Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] To all the Southgate haters / wrong again and again and again **SOUTHGATE NOW RESIGNED**

7dialssouthpaw

Sep 10, 2022
It's us as fans that have to change our mindset - knock-out football is not the same as league games. Sounds simplistic, but the game is geared towards penalties and extra time by default, so a "test match" approach is what's needed.
That means if you keep it tight, you will stay in the game. If you really work on the penalty game, your chances of winning are even higher (see recent runs for Argentina and Croatia).

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
So stop thinking it does. You’re deluded if so. You need to dig deep and win ugly most of the time. And we’ve not only done this, we’re really good at it. Winners. Which is why we’re in the final when so called better teams like Germany and France….aren’t.
There's a theme here though - they have both come up against Spain!

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
oh i see, Southgate is really lucky, all other England bosses unlucky?

We won 1 game and scored 2 goals v USA, Algeria and Slovenia cos we were really unlucky?
At least I am consistent in my criticism, I thought Capello and Sven were underachieving managers too and most games I didn’t much enjoy either.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I don't think anyone can deny that his tactical ineptitude won the last Euros for Italy. I've been unable to forgive him for that. Chess isn't a spectator sport, and I'd never pay to watch a match. The negativity, and stifling of our most creative players has alienated a large percentage of England supporters. Our passage so far has been comparable to the parting of the Red Sea. We've just beaten a good side, but have not yet come up against a great one.
The technique displayed in abundance by the Spanish players has made them the outstanding side in the competition. However, the best team doesn't necessarily always win. Let's hope that the best team wins, and that the best team is England. I just want to be entertained, marvel at the creativity and artistry on display, and still be awake when the match finishes.
If you..."just want to be entertained "....don't go to or watch at home football matches. Football was put on this planet to capture your heart and soul. It rips your emotions apart. Sometimes it's hard going and tedious. Sometimes it's pure relief. Sometimes it's joyful. Never ever is it entertaining.
Give me an ugly 1-0 win over an entertaining 3-4 defeat any time. Football sucks you in and spits you out. Tournament football is about plotting your path and managing expectation. Every team at international level knows how to set up and defend and make it difficult. I have only ever seen one international team play exciting football and blow everybody away and that was Brazil in 1970. When you have a front four of Tostao..Jaizinho..Rivellino and Pele...then step aside mortal men and make way for the gods. The rest of football history drops a level and compromises.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The most negativity I’ve seen on NSC this past 24 hours is from you lot, and with posts like these.

I’ve not seen anyone be “disappointed” at the prospect of winning, “hated” these moments “as much as they could”, or be entirely negative about GS.

You’d find most people have at some level or another been on his back, and have also given him credit where and when due.

I think it’s more likely that you lot are a bunch of drama queens.
:O:cheery:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Apart from completely turning around the whole vibe around the national team from the lows of Iceland, continually making semi finals and finals for a team who previously crashed out of tournaments despite arguably one of the best midfields in world football, somehow making us solid despite everyone acknowledging we have no world class centre backs, continually making substitutions that win games, turning us into a team who no longer fear penalties and combining this with having a young team that will leave us in a good position going forwards, what has he actually ever done for us?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Well let's hope Southgate is genius enough to win the final then. Lol.

My view ? I don't "hate" Southgate but I think England have done well despite him. Anyhow, regardless of that he'll deserve some praise if we win.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The most negativity I’ve seen on NSC this past 24 hours is from you lot, and with posts like these.

I’ve not seen anyone be “disappointed” at the prospect of winning, “hated” these moments “as much as they could”, or be entirely negative about GS.

You’d find most people have at some level or another been on his back, and have also given him credit where and when due.

I think it’s more likely that you lot are a bunch of drama queens.
10/10

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
I'm amazed at the turnaround over the course of this tournament, from the dross of games 1 to 3 to last night has been incredible!

Still can't work out GS true level though. He is probably managing THE stand out squad in world football and whilst yesterday was an improvement tactically, he has somewhat leant on moments of individual magic from his plethora of genuinely world class players to pull us out of holes.

Sunday will be the first time we've met one of the other top 6 sides in the tournament so we will soon find out I guess!

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
disagree, almost every team we played put every man behind the ball and played non football, the Netherlands came to win and was an open game
The previous games, they all looked lethargic and devoid of ideas. Yesterday, Southgate seemed to have them really up for it, and they looked decent.

Koeman noticed the Netherlands' problems and made changes that stifled England. Southgate will have to be similarly tactically astute to beat the Spanish. You can't berate another final, however we got there.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm amazed at the turnaround over the course of this tournament, from the dross of games 1 to 3 to last night has been incredible!

Still can't work out GS true level though. He is probably managing THE stand out squad in world football and whilst yesterday was an improvement tactically, he has somewhat leant on moments of individual magic from his plethora of genuinely world class players to pull us out of holes.

Sunday will be the first time we've met one of the other top 6 sides in the tournament so we will soon find out I guess!
The Netherlands were a more open and ambitious opponent than our previous opponents, this was always going to be game where we could be more expressive.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For people who still want to argue Southgate is shit (oh no he isn't, (oh yes he is, he's behind you)) or actually the best ever (although you wouldn't necessarily say that even though you may agree with it) and, to pursue your point, are keen to compare the first quarter of the performance against an under par (or was it over par) Swiss, versus the way Glen Hoddle lined up against Belgium at the start of the second half, after we had conceded a goal, admittedly late in the first half when it was still OK to tackle from behind, and we still had the Drinking Culture, here is a device that may help you:

1720685380097.png

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Stand out squad or some stand out individuals?

The more the tournament progresses the more I understand Southgate’s squad omissions (Rashford and Grealish), his team selection (solid defence centred around Stones), his loyalty to Kane and Pickford (psychologically strong and a rock in the squad), his preference for maximum of two mavericks, a few work horses and a strong work ethic. The stand out quality is belief.

We don’t have the strongest squad unless Shaw is fully fit. His re integration into the team and the timing seems almost perfect.

Going back to squad omissions I wonder if selection was more about behaviours than ability. Gets my vote.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The first 14 England Managers achieved 1 final and 2 semifinals between them. Gareth alone has achieved 2 finals and 1 semifinal.

So obviously he is one of the least popular of the 15.......
2 finals and one semi??? How does that work?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Criticised for sticking with Pickford - proved em wrong
Criticised for picking shaw - proved em wrong
criticised for his subs, brings on Palmer and watkins who assist and score the winner. previously Brought TAA and Toney on to take pens who both converted (v SwizzZZ)
He stuck with Kane and Bellingham despite all the 'experts' saying they should be subbed who both went on to score (v Slovakia)
won 3 knockout matches from losing positions
2 Euro Finals
1 WC Semi
Time to hold up your hands and admit you were wrong about Southgate

Er... no

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Should England go on and win this thing, I hope everybody is mentally prepared for the inevitability of Sir Gareth.

(I'm not massively into the honours system but as a personal legacy, a Knighthood is infinitely preferable to The Sun superimposing your face on a turnip, I suppose).

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Good bloke and man manager, very limited football coach.

BUT, a lot of people say it’s better to be lucky than good and he does certainly have luck on his side.

It goes against all tactical sensibilities but his record as England manager is great and on a human level, I’m really pleased for him to have this relative success as he is a decent bloke and after the Euro 96 missed penalty, he got a lot of ridiculously unfair shit.

Still think we could be a lot better and have won something already with a more tactically astute manager but there aren’t many of them who want to work in international football.

Good luck to him in the final.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
wrong, simple example / brought on Palmer who assisted, brought on Watkins who scored the winner. They changed the game / Masterstroke

Fine margins. compare and contrast

Sven Gormless Idiot gambles on an unfit Owen who gets injured after 5 mins, brings on Jamie Carragher (?) to take a penalty, who missed (natch), picked Theo Walcott who never played a minute of football for his club, and never played him. Picked an unfit Rooney who wasn't match fit and gets himself sent off. That is garbage managment

The only thing garbage is your football knowledge
I agree with you, I'd been saying since 2002 that Sven was a fraud. However that doesn't make Southgate a great, he isn't, he is slow to react to changes the oppo make in game, last night another example, he's taken 5 games to work out how to best use Foden, it took a suspension to Geuhi to move Trippier from LB otherwise he wouldn't have done it, a wonder goal kept us in this tournament. To be fair he has taken Kane off in the last 2 games, Kane has stunk the place out, but he's captain so that wasn't easy for GS to do.

He is a 'lucky' manager, but so was Ramsey with Greaves's injury in 66, if it means England winning a trophy then I'd take it!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here