Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To what extent are the media in step with football fans' feelings?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've just been reading an article on the BBC website about hype, hope, expectations and so on. It made the point that (or rather I inferred from it) that the media set the agenda (or try to) for football fans' expectations. Conversely I found them, for the most part, out of step with how I felt about England in South Africa.

I feel that they like to set themselves up not only to be the nation's emotional barometer, but to try and influence and manipulate it. Granted, they've largely reined themselves in in comparison to the cringeworthy headlines of the past, but - and this is where the crux is - how much do they know of how most fans think?

To answer that, you'd have to get inside the mind of 'most fans'. The important point is that I find that the papers (and I am including some of the higher quality sports writers here) and the radio (to a lesser extent the TV), when talking about how we're supposed to be feeling, are mainly addressing the occasional supporters, or those who only get excited about football once in every four years - not necessarily the people who have the intellectual maturity to appreciate that football has its ups and downs, and is all not steeped in glory, fame, money and OK! magazine features.

How any given individual expects England to do, and how we cope with success and failure can often be (though certainly not always) in line with the individual's political leanings, but the media so rarely go that far to get that viewpoint over - it's the soundbite we're treated and not much else.

Fact is, I have not found one person who feels angry or bitter or cheated (I'm sure some might; maybe it's just the circles I move in); it's been more a sense of finally accepting that English football (certainly the 'top end') needs to take another good, hard look at itself, combined with the despondency and lack of expectation that anything particularly positive will emerge from this.

I'm not getting that from reading the newspapers; what I am more getting is little more than a sense of wounded national pride, which is not what I feel.

But then, that might just only be me.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Well the papers are harping on about people want Capello out and Redknapp is the people's choice to take over and not one person I have spoken to agrees with that (the second part at least).

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
You're not the only one hon - I feel similarly. As usual these days, it's the old 'Chicken & Egg' scenario regarding the way the media reflect &/or direct popular opinion. I'm sure the anti-En-ger-land ire won't last long though. It'll die a death once Capello gets replaced with the new great white English hope, & the forthcoming Premiershite kick off becomes their standard obsession. Same old, same old.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I agree with TT as soon as the so called best league in the world kicks off it will all be forgotten by the media and the "fans".

Until we fail (if we fail) to qualify for 2012 Euros that is - then they will have another field day.

I think it was Venables who said "people think we (England) are the best team in the world or the worst, the truth is we are neither"

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
if the papers tell people that capello is shit and most go, then worryingly a large number of people will just believe it because its written by so called experts

having said that, nobody i have spoken to who is knowledgable about football think that sacking the manager is the answer. the players arent good enough, and the only people who think they are and that harry redknapp is the man for the job are those who sit infront of the televison and listen to the utter gash spouted by sky sports about the best league in the world

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
We do not manage pre tournament expectation well, whether that is the fault of the media, the players or the management I don't know. Compare our pre tournament expectations with Germany's, they were saying we have a young team and we may come good in Euro 2012 or the next World Cup. Result German players relax and go out and play well, we must stop putting so much pressure on ourselves.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Immediately after the game the general feeling on here seemed to be the players were at fault, the people interviewed on tv were in full support of capello. I stayed home yesterday and had SSN on for a while in the background and every one of their world cup pieces were about capello out. The pundits they paid to come on wanted capello out, the fans they interviewed wanted him out. It just seemed so at odds with what I'd seen the day before. Even on here there seemed to be more anti-capello sentiment yesterday than there was on sunday.

Were the fans turning causding the media to follow, or was it the other way around? I don't know.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I must admit i have not read any paper since 2 weeks before the world cup due to how out of touch from reality they seemed to be with all things England.

I wonder how a national team would of performned if there was no press reports leading up to the world cup. The pressure would of certainly be much much less

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
i think its a little of both dependant on what media you choose to consume..

Most/all media will drive their own agenda, some choose to portray it as the peoples opinion. ie the sun seem to believe every piece of drivel they print is the word of the poeple and as such represents what the public are saying.

Sky are just as bad and will go looking for people who will echo the story they want to publish/show. After all it serves their aims much better to sensationalize any story they can.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
The Evening Standard Toilet Paper in London told us all yesterday that the FA were poised to make a shock swoop for Beckham to become England coach.

Sounds like the journo trained on NSC - say stuff enough times, convince yourself and go public with it (a la Murray stories, to name but one)...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I wonder how a national team would of performned if there was no press reports leading up to the world cup. The pressure would of certainly be much much less

I keep meaning to go up to the National Newspaper Library and have a look at the tabs before the 1966 WC. My memory is a bit indistinct (I was only 9 at the time) but I don't recall too much in the papers about the cup. Certainly, when England won, the coverage was very restrained.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
"The use of television has been a source of controversy in the sport, but experts insist it offers a fool-proof method for determining whether a team is good at football or whether it is simply a collection of absurdly over-compensated, second-rate commercial brands with ghastly, vulgar wives, locked in a sado-masochistic relationship with a cretinous media that merely reflects a society that has taken its natural intelligence, its sense of perspective and its values and violently drowned them all in a bucket of piss."

:clap2: :clap2:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I am on the Capello OUT bandwagon, but have been on that for the past year to be honest.

Im leading the media not being led by it.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
One pundit - possibly Gareth Southgate - summed it up for me when he said it would be a waste of time and money to sack Capello. He's a proven quality manager who has just gone through his first ever tournament finals as an international manager, of course he's going to make mistakes but he will learn from them. It's a different situation to qualifiers and running a club side.

We run the risk of paying £6M to sack a better version of the same manager that we hired a couple of years ago, just to give someone like 'Arry the chance to spend 2 years learning about HIS first job in international football. We need to give Capello a proper chance as he has demonstrated elsewhere that he is more than capable of getting very good results. So far he's managed us for 28 games - ie just over half a season in L1 terms and aside from the last few games he's done well in my book. If we get to Christmas this year and we've generally done well but have underperformed in our last 5 games will you want Poyet to be sacked? Thought not. If we keep changing the manager every time we don't win the Euros or the World Cup then we'll just go through the same old circus every 2 years. However 'Give Capello a chance' probably doesn't sell as many papers as 'Sack him and get in 'Arry' does it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
One pundit - possibly Gareth Southgate - summed it up for me when he said it would be a waste of time and money to sack Capello. He's a proven quality manager who has just gone through his first ever tournament finals as an international manager, of course he's going to make mistakes but he will learn from them. It's a different situation to qualifiers and running a club side.

We run the risk of paying £6M to sack a better version of the same manager that we hired a couple of years ago, just to give someone like 'Arry the chance to spend 2 years learning about HIS first job in international football. We need to give Capello a proper chance as he has demonstrated elsewhere that he is more than capable of getting very good results. So far he's managed us for 28 games - ie just over half a season in L1 terms and aside from the last few games he's done well in my book. If we get to Christmas this year and we've generally done well but have underperformed in our last 5 games will you want Poyet to be sacked? Thought not. If we keep changing the manager every time we don't win the Euros or the World Cup then we'll just go through the same old circus every 2 years. However 'Give Capello a chance' probably doesn't sell as many papers as 'Sack him and get in 'Arry' does it.

All interesting points, but are the media reflecting what you're feeling about all this?

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
If the press are going on about wounded national pride then they really are self indulgent navel gazers, that attitude will get the English game nowhere fast.

The game needs new ideas and the old structures ( and I include the Premier league in this ) need to be examined and reviewed to understand how they affect the quality and quantity of players the national team can pool from. If they are found that they limit the skill of English born players ( because we've given the best opportunities in the game to foreigners as a consequence ), then those structures have to be dismantled and rebuilt in a new form.

Journalists have no experience of this so won't understand how to set the agenda. I suggest that other sports administrators are the people we should be listening to, some fleet street hack's opinion is frankly irrelevant.

What the game in this country needs is change, and management of that change can only come from the top ( that is the board, President, leadership call it what you will of the FA, the games Governing body ), not from the media.

I expect the rest of the media comments and this thread to keep repeating the same tired old mantra ' The Premier League is the best League in the World '.

Well guess what, it's only because it has some of the best foreigners playing in it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If the press are going on about wounded national pride then they really are self indulgent navel gazers, that attitude will get the English game nowhere fast.

The game needs new ideas and the old structures ( and I include the Premier league in this ) need to be examined and reviewed to understand how they affect the quality and quantity of players the national team can pool from. If they are found that they limit the skill of English born players ( because we've given the best opportunities in the game to foreigners as a consequence ), then those structures have to be dismantled and rebuilt in a new form.

Journalists have no experience of this so won't understand how to set the agenda. I suggest that other sports administrators are the people we should be listening to, some fleet street hack's opinion is frankly irrelevant.

What the game in this country needs is change, and management of that change can only come from the top ( that is the board, President, leadership call it what you will of the FA, the games Governing body ), not from the media.

I expect the rest of the media comments and this thread to keep repeating the same tired old mantra ' The Premier League is the best League in the World '.

Well guess what, it's only because it has some of the best foreigners playing in it.

For me, for a start, what English football needs is ONE national governing body. Not three. :facepalm:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Far, far, far too sensible. I think I've seen it said before that Einstein's definition of madness was repeating the same thing but expecting a different result. Well here we are again: all we have to do is sack the manager and we'll become good at football. Honestly. This time scrapping everything and starting again WILL work. Yes. It. Will.

I suppose as long as people AREN'T expecting improvement then, yes, sacking Capello - apart from wasting twelve million quid in a payoff - is as good as keeping him. I suppose we may as well lose under Redknapp or Pearce as lose under Capello. (Ah, but of course we won't lose will we? 'Cos THIS time it'll all be ok ...)

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
For me, for a start, what English football needs is ONE national governing body. Not three. :facepalm:

I wholehearteadly agree, and the FA are the ones who should be that body.

Any league, be it Premier, Football, or Unibond Northern, sit beneath them, and defer to the rules that they impose.

English football administration has become an absurd free-for-all and it's time the thing was organised better, and regulated better.

Money ( or the pursuit of it ) has overtaken the will to succeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here