Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Todays Argus report on the back page

Sergi Gotsmanov

Feb 23, 2004
West of Palookaville
Know what you mean about someone on the left who can cross the ball.

If only we had a experienced player in his prime who could score a few as well.

Still if we did I expect we would sell him to someone like Ipswich for a bargain 250K...............

.................oh yeah we did.

Richie Morris said:
I think that there is a difference between getting the ball and dribbling with it and winning throw ons and free kicks, which McCammon does very well, and holding the ball up and bringing our midfield into the game.

....or maybe, holding up the ball, laying it off so Virgs can score, as on Tuesday.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot agree with MM on this occassion I believe that we need Virgo at the back.

If we do not conceed another goal this season we will stay up, so the priority has got to be to keep clean sheets at the moment and 'nick' a goal as and when.

sneakychef

Oct 28, 2004
Stroud Green
Well when it comes down to it it's not about the few players we have got who can put a good ball into the box, because it's true, we only have one. Knight is the only player in three seasons who has even looked slightly capable of it.
Watson had it at one point, but has been going down hill ever since he missed those two penalties in that one game. Psychological or not he hasn't been the same player since and he's certainly had the time.
MM :)drink: :drink: :drink: etc) is just showing his brilliance by playing him on the wing, proving he has an eye for a player and an understanding of what he has to work with.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I reckon people have a real blind spot about McCammon. The player I saw on Tuesday may well not be the same one people slag off, cos he held the ball up, bought midfielders into play, turned and ran at defenders, won headers and linked up with his strike partner for the goal.
I get the impression some of you made your mind up about him based on the reports of Millwalls fans.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Its no good having the front 2 holding the ball up if the midfield dont get up and support them. We only did that on Tuesday after Hammond came on. He must start on Monday if MM plays Virgs and Big mac up front

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Spot on Stinky. Wigan, especially in the first half always had midfielders getting ahead of the front two. Virgo and McCammon often had no-one else anywhere near them.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Voroshilov said:
I reckon people have a real blind spot about McCammon. The player I saw on Tuesday may well not be the same one people slag off, cos he held the ball up, bought midfielders into play, turned and ran at defenders, won headers and linked up with his strike partner for the goal.
I get the impression some of you made your mind up about him based on the reports of Millwalls fans.

Let's face it, a lot of people made up their minds about McCammon the moment he signed for us. No matter what he does he will never be fully accepted or afforded "legend" status. Some people still don't like Knight because of his diving last season, some people won't accept McCammon because he looks a bit clumsy.

Watching the goals last night (and how good was Teale's strike to make it 3-0?) I thought McCammon did really well to set up Virgo to make it 1-4. He showed some real good control, held off a couple of defenders and put in a good pass. He looked a lot more comfortable on Tuesday, more confident in taking people on. He's finally begin to realise that his sheer presence can put some defenders off putting in a tackle.

People just tend to take an instant dislike to certain players. I never liked Andy Kennedy, looking back he scored a few goals and wasn't that bad, but I just never liked him as a player. The blokes I used to travel to Gillingham with derided Mark Walton from the first moment he played for us. My dad has never been a big fan of Leon Knight. Everybody has a player they don't like.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Mark likes a target man up front

He has that in McCammon.

Virho should therefore play in a 5 man defence. I think it should now be a case of stopping the opposition scoring.

Credit to MM he picked a team against Plymouth and Wigan that he thought could win.

Regrettable that didnt happen. Personally I would be happy with 0-0 on Monday. I think a clean sheet would be just as much of a psychological boost as a win.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Voroshilov said:

Exactly. As I have already stated his performance was the one bright spot of a dismal evening. Coupled with the way he performed against Sunderland I think we have a new cult hero in the team.

We should get behind the guy..I think you will find he will revel in any support we give him and continue to improve. It was useful to compare him with Roberts and Ellington and to be honest there was not a great deal of difference.

Am I wearing rose tinted specs? I think not.

Last edited:

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
Let's face it, a lot of people made up their minds about McCammon the moment he signed for us. No matter what he does he will never be fully accepted or afforded "legend" status. Some people still don't like Knight because of his diving last season, some people won't accept McCammon because he looks a bit clumsy.

Good call but Leon diving LAST season!!!!. ??? i think he's been even more obvious with it this season. I still do not believe we have seen the best of McCammon yet. Unlike the so called legen Leon, McCammon gives 100%. There's not a lot more you can ask for especially when someone as talented as Leon only gives 75%. With McCammon and Virgs up front at least we will be defending from the front which has always been the biggest downfall of Leon playing there (apart from his diving and his lack of goals!.:lolol: ).

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
And it cannot be a coencidence that since McCammon has come into the team (Stoke at Home in December) we have looked much more of a threat going forward.

I think that's why McGhee is after another Striker so he can put him with Mac up front and bring Virgo back into the defence his best position.

I thought leon played well on Tuesday night, he put some excellent crosses in and on another night Mac could have scored a couple himself.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Big Mac can't be a target man on his own but have two target men up front and then we look threatening.

Leon is excellent at getting crosses in and that is the way to go. Hopefully McPhee will be useful as well, probably coming off the bench as a fresh pair of legs.

Get El Abd back in defence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here