Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Today

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I had today and next week down as the game that exposes Potter’s style with our lesser players and a good chance of a heavy defeat. I am disappointed but not vaguely surprised about what happened today. Hopefully we can get away as lightly next week.

Put it another way, when did we last look remotely capable of beating a top six team in form? Yes we’ve beaten an on strike United team twice and an out of sorts Spurs side, other than that I just remember us being put to the sword and being outplayed.

We have some pretty demanding fans although it would be nice to give these sides a decent game one day, most other teams like us pull off the occasional big shock. Not something the Albion have done since we got promoted.

From an always positive Albion fan, your honest assessment of our games against top teams, carries greater weight!

CP and Bmuff got their famous wins by decent numbers being kept back, but with two or three players with real pace mugging the top 6 on the counter. Almost unfair, but it worked.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
For me GP’s trying to do a plumbers job with a carpenters tools, a lot of the first team squad are not suited to his preferred style and it will be 2 steps forwards and 1 back until he fills the squad with players he feels suit his way of playing.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Very poor performance could or should have been 3/4 down at half time. The so called good spell we had still didnt create a chance. Potter knew how they would play but still defenders got too close to Vardy etc so allowing them to turn and be away so many times. We signed Burn as a Central defender, Not his fault but terrible full back. I think our 2 best midfielders are Mooy and Alzate but it seems Stevens and Propper are destined to play every game
It is a worry that we could have conceded 12/14 goals in last 2 games and Everton were unlucky not to win. Last sides to play gung ho were Huddersfield who changed when too late and Norwich at the start of this season.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I thought we missed the best English centre back in the premier league, but I guess most teams would.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I had today and next week down as the game that exposes Potter’s style with our lesser players and a good chance of a heavy defeat. I am disappointed but not vaguely surprised about what happened today. Hopefully we can get away as lightly next week.

Put it another way, when did we last look remotely capable of beating a top six team in form? Yes we’ve beaten an on strike United team twice and an out of sorts Spurs side, other than that I just remember us being put to the sword and being outplayed.

We have some pretty demanding fans although it would be nice to give these sides a decent game one day, most other teams like us pull off the occasional big shock. Not something the Albion have done since we got promoted.

Surely we've given big 6 teams "a decent game" on several occasions since we came up.

Surely we have pulled off the occasional big shock. You can't just dismiss the ones where we've beaten them as not counting because they played badly, well maybe they played badly because we didn't let them play well

There's been plenty more big 6 games, where we've been well in the match in the last 20 mins than games where we haven't and we still haven't been truly stuffed once

Our record in these games stacks up ok against comparable teams to us

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We missed Connolly and Alzate big time

Pace, composure and fearlessness of youth

Leicester were very good in defence and lightning quick up front. We were beaten by a better team.....who were and still are 2nd in the league. I won’t lose any sleep over this.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Well I thought we were on top in the second half and their goal was completely against the run of play. We were lucky to go in at half time 0.0 for sure.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We missed Connolly and Alzate big time

Pace, composure and fearlessness of youth

And Dunk.

And Gross. Why on earth did he not come on before our first two substitutions? He may not be be the fastest player but at least he is premier League quality.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well I thought we were on top in the second half and their goal was completely against the run of play. We were lucky to go in at half time 0.0 for sure.

Yep.

We were stuffed out of sight in the first half but rode our luck to go in all square.

We were then the better side for the first 15 minutes or so of the second half until Leicester scored a typical Leicester goal - not many can live with that kind of pace - before we gifted them the penalty for the second.

The right result in the end though - they’re a very decent outfit.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

With that attitude, you'd might as well be a pundit on Sky or match of the day. We played brilliantly against Spurs as we have against Man Utd, at the Amex in past seasons. Yet you give us no credit for those victories at all. Try to enjoy our good performances rather than excusing the 'big' teams performances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
With that attitude, you'd might as well be a pundit on Sky or match of the day. We played brilliantly against Spurs as we have against Man Utd, at the Amex in past seasons. Yet you give us no credit for those victories at all. Try to enjoy our good performances rather than excusing the 'big' teams performances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh I give us credit for those games, they were fantastic. What I was trying to say is that we can’t compete with in form top teams, none of those results were against a team in form. That is not a criticism, I can see why we struggle against them, especially with the way we are playing, which I love.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
My view? We were on the back foot for all of the first half. We missed key players today, especially Dunk who would have added composure to the side. Leicester are not 2nd in the table by chance, they were the better side and deserved their win. We, too, are a much better side than last season - definitely work in progress, so we will have days like today, will learn from it and improve.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
We started to in the second half and then they cut through us like butter for their first goal

First half our midfield played very deep providing two close lines of defence and with a bit of luck and some dogged midfield we held them 0-0 second half our midfield moved up leaving just Stephens just in front of defence and we gave them a game but it played into their strength and on the break as you say hot knife through butter, but we gave them a game and had we scored during that patch well who knows.
I don't think GP substitutions helped on this occasion

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
For me GP’s trying to do a plumbers job with a carpenters tools, a lot of the first team squad are not suited to his preferred style and it will be 2 steps forwards and 1 back until he fills the squad with players he feels suit his way of playing.

A succinct way of putting it! I hope some of our fans realise that Potter’s style of play is a long term project, and yes, we have players at present who are not the perfect fit. That will change in time, either with new players coming in or existing squad members being able to adapt. Despite the ups and downs and with only 13 League games under his belt Graham Potter’s way of doing things seems to be working. How many of us would have welcomed being 12th in the table heading into December at the beginning of the season?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Albeit without testing Schmeicel once. They rode our early second half pressure well (although they did start making similar mistakes to what we were making first half - maybe the weather wasn't helping though) and then sucker punched us on the break, as Leicester often do. Very very impressive away performance from them. They'll finish top 4 easily

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
A succinct way of putting it! I hope some of our fans realise that Potter’s style of play is a long term project, and yes, we have players at present who are not the perfect fit. That will change in time, either with new players coming in or existing squad members being able to adapt. Despite the ups and downs and with only 13 League games under his belt Graham Potter’s way of doing things seems to be working. How many of us would have welcomed being 12th in the table heading into December at the beginning of the season?

Nowhere near good enough for a certain poster, it seems. We should be top 4 at least by now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here