Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To what extent is Bloom responsible for Falmer?

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
Everyone talks about Mr Bloom stumping up £93 million for the stadium, but from memory that's the TOTAL cost of construction. I remember reading somewhere that grants from Sport England, SEEDA Etc meant that he only(!) stumped up around £54 million. Does anyone know how accurate this figure is? It seems a lot of free money to me.

Sep 1, 2010
Joint effort in my opinion, between Dick & Tony. They have both put their heart and soul into getting this stadium and have delivered, i do not think it is a simple matter of one over the other.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
If it was not for DK and the other shareholders we would not here, and if it was not for TB we would have no stadium and no future.

These guys need to be personally congratulated and when some people on here say TB should open his wallet to buy more players, it really pi**es me off and I mean pi**es me off.

We are so so lucky to have people that really love this club. We are so so lucky to have so many people are committed money or not to help the Albion.

For example look at work Jack Straw, Everest, Barry Izbak, Natterjack and myself have put in to bring you pictures from the new stadium. I don't know any other club that has made more effort to show the construction of their own stadiums.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Joint effort in my opinion, between Dick & Tony. They have both put their heart and soul into getting this stadium and have delivered, i do not think it is a simple matter of one over the other.

Is almost the correct answer IMHO. We do need to add in Martin Perry though who seems to have been very over looked but did a lot of the donkey work to get planning permission.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Everyone talks about Mr Bloom stumping up £93 million for the stadium, but from memory that's the TOTAL cost of construction. I remember reading somewhere that grants from Sport England, SEEDA Etc meant that he only(!) stumped up around £54 million. Does anyone know how accurate this figure is? It seems a lot of free money to me.

Weren't SEEDA going to stump up £5m or something ? Then there was lottery money to apply for I thought. Maybe we didn't need to take out any loans, but surely we wouldn't turn down free money.

SW17

Jan 2, 2007
South London
If it was not for DK and the other shareholders we would not here, and if it was not for TB we would have no stadium and no future.

These guys need to be personally congratulated and when some people on here say TB should open his wallet to buy more players, it really pi**es me off and I mean pi**es me off.

We are so so lucky to have people that really love this club. We are so so lucky to have so many people are committed money or not to help the Albion.

For example look at work Jack Straw, Everest, Barry Izbak, Natterjack and myself have put in to bring you pictures from the new stadium. I don't know any other club that has made more effort to show the construction of their own stadiums.

Spot on, Bloom is easily the shrewdest businessman around and has a ridiculous knowledge of football. He won't pay over the odds for anything or anyone. He was never going to throw money around in the summer but we're top of the league and unstoppable so how anyone can complain is beyond me

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Agree with the general feeling on this thread - Dick got the planning permission, Tony stepped in when the Banks went into meltdown. We've been lucky to have both. Happy to see threads like this in case anyone at the club reads them.

Some of the moaning on here (especially the odd idiot about DK) really makes me angry. We've had a tough time, but in some respects have been very very lucky. Let's hope it continues.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
It's reasonable to assume that a substantial proportion of the money put up front will be repaid from future income. What proportion and how quickly? Therein lies the risk that Tony Bloom has taken on. He is clearly more prepared than the banks were in 2007/08 to carry a risk like this, and for that we are all extremely grateful.

Maybe Tony Bloom like me backs the tips from "Arts v Science". A million e/w on "Hoofing It" Saturday arvo could have paid for Wayne Rooney - on loan.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nope.

Apart from vague references to "property", "hedge funds" and the sale of Premierbet.

In all fairness this is often as much as the public know about a lot of rich people. Even established "rich lists" which have the backing of investigative journos often make estimates and presumptions. The point I'm trying to make is I do not think there is anything more clandestine about Tony's finances than many other similarly placed individuals.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
On Sky's poker coverage the other day, one of the commentators (another pro poker player) said that Bloom was "one of the most successful high stakes sports gamblers in the WORLD".

Not sure he trawls here too often for racing tips though...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here