Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Tipping

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In the UK, my starting point is 10% for "done the job" kind of service. Given what you describe, I'd be tipping somewhere north of that, similarly to you.

Exceptional service would be c20%.

Loads of posts on here but this is spot on and exactly where I am when I eat out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It's weird how we choose when and when not to tip. For instance, it's seems sort of expected that you tip a taxi-driver, but you wouldn't tip a bus driver for doing the same thing. Tips in restaurants are also generally expected, but I wouldn't generally tip for pub grub. And we don't tip bar-staff very often - why not? And I bet restaurant waiters get better pay than McDonalds staff - who probably don't get tips. And as a previous poster said, why do people tip hairdressers but not dentists/vets/etc. I've never received a tip, yet provide a service to the public - and wouldn't expect one.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
If you're questioning why people don't tip in fast food outlets then I fear you're too entrenched in your views.
But basically, tipping is just a nice thing to do, nothing more complicated than that.

Of course it's a nice thing to do and I'm happy to leave a bit when you've had a good experience with a waiter. It's how tipping has become mandatory with a set amount that needs to stop.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
In the UK i will not tip unless i feel the service has been beyond the expected. Unlike the US, we simply do not have a tipping culture.

Is the right answer.
My money is better off in my pocket than someone else's.
Why do we tip someone for doing a job they are paid to do.
Rather put it in a charity tin.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Is the right answer.
My money is better off in my pocket than someone else's.
Why do we tip someone for doing a job they are paid to do.
Rather put it in a charity tin.

Depends on what you call going beyond what is 'just doing the job'. If someone dumps the plate on your table is that the service you expect but if they are pleasant and smile is that above what is necessary?

If you set the minimum standard as higher than that then you are just coming across as tight!!!

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Mrs Saladpack is a lot harsher on this than I am and will have to be pushed to pay 10% unless it's already on the bill (as it is and always has been at our favourite Chinese). My mate is TOO generous and will arm-twist me into 15% or more. In the region of 10% seems fair enough to me.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If it’s on the bill then no (although there was one occasion when I gave a waitress a fiver as she was particularly good). Else 10% if service is good. I have no scruples re giving nothing as happened recently in a well recommended restaurant in Rome when the staff weren’t very engaging, the plates were cold, the food was cold and we had to wait at least an hour between courses. I had a word with the guy in charge and he knocked 40% off the bill - he must have agreed with me!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There’s some right tight-arses on this thread.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A friend of mine always acts the big time Charlie but I once saw the benefit of this.

We walked into a very busy London restaurant, as we were seated the waiter came over and he slapped £40 in his hand and just said "I hope the service is good, and I'm trusting you that it will be". It was and the guy was very attentive.

When the bill arrived for our group of six it was around £700, plus a 12.5% service charge, about another £90, he said he pays 10%, which was about £70 and left the £30 balance on the tip ..... I have to say as crass as it first appeared I had a sneaking admiration of his tactical genius!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Went out to the Black Rabbit at Arundel for a Sunday lunch.

We all (myself and three sisters) plumped for the Sunday roast special which was lamb shank. Very nice too with some tasty vegetables and roast potatoes and Yorkshire pudding as well as cauliflower cheese. We added 10% to the bill as the service was good and the waitress was a cheery young lass.

Recommended.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A friend of mine always acts the big time Charlie but I once saw the benefit of this.

We walked into a very busy London restaurant, as we were seated the waiter came over and he slapped £40 in his hand and just said "I hope the service is good, and I'm trusting you that it will be". It was and the guy was very attentive.

When the bill arrived for our group of six it was around £700, plus a 12.5% service charge, about another £90, he said he pays 10%, which was about £70 and left the £30 balance on the tip ..... I have to say as crass as it first appeared I had a sneaking admiration of his tactical genius!

Tactical genius? Maybe the service was going to be good anyway? And if it wasn’t...he’s just paid 40 notes to a restaurant with usually crap service. Nothing clever about this IMHO. I’d say a tactical genius would take you to a restaurant where you know the service will be good.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Of course it's a nice thing to do and I'm happy to leave a bit when you've had a good experience with a waiter. It's how tipping has become mandatory with a set amount that needs to stop.

It's not mandatory though is it? If something isn't right, you absolutely shouldn't tip.

There’s some right tight-arses on this thread.

Agree completely, people that get wound up by tipping come across as miserable and stingy

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
I am not totally sure about tipping. We had a dodgy half-cooked meal in the Black Rabbit on Saturday evening and although the "service" was good, the actual food was downright terrible - either cold or blasted in the microwave! Should we have given them a tip as the waitress was cheery and good herself to return the food?

On a separate issue, our builder once commented and was surprised he didn't get a tip for the work he did on our house. The only tip I could do for him would be to have a good accountant as his last one ended up in prison.

swd40

Mar 22, 2006
I am not totally sure about tipping. We had a dodgy half-cooked meal in the Black Rabbit on Saturday evening and although the "service" was good, the actual food was downright terrible - either cold or blasted in the microwave! Should we have given them a tip as the waitress was cheery and good herself to return the food?

On a separate issue, our builder once commented and was surprised he didn't get a tip for the work he did on our house. The only tip I could do for him would be to have a good accountant as his last one ended up in prison.

Foods shocking at the Black Rabbit, just relies on its location for the punters, certainly not the quality of grub they dish out.

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
Seven of us went out for lunch a few months ago, it was lovely,three courses,drinks,coffee and liquers,our host insisted on paying as it was their birthday.
Doubt the bill came in at much less than £700, and our host left a £20 tip.
Having just spent around £700 on a meal I don't think anybody could call them tight for leaving a supposedly small tip.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Depends on what you call going beyond what is 'just doing the job'. If someone dumps the plate on your table is that the service you expect but if they are pleasant and smile is that above what is necessary?

If you set the minimum standard as higher than that then you are just coming across as tight!!!

You should have seen the pickle I got myself into in The States.
They stand there with their hand out FFS.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Don’t follow Uncle Spielberg when he goes LARGE...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here