Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To put things in Perspective this will be the Worst 2nd Div Albion Team Ever unless..

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
..we achieve back to back wins against Millwall and Southampton.

This is based against our previous all time worse 2nd Division Season, 1972-73 (Can anybody who endured it ever forget it?). It was truly dire.

We achieved 29 points from 42 games, which would eqaute to 37 points using today's currency of 3 points for a win.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bromley shrimp said:
..we achieve back to back wins against Millwall and Southampton.

This is based against our previous all time worse 2nd Division Season, 1972-73 (Can anybody who endured it ever forget it?). It was truly dire.

We achieved 29 points from 42 games, which would eqaute to 37 points using today's currency of 3 points for a win.

Wasn't following Brighton then but I'd hazard a guess that we weren't the worst supported team in the division in those days. We had a ground and probably an equivalent transfer budget in comparison to most teams?

But f*** it, this is the the worst ever 2nd tier Brighton team and it's all down to McGhee...obviously:jester:

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The 2nd tier is of a higher quality than days gone by though. The Premiership is flooded with foreigners now, so theres loads of good tried and trusted ENGLISH talent now being forced down a league.

This current Albion side would've WALKED this division 20 years ago

:)

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Re: Re: To put things in Perspective this will be the Worst 2nd Div Albion Team Ever unless..

Icy Gull said:
Wasn't following Brighton then but I'd hazard a guess that we weren't the worst supported team in the division in those days. We had a ground and probably an equivalent transfer budget in comparison to most teams?

But f*** it, this is the the worst ever 2nd tier Brighton team and it's all down to McGhee...obviously:jester:

1) The home gate was ALWAYS more than Withdean holds - and how many times has that sold out?

2) Support and success are often not a function of each other - Newcastle for example.

3) That was a bad winter with Luton (yesterday) like conditions
often prevailing - difference was we didn't sit down and could hence deal with it more readily. The cameradarie and terrace humour, which were aided by being stood relatively quite close to each other, were added ingredients to the afternoon's "fun" that are now somewhat lacking.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Easy 10 said:
The 2nd tier is of a higher quality than days gone by though. The Premiership is flooded with foreigners now, so theres loads of good tried and trusted ENGLISH talent now being forced down a league.

This current Albion side would've WALKED this division 20 years ago

:)

Albion had recognised strikers, (32 Home and 14 away goals, in a struggling side don't forget). The defence let them down.

But this season we could and should have ensured more goals than the paltry 20 at Home and 14 Away so far achieved, as the situation was in evidence very early on. It is this single factor, which more than any other sets this season apart from EVEN our previous worst.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Re: To put things in Perspective this will be the Worst 2nd Div Albion Team Ever unless..

Bromley shrimp said:
1) The home gate was ALWAYS more than Withdean holds - and how many times has that sold out?

Proof that too many of current Albion fans are glory hunters, if you can't motivate yourself to go and watch your team playing at this level then why come on here and moan about it? Not a go at you Bromley but quite a few of the biggest moaners on this site don't support the team where it matters....shitty Withdean, their choice but it seems they are the the first to whinge when things aren't going well.

Most of them seem to have made it to Withdean during our Championship seasons though, when the games were nearly always sold out, how bizarre :)

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Re: Re: Re: Re: To put things in Perspective this will be the Worst 2nd Div Albion Te

Icy Gull said:
Proof that too many of current Albion fans are glory hunters, if you can't motivate yourself to go and watch your team playing at this level then why come on here and moan about it? Not a go at you Bromley but quite a few of the biggest moaners on this site don't support the team where it matters....shitty Withdean, their choice but it seems they are the the first to whinge when things aren't going well.

Most of them seem to have made it to Withdean during our Championship seasons though, when the games were nearly always sold out, how bizarre :)

Its gash football mate - people aint going to spend 25 quid to watch it.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: To put things in Perspective this will be the Worst 2nd Div Albion Te

Kinky Gerbils said:
Its gash football mate - people aint going to spend 25 quid to watch it.

We, maybe not you, will be yearning for the quality in this division next season. But if we are winning with the shit football we played in League 1 next season people will be clamouring for a ticket. It's not the quality it's the bragging rights of following a succesful team rather than the pisstaking of following losers that counts the most in this part of the world to many.

Just my take mind

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: To put things in Perspective this will be the Worst 2nd Div A

Icy Gull said:
We, maybe not you, will be yearning for the quality in this division next season.

why not me?

Its not great football from Brighton.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: To put things in Perspective this will be the Worst 2nd Div Albion Te

Icy Gull said:
We, maybe not you, will be yearning for the quality in this division next season. But if we are winning with the shit football we played in League 1 next season people will be clamouring for a ticket. It's not the quality it's the bragging rights of following a succesful team rather than the pisstaking of following losers that counts the most in this part of the world to many.

Just my take mind

Sort of had this discussion in pub before Saturday's game - yes I was there 100 mile round trip as usual. We were debating the fickleness of the Albion fans and if we had more than our fair share or not. No conclusions reached.

However, I personally wouldn't be put off by ground conditions, but more likely by the calibre of team we'll be playing in the Third next season. The more prestigious Second is preferable any time and if that means being relegation fodder I still prefer it as long as we're giving it our all. My whinge is that this season it was all so avoidable.
Just to underline, what compares to Palace or Leeds away in the lower division?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Please stop 2nd Tier references we are not all LI!!!!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: To put things in Perspective this will be the Worst 2nd D

Bromley shrimp said:
Sort of had this discussion in pub before Saturday's game - yes I was there 100 mile round trip as usual. We were debating the fickleness of the Albion fans and if we had more than our fair share or not. No conclusions reached.

However, I personally wouldn't be put off by ground conditions, but more likely by the calibre of team we'll be playing in the Third next season. The more prestigious Second is preferable any time and if that means being relegation fodder I still prefer it as long as we're giving it our all. My whinge is that this season it was all so avoidable.
Just to underline, what compares to Palace or Leeds away in the lower division?

If you were a floatinf fan and the champions league was on and yoiu had the choice of a wet withdean and brighton vs Yeovil or a dry house/pub and Chelsea vs barca would would you prefer?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Re: Re: To put things in Perspective this will be the Worst 2nd Div Albion Team Ever

Icy Gull said:
I'd hazard a guess that we weren't the worst supported team in the division in those days.

No, we weren't.

Our average that season was 14,167.

Only QPR (14,715) who finished 2nd, Sheffield Wednesday (17,600, 10th), Sunderland (22,603, 6th) and Aston Villa (27,689 3rd) had higher.

Burnley, who won the league, were close with 14,083

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: To put things in Perspective this will be the Worst 2nd D

Kinky Gerbils said:
If you were a floatinf fan and the champions league was on and yoiu had the choice of a wet withdean and brighton vs Yeovil or a dry house/pub and Chelsea vs barca would would you prefer?

Several things:

1) I'm not a floatin fan - at the moment.
2) Tickets for Withdean are bought in advance, so you have to put up with the wet weather if that's how it turns out.
3) The occurences of this sort of clash of interests actually happening are extremely limited.
4) The choice presented says more about a person's desire for creature comforts than what team, if any, they truly support.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: To put things in Perspective this will be the Wor

Bromley shrimp said:
Several things:

1) I'm not a floatin fan - at the moment.
2) Tickets for Withdean are bought in advance, so you have to put up with the wet weather if that's how it turns out.
3) The occurences of this sort of clash of interests actually happening are extremely limited.
4) The choice presented says more about a person's desire for creature comforts than what team, if any, they truly support.

I didnt say you were - and you can buy tickets on the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here