Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TLO takes a left turn in life...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yeah, I know, another bloody thread about me, me, me.

But I have decided to resign my job, and take a sabbatical. After 20 years in publishing, nearly seven of which have been as a graphic designer in my current job, I have sold my flat got myself a few quid, and am looking to do something else in life.

The point is, I don't exactly know what to do, and it feels bloody good.

I don't really have a hankering to do one of those round the world efforts, but it may mean I get to do something like go to the cricket World Cup in the West Indies next year, or just spending some more time relaxing and visiting people and places, rather than sticking my nose to the grindstone and churning magazines.

Ultimately, I would like to (need to) go into business of some sort, and would preferably like to open a bar either here or in France or in Spain, and am talking to a couple of people in the trade about the possibility of doing so. Of course, it may all come to nothing, and I end up back doing what I am doing now. Yikes!

Anyway, I finish next Thursday. I am a bit nervous about it, not having done it before, but well, here goes. Shit or bust.

Wish me luck... :)

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Hello Alan,

I am 85% sure that you will be a success in whatever you choose to do. If you do open a bar in France I would like to come and sup on red wine and eat meat platters and lots of cheese with the lovely poo shaped bread they eat over there. Maybe you should visit Vietnam, I've heard it's pretty cool.

Love Max.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Hello Alan,

I am 85% sure that you will be a success in whatever you choose to do. If you do open a bar in France I would like to come and sup on red wine and eat meat platters and lots of cheese with the lovely poo shaped bread they eat over there. Maybe you should visit Vietnam, I've heard it's pretty cool.

Love Max.
85%? Cheers, Max. That's more faith than I get from the missus.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You lucky barsteward.

95% of people in this country want to do what you are doing, very few have the balls to do it.

Go for it :clap:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Sounds like a midlife crisis to me.

Seriously though. Best of luck TLO, I'm sure it'll all fall into place. Enjoy the cricket.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I had a mid life crisis 3 years ago, unfortunately I am still going through it, 3 job changes, marriage falls apart, new relationship and MG convertible. If even brought a pair of jeans the other day that had flares :eek:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
How about full time "spin doctor" for Mark Magoo and Dick Knight :lolol:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Good Luck. You come over as the sort of person to do well what ever you do. It is a big step - but better than the what-if's.

Best of British to you ........................................

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
You lucky lucky barsteward!!

Success is what you define yourself, but don't define it in monetary terms - just define it by the smile on your face - and you're 9/10's of the way there!!

I envy you and wish you good luck although you won't need it - if you do open that bar somewhere where the grass is greener - let us know and we'll be there for a pint or 2 or 4...

Well done TLO - you deserve it!! :clap: :clap: :cool:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Alan, I have to say the best thing I EVER did was go to work for myself, and whilst I am not as OLD as you, I am sure someone with your personality will make a good go of it.

Oh, and you get to earn loads of money thats so much more enjoyable because you are in control

Not sure about the sabatical bit, I find I work my arse off then take 3 or 4 weeks off.

Whatever you do, BEST of luck with it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here