Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To those (including myself) who can't go past the Goldstone.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Here's someone else who has never set eyes on the place since I left after the Doncaster Game. But on the 6th August - whether I get a ticket or not - I will go there with my Son to bury the ghost. Like Alex Dawson I can't decide whether to then go to Falmer via Withdean or the Nelson. At the moment the Nelson is winning!

I will also finally be able to take out of my wallet the ticket stub from the Doncaster game and my return Rail ticket from Wigan to Hove for that day; which have been in there for nearly 14 years now.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Remember the great memories, go to the Goldstone and picture them. I often come out of and salute the North Stand.

Exactly, I always visualize the Goldstone when I am close by and remember the sounds and smells and the great memories of my childhood being there
If anything I deliberately pass by there sometimes
Nothing lasts forever and you can't predict the future, we would've had to move on from there sooner rather than later anyway if it hadn't been sold then

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Been past it plenty of times, but I never have and never will set foot on the site. No matter that we've got a shiny new home - and I agree we'd be keen to get out of the Goldstone by now if we'd never left, but that would be on our terms - what happened there was a desecration and should never be forgotten, not least as a reminder of the dangers of having the wrong people in charge, should Mr Bloom ever decide to move on.

Here's someone else who has never set eyes on the place since I left after the Doncaster Game. But on the 6th August - whether I get a ticket or not - I will go there with my Son to bury the ghost. Like Alex Dawson I can't decide whether to then go to Falmer via Withdean or the Nelson. At the moment the Nelson is winning!
:thumbsup: We'll be there.

HAVING A HOUSE OVERLOOKING THE GOLDSTONE IT WAS A BIT DIFFICULT TO IGNORE,IS THAT WHY I'M SO DAMAGED?:moo:

Attachments

• scan0006 (2).jpg
    scan0006 (2).jpg
    611.3 KB · Views: 174

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
HAVING A HOUSE OVERLOOKING THE GOLDSTONE IT WAS A BIT DIFFICULT TO IGNORE,IS THAT WHY I'M SO DAMAGED?:moo:

That's an absolutely terrible picture, awful. The more I think about it, I don't think I'm going to go there, even when we do have a new home. At the moment, I have wonderful memories of the Goldstone exactly as I remember it. I don't want to destroy those by seeing the reality, so whilst I accept what's happened and love having Falmer, I will resist returning even to lay to rest the ghost. In my mind's eye, the Goldstone can live forever. Will happily go to the Nelson though.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
HAVING A HOUSE OVERLOOKING THE GOLDSTONE IT WAS A BIT DIFFICULT TO IGNORE,IS THAT WHY I'M SO DAMAGED?

Rev, I spent four happy years sitting under that roof on the left of your picture. Those :censored: turned it into nothing more than a Dutch barn. Going by my principles, I can and must forgive, especially as we have such a bright future now, but I will never, ever forget. And yes, that picture hurts - very badly.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
On that 1st day at Falmer i'll be another who can, at last, go to the Goldstone (well across the road.

I now think we should have some sort of marker to show just what happened there for nearly 100 years. I'd not wanted a statue or the like before because I wouldn't have gone to see it but, now that the ghost can be laid to rest, there should be something.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
I go past it now, occasionally if the lights change against me going straight on down Sackville Road, but never never will I go in one of the shops even though Burger King is by some distance my fast food of choice. They shouldnt be there. Fact. And the new stadium will make no difference to that.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Blimey that picture is haunting. My son watched his and David Beckham's first game from under that roof. I also took Moshe Gariani there on his 9th birthday and then again a couple of weeks later when we all nearly got our heads kicked in by some pwopper nortee Sarfend boys. I remember that horrible bobbly goal by Chris Kelly for Leatherhead in 1973 like it was yesterday. It came straight towards me. I remember Spider curling one in from 25 yeards and Willie Irvine smashing one in against Aston Vanilla. That was before we graduated to the north Stand. I can't go there, not even if I have n't eaten for a week and need a Whopper or two. One day I might grow up but somehow I doubt it.

brulee

Aug 12, 2008
went back there for the first time about 6 weeks ago. my sisters got a burger van there,good burgers. didnt feel as bad as i thought it would be. some nice memories came back. going to withdean saturday. not been to a home game since the goldstone

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
are you f***ing serious?

move on old chap,

Heh heh, yeah I was being serious. I suppose the biggest problem I have about the whole mucky business is that I couldn't get a ticket for the last game, and as a result never achieved 'closure'. May sound a bit wanky, but I don't care - I'm still f***ing bitter. Falmer is a massive sugarlump though, so I guess I'll probably be able to move on.

D

Deleted User X18H

I have had no choice to go past. I avoided it for some months but if we go to Hove Park as a family or even walk down to George Street or Hove seafront it is pretty much unavoidable. 3 or 4 times in the last 14 years I have had sub conscious moments of thinking I saw the Goldstone. The most vivid was in September 2005 when my Mum was taken in to hospital by Ambulance and I had to rush home from London to the RSCH. Later that evening I went up to Hangleton to get her a change of clothes and some toiletries. Now my Mum lives at the top of Poynings Drive and as I approached the house I noticed the floodlights were on, Must be a reserve game I thought. It was only when I was packing the old dears spare nightie that I realised it was in fact the lights from the Cricket ground ,but for those few minutes for me in 2005 the Albion were back at the Goldstone.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I have always expected that the new stadium would mark the time when I could finally go past the Goldstone Ground (R.I.P.) site again. As the time has come closer though, I'm really doubting whether I will be able to. That place still represents such a huge part of my life, a solid rock, amongst the ever-changing World of my adolesence. the place is full of memories and emotion, and I do think I'd break down in tears to walk around there and see ToysRUs, or whatever is now sat where I used to stand.

No, I don't think I will be able to lay the ghost to rest, even if I went there, it will be full of ghosts, it always will be. But I've never been back, will I after August 6th? No, I'm not convinced I will. I no longer live or work anywhere near Hove. None of my friends live near the ground, there is always another window on the train as you go past. I'm not sure what the purpose will be of returning there. It's no great inconvenience to avoid it, so I think I probably always will.

I am the same. Fact is in my minds eye I can only see the Goldstone, I remember turning the TV off when we had a game on SKY when they did a pre-game piece on the Goldstone/Gillingham/Withdean situation. As I dont know what the Goldstone Retail Park looks like I can retain the integrity of my mental image of the Goldstone. I will not go past it ever as a consequence.

Jameson

I will never go there

I shudder if I have to drive by

Don't forget it was a crap place by the time we left the Goldstone

I will always hate the assert strippers who f***ed us up

Falmer will make us a better club than we ever had the opportunity to be (so was it better this way in the long run?)

Tony Bloom is probably the best person in the whole Brighton & Hove Albion world history, ever :)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I have had no choice to go past. I avoided it for some months but if we go to Hove Park as a family or even walk down to George Street or Hove seafront it is pretty much unavoidable. 3 or 4 times in the last 14 years I have had sub conscious moments of thinking I saw the Goldstone. The most vivid was in September 2005 when my Mum was taken in to hospital by Ambulance and I had to rush home from London to the RSCH. Later that evening I went up to Hangleton to get her a change of clothes and some toiletries. Now my Mum lives at the top of Poynings Drive and as I approached the house I noticed the floodlights were on, Must be a reserve game I thought. It was only when I was packing the old dears spare nightie that I realised it was in fact the lights from the Cricket ground ,but for those few minutes for me in 2005 the Albion were back at the Goldstone.

Absolutely love that. It encapsulates everything that is important in life - family and the Albion.

Obviously I have no need to ever shop at the retail outlets - there are plenty much nearer home! Regardless, I never will, under any circumstance, set foot that side of the OSR, I had planned to join the walk pre-the first game at Falmer but if I can't get a ticket I will go for the first ramp-up match instead and have a gentle, if solitary, stroll starting out from Hove Station and looping round to the goldstone in Hove Park then up to Dyke Road, just like the old days, before dropping down to Withdean and on to our new home.

Lots of memories and a few ghosts to lay along the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here