Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To Herald the New Cricket Season - Random Sussex Players names Thread

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Arguably the best of them all...

Charles Burgess Fry

Reading a book last night in which it said our very own CB Fry was offered the crown of Albania. In true GOSBTS he considered becoming "King CB of Albania" and said .... naah

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Much missed.

I had the privilege - and it was a privilege to be asked - of designing the programme for the Umer Rashid Memorial match in 2002. I got to meet his family - father, mother, sister and youngest brother - who carried themselves that day with enormous dignity. I'm not going to be so gauche as to mention Aminita, his sister, was an absolute honey.

It was the first ever Twenty20 match played at Hove, and the Prime Minister of Grenada opened the bowling, and many top names turned up for that match, especially people from Middlesex. Umer's 14 year-old brother also played, batted well for his 15, and got a standing ovation. The game finished with Mike Gatting hooking three increasingly huge sixes over what would come to be (when re-built) the Umer Rashid Memorial scoreboard.

It was very bizarre doing a memorial programme for someone so fit and athletic who had drowned aged 26 trying to save his brother from a still pool in the Caribbean. If only, if only, if only...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here