Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today in 1979

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Croydonbloke said:
Rubbish. We had a massive following back then and Atrracted a few 40,000 plus crowds the 79/80 season. We were actually one of the best supported London clubs back in the 1970`s even in the old 3rd division. We in actual fact had a 37,000 plus crowd in division 4 so there Ner, Ner, Ner, Ner.

Here it is for the record.

The ground holds the record for the old Division Four (now Division Three) attendance for Palace v Millwall in 1961 when 37,774 turned out.

Remember Jackanory??? (sp?)

Albaman

Equatorial Splitter
Apr 22, 2006
Singapore lah
Croydonbloke said:
Rubbish. We had a massive following back then and Atrracted a few 40,000 plus crowds the 79/80 season. We were actually one of the best supported London clubs back in the 1970`s even in the old 3rd division. We in actual fact had a 37,000 plus crowd in division 4 so there Ner, Ner, Ner, Ner.

The ground holds the record for the old Division Four (now Division Three) attendance for Palace v Millwall in 1961 when 37,774 turned out.

So was that the world beating team of the 80's then, so what happened next.

Ansty Seagull

Oct 5, 2005
Ansty
Arrived late and they'd had a goal disallowed. We scored the minute I got into the ground. I remember the half time ruck and Teddy Maybank's T-Shirt when we encountered the players at Newcastle Manors - `Wanker of the Week'. Kept a bit of the turf growing at home for about four years 'til my dad lobbed it, thinking it was a weed.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Croydonbloke said:

20,000 OF THEM WERE COPPERS, AND YOU KNOW IT:lolol: :lolol:

I remember being aloud to stay up and watch the highlights of the game (not sure if that was match of the day or whatever the ITV versions was then!!)

Actually do you remember that!! Saturday night with two highlight programmes!!!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Working in Weymouth at the time and my boss wouldn't let me have the day off, until he changed his mind at lunchtime !!

Hitched to Burgess Hill and spent the evening in the pub before being one of the thousands at Brighton station to welcome them home. Remembering that still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Got home at 4am after having to walk from Haywards Heath station back to Burgess Hill.

Gutted I missed that game. Its the one game I regret missing above all others. TGC's DVD is great, but no consolation for those that weren't there

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here