Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tipping

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do you tip in restaurants, hotels, taxis, after a return trip on a football coach?

It seems the French and Spanish just leave loose change whereas Americans may kill or at least abuse you if you don't, regardless of the quality of service.

People I know vary enormously in their generosity regardless of means. Some tip 10% always, others never tip and some dependent on service and whether the bastard restaurantaur has already added a 10-15% charge.

I think NSC may feature mainly mean bastards :)

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I never tip 'cos they are working for a wage anyway so its not as if they wont get paid! mean old bastard me!

When I went to the US I was told to tip the Taco-Bell staff....like f*** did I, told them that "in my country, if you're a nice customer then YOU get tipped not the waiter/server".....so they gave me an extra large Coke instead of a Large...mugs :lolol:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I like to tip dependant on service. I hate restaurants that automatically add the service charge because theres no incentive for them to work for it. Why should I pay extra for shit service?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Tipping is all dependent upon which country you are in. If you are in america, wages for resaurants etc are so poor they need tips to survive. Also in the US the government automatically adds a percentage to everybody income before they are taxed so if you don't earn many tips you pay more tax than you should.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I NEVER tip if a service charge if placed on a bill. Also, you are not legally obliged to pay the service charge (actually, you are not legally obliged to pay the full amount of the bill). Tipping is a cultural thing. In Britain, 8%-12% is considered appropriate.

Cabbies tend to get a tip from me which is rounded up to the next pound. It takes them ages to get the change out of their pockets, so they are working on the presumption that the customer will just say, 'f*** it, John. Keep it.'

As for people DEMANDING a tip - they can f*** right off.

Last edited:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
The Large One said:
As for people DEMANDING a tip - they can f*** right off.

as can cabbies

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The Large One said:
Cabbies tend to get a tip from me which is rounded up to the next pound. It takes them ages to get the change out of their pockets, so they are working on the presumption that the customer will just say, 'f*** it, John. Keep it.'
Not aimed at anyone in particular is it? :angry:

When working in my cab, I don't expect a tip. But if I don't get one, you'd better be off the road pretty sharpish!

Brixtaan said:
as can cabbies
Got a gripe?

Last edited:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I round cabbies up to the the nearest pound except for one the other week who was the rudest man I've ever met. He didnt acknowledge us once, didnt open the boot for us despite having 8 carrier bags and didnt look at us when taking the money. I pointed out that this was the first time I'd never tipped a cab driver and gave him the middle finger as he wheel spinned off. wanker

restaurants 10% unless the service is really bad then I tell them why not tipping, and no extra if service already included which also pisses me off.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Everest said:
Not aimed at anyone in particular is it? :angry:

When working in my cab, I don't expect a tip. But if I don't get one, you'd better be off the road pretty sharpish!

Got a gripe?

What do cabbies expect tip wise, I've often wondered if I'm over or under tipping??

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
You're always under tipping Icy. :lolol:

10% is the norm I suppose. But it's all up to the customer.
Personally, just the fact that I get people to their destination safe & sound is enough for me.

Yeah, right!
:jester:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mr Pink from Resviour (sp) Dogs had it spot on.

We were in a slightly nicer place than a greasy spoon (not by much) & the 2 chavettes serving spent all there time discussing tips "only 20p tight bastards" etc, & boys, "nah I dumped him cos he was a w**ker", while chewing gum & doing as little as poss.

I paid exact money & wrote on the back of the bill "you want a tip, you'd better bloody well work for it, next time".

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
In Taxis I'll round it up to the nearest quid but that's as much a case of getting out the cab quickly as it is tipping the driver.

Restaurants I tend to tip 10% unless they try and foist a standard service charge which just pisses me off or the service is crap which also pisses me off.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
I tip well in bars and restaurants, purely for the fact that I spent 7 years as a barman and I know what it feels like on both sides of the divide...

Everest said:
Personally, just the fact that I get people to their destination safe & sound is enough for me.
Yeah, but by what route?

My gratuities to taxi drivers range from not expecting any change down to asking for their ID number so I can report them to the licensing authorities.

Worst experience was the London black cab driver who responded to my request for a one-mile journey from City Airport with the words "Why don't you get a fuckin' bus?"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can someone paste that marvellous transcript from the opening scene in Reservoir Dogs ? Its probably on Script-o-Rama or something, but I can't access it from work. Mr Pink (Steve Buscemi) goes on a fantastically eloquent rant about why he doesn't tip.

Tarantino is a GENIUS at writing.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Easy 10 said:
Can someone paste that marvellous transcript from the opening scene in Reservoir Dogs ? Its probably on Script-o-Rama or something, but I can't access it from work. Mr Pink (Steve Buscemi) goes on a fantastically eloquent rant about why he doesn't tip.

Tarantino is a GENIUS at writing.

Something like this?

Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
Mr. Pink: I don't believe in it.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make shit.
Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money, she can quit.
Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a f***ing Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you never ever tip, huh?
Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. Alright, I tip when somebody really deserves a tip. If they put forth an effort, I'll give them something extra. But I mean, this tipping automatically, that's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned they're just doing their job.
Mr. Blue: Hey, this girl was nice.
Mr. Pink: She was okay. But she wasn't anything special.
Mr. Blue: What special? Take you in the back and suck your dick?
Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here