Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To those (including myself) who can't go past the Goldstone.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Will you be able to lay the ghost to rest when the Amex finally opens?

I'm still not sure. I've never been past since '97 and I can't look north out of the train window when passing through Hove.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I still don't understand how people can care that much all these years later...

Drive past it. Look at it. It's horrible. It's a retail park not a football ground.

Then take a drive up to Falmer and see how wet your pants get.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I finally laid that ghost to rest about 3 years ago. I had no choice really - my wife's best mate moved about 300 yards away from the retail park. But to be honest, if we were still in the Goldstone, we'd be itching to get out of there by now.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Couldn't bring myself to go there for about 4 years but then grandchildren came along and had to go into Toys R Us.

It was strange at first but got over it after a while. I do still think to myself that the centre circle is just about where the Star Wars stuff is stacked, though.

I think everyone who used to go to the Goldstone will never forget it and what happened, but hey, life moves on and just look at where we are now.
Onwards and upwards!!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Time to get over it and move on. We'd have been wanting/needing to move from there anyway by now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I saw it for the first time this year. I only live a mile or so away as well. I decided I wanted to do the Hove Park Run. History Man kindly gave me some nice tips on how to do the run and not see the retail park but I decided I'd go and not worry about seeing it.

We've got a lovely new stadium, a really lovely stadium, no debts and an exciting future. Bill Archer had an eye-patch the last time I saw a photo of him. Who's the winner?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I always drive around the roads to miss it but after the first game at Amex irrespective of who it is against league, friendly, or Senior Cup I will know we are 'home again' so will then go past it deliberately.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I laid that ghost to rest once we had planning permission at Falmer. Now use the stores without an issue.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I've never avoided going past it or use the shops there when the need arises. I also use Forfars/Fresh, as its the only bakers in St James Street and the staff in there are nice and one is even a long standing Albion supporter who has a ST in the South Stand.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Never had a problem. In fact I used to walk past the Goldstone on a regular basis when it was being demolished....a kind of morbid fascination really after attending matches there for the previous 30+ years.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I've never been there, seen it or driven past it, occasionally annoyingly for Mrs CG. But once Falmer is open, I will have no qualms: as somebody else said, we will be home. I like the idea of a walk from there to Falmer: it would be a milestone mission. (in much the same way that this is a milestone, my 1000th post!)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I had a look through the fences when the demolition started, but since I have avoided it at all costs. Twice been driven past it, once by the bus driver coming back from Fan United at Wimbledon/Selhurst, and another time in a friends car, both times I had my head down and didn't see anything. I guess once we're in Falmer I'll not worry any more, but tbh I have no needof ever going to the shops there, so unlikely to ever set foot in the place regardless.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I've always said I wouldnt walk on the Grave of the Goldstone until we got a new permanent home, I drive past everyday and counting down the days until I can go get a burger king. That comes after my first AMEX visit of next season.

I went and watched it being demolished, which made me actually belive that it WAS ACTUALLY HAPPENING, but, apart from one idiotic coach driver coming back for an away game witha coach full of BHA fans (Burnley 2002????) and turning left at the lights, I have had no reason to go back.

And I don't have to believe its not there if I don't want to

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
No f*** em all! Until the developers or retailers put some proper memorial up to commemorate the existence of the Goldstone they will not get any blood money from me.

rbd35025

MoreTeaVicar
May 26, 2009
Remember the great memories, go to the Goldstone and picture them. I often come out of Toys R Us and salute the North Stand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here