Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] To Avoid Potter Bashing - Staying Up Tracker - 2020/21 - Game 38 Update - 1 OVER

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
You're joking, right? All of those remaining teams – barring City – are beatable.

Leeds: beat them earlier in the season
Wolves: not looking great and got humped at the weekend;
West Ham: we're their bogey team;
Arsenal: they could be mid-table by then and playing for four-fifths of naff all.

Might not happen, but wins ARE possible from that lot. One bad game doesn't make it all doom and gloom.
This all day long.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Well how lovely was that. Finally getting a second goal and feeling comfortable for 10 minutes. Hoorah. Sadly, it was "expected" :), so still all level.

Attachments

• NSC Fixtures 34a.png
    NSC Fixtures 34a.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 393
  • NSC Graph 34a.png
    NSC Graph 34a.png
    119.4 KB · Views: 381
  • NSC Others 34a.png
    NSC Others 34a.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 381

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Well how lovely was that. Finally getting a second goal and feeling comfortable for 10 minutes. Hoorah. Sadly, it was "expected" :), so still all level.

Where do we 'expect' Palace's points to come from?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know. I just mean safe safe. Like officially. And yes, maybe even better than that (a win on Saturday puts us 1 point behind them.)

I got the wrong Saturday.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Banana skin avoided

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Despite the loss, it's zero points dropped.

#TrustTheTracker

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
we'll soon be three behind, then get a point against either Arse or City. end on 38

You just never know. With the title wrapped up, Champions League final to prepare for, the Amex maybe the last thing on City's mind. Arsenal on a final day anything can happen. West Ham have Rice missing and it's been a hammer [sic] blow for their run-in.

We could end on 37 or 46 in all honesty and everywhere in between (well, everywhere that multiples of 0, 1 and 3 get you...)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Dull update. But interesting to note we have been within 1 point of the tracker now for a long time. Looks nailed on for a 40-41 point finish, but is that 15th or 17th. Somehow feels like a reasonable season if we finish 15th, whereas 17th seems not so great, but the difference is likely 1 point!

Attachments

• NSC Fixtures 35a.png
    NSC Fixtures 35a.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 221
  • NSC Graph 35a.png
    NSC Graph 35a.png
    119.3 KB · Views: 215
  • NSC Others 35a.png
    NSC Others 35a.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 212

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
Interesting that statistically there has only been one occasion this season where we have gone three games without picking up a point and only two where we've only picked up one point. I know this is isn't a barometer for much but we do tend to pick up points where we shouldn't and drop points when we should

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Dull update. But interesting to note we have been within 1 point of the tracker now for a long time. Looks nailed on for a 40-41 point finish, but is that 15th or 17th. Somehow feels like a reasonable season if we finish 15th, whereas 17th seems not so great, but the difference is likely 1 point!

So, question [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] - are you pleased that you were on the money with the tracker, or disappointed that the season was, in reality, another season treading water and surviving.

And next question, will your tracker next season start out with a 40 point target or, given the understandable hubris, will you now lift the benchmark to at least reflect the number of points that Croydon FC finish with this season?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Apologise for the slight tangent, but this thread seemed the most relevant to this.

This website has the Xp EPL tables for the last seven seasons: https://understat.com/league/EPL/2020

I guess that may be as far back as the Xp measurement goes. Nobody in these records has ever under-performed their Xp over the season by much more than 14 points. Palace hold the current record, having under-performed by 14.03 points over the 2017/18 season. We are currently under-performing by 21.64 points! I know most are annoyed by the mention of 'expected' anything and I don't offer up this information to try to suggest anything, but only to indicate just quite how far outside the mean our season has been. We haven't just failed to get the 20+ extra points that these measurements would predict, we have smashed the record for missing the mean by seven more points than any other team ever has.

This doesn't really say a lot about what might happen next, but it just makes me think that if we were going to have one season where we couldn't be in the ground, we couldn't really have chosen a better one. Can you imagine the atmosphere of shared desperation had we all had to make our way home from all of those disappointments, one after another, after another?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So, question [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] - are you pleased that you were on the money with the tracker, or disappointed that the season was, in reality, another season treading water and surviving.

And next question, will your tracker next season start out with a 40 point target or, given the understandable hubris, will you now lift the benchmark to at least reflect the number of points that Croydon FC finish with this season?

I'm pleased that the "woe is me" mindset of the early part of the season proved to be nonsense as I always felt the first half was going to be tough and then we would come through, but disappointed that we haven't kicked on and got the late 40s, early 50s points level that our overall play deserved I feel.

My gut feel is not change anything, because to do so might scupper us. Someone (apologies I forget who) suggested a new line for top 10, being the stated aim of the club. We already have a Europe tracker and therefore I think I'll stick at that, but lets see how I feel when the new fixtures come out.

Effectively by showing the league table as I have done this season we can track our progress (or lack of it) at overhauling Palace. They surely will struggle next season, won't they?!! :(

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I'm pleased that the "woe is me" mindset of the early part of the season proved to be nonsense as I always felt the first half was going to be tough and then we would come through, but disappointed that we haven't kicked on and got the late 40s, early 50s points level that our overall play deserved I feel.

My gut feel is not change anything, because to do so might scupper us. Someone (apologies I forget who) suggested a new line for top 10, being the stated aim of the club. We already have a Europe tracker and therefore I think I'll stick at that, but lets see how I feel when the new fixtures come out.

Effectively by showing the league table as I have done this season we can track our progress (or lack of it) at overhauling Palace. They surely will struggle next season, won't they?!! :(

For the love of God don't change the tracker. It's great, of course it's only a guide but for us panickers it's a bloody Godsend and (assuming we do stay up) it's been lucky so far. Thanks for the updates.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I didn't think [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] did the tracker to be 'on the money', but more in the event the season doesn't go well, here is a spread of likely point gains to avoid relegation. I would have thought it's obvious that if we're in line with the tracker, the season has been a disappointment in terms of points gained, as any kind of success wouldn't need the tracker - which I thought was the point of it? :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here