Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Titally Off Topic, Anybody been to the Philipines ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
bhaexpress said:
About 23 hours, the flight is with Air Kuwait and there's a stopover there to refuel. Most of the Arabic Airlines fly to Manila as so many Filipinos in Arab states. The Emirates fare is pretty reasonable too and that does tempt me as Emirates are supposed to be pretty good.

Have you actually booked it yet? I believe Oasis Hong Kong is now offering budget flights from Gatwick to HK - from there you could probably pick up a connection on Cathay, Dragon or Phillipines Airlines dirt cheap. Will be 13 hours plus 2 and could be the same price or less. Worth at least investigating.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Guinness Boy said:
And I know someone who used to post on here that had to do Manilla to Heathrow with food poisoning :eek:

I did a lovely 10-hour flight to Mexico like that ... I was having to borrow other people's sick bags by the end ... :sick:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Guinness Boy said:
Have you actually booked it yet? I believe Oasis Hong Kong is now offering budget flights from Gatwick to HK - from there you could probably pick up a connection on Cathay, Dragon or Phillipines Airlines dirt cheap. Will be 13 hours plus 2 and could be the same price or less. Worth at least investigating.

I have just seen a pretty good deal with Etihad and I have flown with them before, that was a good service, very new planes too. Also, as it's the Abu Dhabi carrier they do serve alcohol on the flights unlike a lot of the other Arabic carriers. The stopover would be in Abu Dhabi which has a neat but small airport. Having had problems in the past getting across US airports I think that's my best bet.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
what a lot of bullshit replies, the flight Can be as long as 23 hours, thats the cheap airlines, fly cathay pacific via Hong kong it is 11.30 to HK and 45 min to Manila.

How do I know? I have been married to a Filipina for 23 years and I have been to the Philippines over 20 times( retring there in 2 years).

Our next trip is in dec so if you want any real info PM me and we can chat, I can tell you where is safe to go, what is safe to do and costs etc,

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
swindonseagull said:
what a lot of bullshit replies, the flight Can be as long as 23 hours, thats the cheap airlines, fly cathay pacific via Hong kong it is 11.30 to HK and 45 min to Manila.

How do I know? I have been married to a Filipina for 23 years and I have been to the Philippines over 20 times( retring there in 2 years).

Our next trip is in dec so if you want any real info PM me and we can chat, I can tell you where is safe to go, what is safe to do and costs etc,

Cheers again, I will be in touch. As it is she does know where to go thankfully. To be honest it's not a place that that springs to mind for a visit but as she owns two houses there it'll be cheap.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
swindonseagull said:
what a lot of bullshit replies

Directed at who exactly? I lived in East Asia for 3 years most lately in Taiwan. Half the team I worked with are Fillipino as are 2 of my friends wives. I only went to Borokai on a long weekend right at the start but I posted that and as you will well know you have to go through Manilla airport.

I also flew from HK to London every 6 months. The flight can be 11 and a half but it totally depends on which airport you go to since most SE Asian flights land first thing in the morning and there is no-fly time at Heathrow. The quickest I did from HK was 12 hours, the longest 13.

You undoubtedly know a lot more than me hence your offer of a PM. I don't think pointing out that it's typhoon season and that you can get cheaper quicker flights is anything but helpful but - yes - that is the extent of my knowledge. Less than yours, much more than most people's on this board.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Great place, go there regularly and have a house in Davao which although in Mindanao is fine and is a good 6hrs away from the trouble spots.

No typhoons in the middle or south but anyway the typhoon season is drawing to a close as we enter the "cool season" which for Davao means an average temp of 88 degrees and 85 for Manila and a little less in Baguio.

if you are going with a lady then Boracay, Cebu, Porto Gallerra or Davao would be good spots to enjoy white sands etc. If you are going with the boys then you have to stay in Makati in Manila or more down market in Angeles City.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Stumpy Tim said:
huh? Are Badger & I related now!

I'm a 45 minute flight from Manilla right now - living it up in Hong Kong. What a fantastic city :clap:

Where have you been at night ? Wanchai, Lan Kwai Fong or TST or all three ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here