Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toby Agdestein

Eastbourne Stripes

Smith must score
Jun 8, 2009
Eastbourne
I have never seen this lad play and was a little dissapointed that he wasnt given a run out at the end of last season. After his two goals yesterday and overall scoring record for the development squad, how far away is he from making a first team breakthrough? Like to hear your views

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Although I haven't seen him play, so perhaps not best positioned to answer, I think that unfortunately for him he's further away from the first team than he was last year. Even though he's undoubtedly improved over the year, the Championship will be a big step up for him to start off in, and the competition for places he has this year has become a lot harder. I'd quite like to see him go on loan to a League 1/2 club to see how he gets on, but I'm not sure that's Gus's way of doing things.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I suspect Gus is a believer in the old adage "if you are good enough you will play........." so will select him if and when he thinks it will benefit the team. However the fact that we have stepped up a level to the championship can probably only have delayed his potential breakthrough unless he is genuinely exceptional and that has to be the right way to proceed surely...

I agree with the idea of players potentially going out on loan but the concept of the Development Squad is to bring players through to a level where they can compete and to ensure that they can slot in to our playing style when they are ready. For that reason I think fringe first teamers are more likely to go on short term loan to stay match fit while DS squad members stay and learn although each case would be individually assessed as there will often be a point where experience elsewhere benefits the club more. I'm sure Gus and his coaches will make the right calls even though our experience so far is that everyone Gus has loaned out has subsequently left (Steve Cook aside).

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Disappointed that he played yesterday so unlikely to figure today but we can live in hope of being able to see him. The upside is that we should see the new signings today for 1 half.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Although I haven't seen him play, so perhaps not best positioned to answer, I think that unfortunately for him he's further away from the first team than he was last year. Even though he's undoubtedly improved over the year, the Championship will be a big step up for him to start off in, and the competition for places he has this year has become a lot harder. I'd quite like to see him go on loan to a League 1/2 club to see how he gets on, but I'm not sure that's Gus's way of doing things.

This!

Is the same with Dunk and Forster-Caskey. Will have improved and Jake clearly has from his displays for England, but feel they'd all be able to play a part in L1 or start in L2 but Champ is prob a step too far without at least half a season experience somewhere on loan.

That said I think TA will be the only one of the 3 allowed out on loan currently due to squad depth

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Remember he's still only 19, even if he doesn't break into the first team for another couple of years it's not a problem. Better to wait until he's ready rather than start him too early and ruin him.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Following on from BG's comment, it was interesting to see that Poke played yesterday which confirms that the pecking order for goalkeepers is currently Ankergren and Brezovan as numbers 1 and 2.

I suspect today will see line ups something like

Ankergren Hart Greer Hall Painter Buckley Kishishev Bridcutt Smith Mackail-Smith Barnes

Brezovan Calderon Dunk Cook Taricco Sparrow Kasim Dicker Noone Hoskins Bergkamp

May 8, 2008
Portslade
Seems not many of us have had the chance to see him play. Would be good if Gus gave him pitch time against Spurs so we can make our own minds up against decent opposition. If he never gets a chance what was the point in bringing him here?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Following on from BG's comment, it was interesting to see that Poke played yesterday which confirms that the pecking order for goalkeepers is currently Ankergren and Brezovan as numbers 1 and 2.

Ankergren Hart Greer Hall Painter Buckley Kishishev Bridcutt Smith Mackail-Smith Barnes

I think it will be a mix up of 1st team and squad/ Developement players then a complete new team for the 2nd half made of the same but those that havent played today. That is what happened last year so at least 24 players some of whom will be trailists who you haven't listed . So it will be a starting XI with trialists and a cameo appearance for a short time for some of the established players like possibly Bridcutt, Calderon Painter etc depending on what positions are being trialled.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

There'll be some trialists according to gossip this week...

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Toby and Jake -- stars for the (very near) future if all the word is only half correct. Hopefully we've got them shackled on good contracts - they'll start to get impatient at some point

Eastbourne Stripes

Smith must score
Jun 8, 2009
Eastbourne
It seems that the general feeling is that Toby has little or no chance of making the first team squad,do you feel that Bergkamp is also here just to make up the numbers or is he of a higher standard? as i know little about Dutch football,just wondering as there is rumur of Barnes possibly going and four strikers surely a must!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Toby and Jake -- stars for the (very near) future if all the word is only half correct. Hopefully we've got them shackled on good contracts - they'll start to get impatient at some point

from memory both have contracts that expire in June 2012 so a crucial year for them and for the club.

Interested to see the comments that we might have triallists playing today. I really love this time of the year when there are new faces and the place comes alive with opportunity and promise and hopes. It really is what being a football fan (and specifically the supporter of a particular club) is all about

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Only seen him play in the SSC semi final last season but he looked sharp – albeit only against Horsham.

It will be interesting to see how he does next weekend in the final.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
It's a shame really, was hoping to see him play at the end of season myself. Having seen him last season in a couple of development squad games, I was really impressed and reckon we have an absolute bargain buy in our squad.

Gus obviously has faith in him, otherwise he wouldn't give Torbjorn a new contract.

In Gus We Trust is all I have to say people. He obviously has a plan.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It seems that the general feeling is that Toby has little or no chance of making the first team squad,do you feel that Bergkamp is also here just to make up the numbers or is he of a higher standard? as i know little about Dutch football,just wondering as there is rumur of Barnes possibly going and four strikers surely a must!

Pretty confident Barnes is not leaving anytime soon!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
seen him play 6/7 times.very suprised that gus and tanno and charlie rate him so highly,looks way of the mark for me,not strong enough for league 1 ,let alone championship.
But in gus we trust.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here