose theres noway i would want anyone being happy if i had just lost my job and all i have known since leaving school.

Rant over.

What you seem to overlook is these players are contracted for a period of time. If or when that period expires they are no longer employed by the club. Its not bang out of order but a fact within their profession. The manager is of the opinion that to take the club forwards he does not require their services. Thats life. I not gloating though I have been slated for my opinion that the likes of Mayo have had a bloody good return for the time they have been at the club and I'm pleased they are going. We move on hopefully to better times.

This club has for many years, going back to Bamber days has been run like an old boys club We are venturing into a new era. We need and the future demands that we become far better and professional about the way the club is run. Slade has stated this in regard to backroom staffing and is now obviously taking it through to the playing staff. There is no room for slacking. The club within a very short time has to become a relatively large football club with an effective infrastructure that can support a new stadium. The club needs to prove that it is ready for this.

Its called progress.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
What you seem to overlook is these players are contracted for a period of time. If or when that period expires they are no longer employed by the club. Its not bang out of order but a fact within their profession. The manager is of the opinion that to take the club forwards he does not require their services. Thats life. I not gloating though I have been slated for my opinion that the likes of Mayo have had a bloody good return for the time they have been at the club and I'm pleased they are going. We move on hopefully to better times.

Nail head. Do you get this upset when people working in an office or other trade on fix-term contracts do not have it renewed? It is part and parcel of being a footballer. Yes I am sure that they are upset but I support Brighton and Hove Albion and though I wish all the players released the best for the future I am not going to dwell on it for any length of time. This time next month (okay just over a month) we will be moaning about the fact that we have Norwich away on a frecking Tuesday night just before Christmas, that we have no pre season friendlies against anyone higher up the football pyramid then County League 7 and that the boy we signed from [insert club name here] is not good enough. We will then forget about the players released until someone starts a thread with a title like "[insert players name] signs for [insert club]". We will then have 5 pages of I knew that was his level, I always thought he could have made it and I saw him in McDonalds replies and promptly forget about them again.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
They know what they are getting in to - potentially very big rewards over a short period of time in a precarious profession rather than leaving school and working for BT or the council or gardening or whatever like the rest of us. In effect they are contractors.

But you still have to feel some sympathy for these guys - we have idolised (some of) them and they would not hope to have to find another role. I think my sympathy is reserved for those players who really gave their all (not every player does this remember) and then get piles of abuse on here. Kerry Mayo for example has really done a great job and a FANS first reaction should be to congratulate him and perhaps keep the "he's a red haired c unt and I hope his cat is run over" shit to themsleves.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think the point is, that the comments on this board over the releases, were frankly a little embarrassing. Some comments were down right rude and offensive, others were sniping at just about anyone they could. How about showing some good grace to these players, believe it or not all of them will have done their best, and now have the difficult task of moving into a new position. Every time each one of them pulled on a blue and white striped shirt I got behind them. Sure I didn't think some of them were good enough for us at times, but they were what we had, they were Albion players, and deserve a little better than was posted on here yesterday.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Whilst everybody realises that players get released what has annoy me (and I am sure quite a few others) is the obvious glee of some posters. Whilst some of the released never really made the sort of effort we expect most tried their best and it's clear that many people are not impressed with some of the decisions.

However it's the obnoxious gloating of a handful that irks me.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Superphil's got it right.

The wallowing, sneering tone of some of yesterday's thread starters was pathetic. Slade has earned the right to make these decisions but players like Mayo and Robinson did not deserve any abuse whatsoever from Brighton "fans".

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
The thing that I find funny is that the people who are slagging off the players have probably never even played football to a decent level and acctually have no clue about being a professional footballer!

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I think the point is, that the comments on this board over the releases, were frankly a little embarrassing. Some comments were down right rude and offensive, others were sniping at just about anyone they could. How about showing some good grace to these players, believe it or not all of them will have done their best, and now have the difficult task of moving into a new position. Every time each one of them pulled on a blue and white striped shirt I got behind them. Sure I didn't think some of them were good enough for us at times, but they were what we had, they were Albion players, and deserve a little better than was posted on here yesterday.

I couldn't agree more.

I was shocked by some of the comments on here yesterday. Fortunately not all Albion supporters sank so low as to dish out the mindless, moronic, ignorant, childish abuse that some did about Kerry Mayo.

400 games for the Albion with total loyalty and commitment and he gets that. Unbelievable.

Reading some of the drivel that appears on NSC depresses me far more about the Albion than anything that happens on the pitch.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
But to balance that Knotty - there were as many, if not more, comments from the sane majority congratulating Kerry on his long career and thanking him for all his effort. So let's not forget that there are a great many people on here who have shown the level of decency you would hope to find at The Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here