Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] To all the Southgate haters / wrong again and again and again **SOUTHGATE NOW RESIGNED**

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The 18 pages of this thread in one sentence.
"For the record, let me assure you that I'm quite genuine about praising Southgate's achievements. England have had much success under his managerial level. But for me, that's not enough."

It wasn't enough to win a trophy.

His style of play never would be.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Criticised for sticking with Pickford - proved em wrong
Criticised for picking shaw - proved em wrong
criticised for his subs, brings on Palmer and watkins who assist and score the winner. previously Brought TAA and Toney on to take pens who both converted (v SwizzZZ)
He stuck with Kane and Bellingham despite all the 'experts' saying they should be subbed who both went on to score (v Slovakia)
won 3 knockout matches from losing positions
2 Euro Finals
1 WC Semi
Time to hold up your hands and admit you were wrong about Southgate
But every time, when it really counts, despite having a world class pot of players to work with,.... he fails, fails and fails again.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Great achievement to get to the final. Good memories

Beaten by the better side

Proud of England
Good memories of England's style of play in all their games? You're very easily pleased.

You're in denial to the last.

But fair play, there's a lot to be said for consistency in life.

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
It’s not a vintage Spain team whatever the fawning pundits say, just a good one. We chose to set up in such a way that it flattered Spain.
That is on the gaffer.
We played to compete, not to win.
That is also on Southgate
Have to say, that's my view also. There's enormous raw talent in this England squad that a more tactically astute, proactive and adventurous coach could exploit and unleash.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Correct. We scored, had all the momentum and then just sat back determined to let them have the ball and wait for extra time.
Spot on, and commentators saying we couldn’t cope with the press. That is 100% down to how the manager set us up, these guys play against pressing football every f***ing week and cope with it just fine. We were set up for the low block like some inferior team and when we did get some momentum and score after the subs we went back to playing a low block. :angry:

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
That is 100% down to how the manager set us up, these guys play against pressing football every f***ing week and cope with it just fine. We were set up for the low block like some inferior team and when we did get some momentum and score after the subs we went back to playing a low block. :angry:
This is why we lost today.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Almost done it relying on individual brilliance. But failed again at the last.

Raised expectations but he can’t meet them.

Honestly can’t believe we aren’t currently playing extra time and pens. Gutting.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He's got to go now, he's had 3 easy draws and managed to fail in the same way
'We were disadvantaged with a day less to prepare'!! Sums up SG to a tee. Clueless and looking for excuses.

Southgate hater and proud. He (and the FA) have let the country and the fans down.

These players deserve better.
He was already making this excuse after the semi

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would say that Southgate has come up against another good team and lost, but I don't even think Spain is a good team on paper.
They are a very good, and very consistent team. They were easily the best in this tournament.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here