Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

to Buzzer and others who hang to the right

and to also the greens, liberals etc out there?

Based on your knowledge and experiences.

have you a state, country or perhaps even a large region which you believe is the nearest thing to utopia for your beliefs and the running of the area and services.

Yoooooooou know I always have a good word for the nordic nations and particularly Sweeden, I am geniunely interested in the alternative?

Yours

LC

I am a big fan of Denmark but would hardly call it a Utopia but its close

So am I, a good compromise and with 90% of their electorate voting in national elections, obviously a social, political, community engagement model, we should be following.

A great test for me is the sense of safety abroad, me and Ms LC were slightly nervous of taking a short cut through an inner city park late at night in Copenhagen, as we pondered, a blond stunner, just walked past us into the park, no fear of trouble.

In Stockholm we saw women relaxing, reading in parks after dark.In Britain blokes wouldn't risk it (unless they pulling other men) chilling out even in rural villages.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Sark seems to have taken a great leap forward ... enough to piss off the owners of the Daily Telegraph,

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Guernsey | Barclays shut down Sark interests

Exactly the opposite. The Barclay brothers want reforms, but the islanders don't, "Preliminary results released earlier by the Returning Officer on Sark showed that only five of the 28 candidates who received the most votes were pro-reform."

So Sark is still a beacon of Feudal enlightenment. Looks good to me.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
LC , you may be surprised,but for me it would be canada, it seems to work pretty well , everybody gets along and there seems to be quite a lot of social justice, i.e good healthcare etc.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Barclay brothers' idea of "reform" may be somewhat different from what people on Planet Earth understand the word to mean.

Like an ELECTED head of Government and Chief of Justice - how radical. I would have thought all left leaning people would support a move to full demorcracy just like the Barclay brothers are suggesting.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
have you a state, country or perhaps even a large region which you believe is the nearest thing to utopia for your beliefs and the running of the area and services.

Y
Yours

LC

The Righties? Nazi Germany?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Greece is pretty damn good! Wonderful Mediterranean climate, amazing beaches, never rains in the summer, lots of cheap, fresh food, minimal crime rates, incredibly friendly people, wide open roads, good and affordable healthcare system...

...er, everyone smokes, Byzantine bureaucracy, strict job demarcation, old-fashioned retailing, shocking customer service, strikes, the occasional riot...

Blink and you could imagine it was Britain in the 1970s...

Extremadura will do me nicely thank you. No crime, very family orientated, decent weather, great quality of life, nobody in a rush, roads pretty empty and motorways toll-free, historic towns, pretty villages, beautiful countryside, lots of birds and wildlife, cheap property prices.

What's not to like?

But you do have to put up with Spanish bureaucracy though!

Like an ELECTED head of Government and Chief of Justice - how radical. I would have thought all left leaning people would support a move to full demorcracy just like the Barclay brothers are suggesting.

"Full" democracy? That must be a version of the democratic system that requires everyone to vote for the nominees of the richest people in the land or lose their homes and jobs.

I'd be interested to hear why you think this might appeal to "all left leaning people".

Or maybe I'm misreading the situation in Sark? Perhaps this new "full democracy" is a system that allows people to vote for who they want and the consequence is that the richest people in the land get the message and feck off.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Or maybe I'm misreading the situation in Sark? Perhaps this new "full democracy" is a system that allows people to vote for who they want and the consequence is that the richest people in the land get the message and feck off.

Strange Labour abolished heriditory peers but when two business men support the abolition of a similar system in Sark they're in the wrong :shrug:

While I don't support their action of pulling out, it is their right. Of course, if Sark had bothered to go fully democratic then maybe they'd have stayed. If I didn't agree with a system of government I could fight it or move somewhere else - much like the options the Barclay brothers have.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
So am I, a good compromise and with 90% of their electorate voting in national elections, obviously a social, political, community engagement model, we should be following.

A great test for me is the sense of safety abroad, me and Ms LC were slightly nervous of taking a short cut through an inner city park late at night in Copenhagen, as we pondered, a blond stunner, just walked past us into the park, no fear of trouble.

In Stockholm we saw women relaxing, reading in parks after dark.In Britain blokes wouldn't risk it (unless they pulling other men) chilling out even in rural villages.

Denmark appears to have a stong sense of National Identity without being xenophobic. I have mainly visited Jutland. It reminds me of old England in a way.

It always amuses me how they leave loads of goods outside their shops. A shopliffters paradise in England. I am visiting Copenhagen for the first time in June to see Depeche Mode

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here