Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tinnitus

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It probably won't go away you just learn to deal with it and almost forget its there.

Mine has just changed volume and pitch after 7 years, both higher, and it's pissing me off.
Its something that can come and go,but i would say that if you have a stressful life and a misrable one then it will get worse.Its clear that when you do things you really enjoy doing the tinnitus is forgotten and the tone gets lower.

Not the case for everyone though:)

Lush

Mods' Pet
Anyone reading this thread who is thinking of having a listen to the noises in their ears/head, to see if they have tinnitus, my advice is DON'T. That way madness lies. Once you tune in, it's hard to tune out.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
I have had tinnitus for 35 years. It was self-induced by listening to very loud jazz through headphones. I have a whooshing sound 24/7 . It does not effect my sleep at all. i have had it for so long now I am only aware of it in a room with alot background chatter. I need to strain to hear what is being said to me. That has caused many an arguement with my partner over not hearing what has been said to me.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
reading this has just exacerbated my tinnitus. f*** it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I've got about 10% hearing left in each ear, improved to about 50% with my hearing aids.

Once I take them out, for a shower/swim or at night, the tinnitus kicks in. Feckin' annoying. You have my sympathy.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I've had it for 3 years now and get a sharp tone in one ear,first i thought my ears needed washing out but no wax came out.Used to be really bad with migranes etc etc,but after doing my own research i found that BREATHING properly has really improved things.In my case its about having fun and breathing properly although not sure if it will ever go away.

Good luck and i hope it gets better:D

This is my experience of it as well. I've had very slight tinnitus which is exacerbated by stress. I'm a teeth clamper and a shallow beather which causes my jaw muscles to contract and cause headaches, migraines and tinnitus!! Took a bit of money and a few trips to the doctor to work through this stress thing but its amazing what it affects.

First thing I had to learn is when to spot the stress building, and to BREATHE OUT! Don't worry about breathing in, it just happens :lol: but concentrate on out. Obviously its not everyones cause of tinnitus but certainly was mine. I haven't had it for some months *touch wood*...

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Another sufferer here.The ringing in my ears can be quite distracting,and when I "listen" to it the ringing is at a different pitch in each ear.I've heard it's made worse by coffee,as well as the other things mentioned.It's a bit of a burger but one I've sort of settled in with.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I have had tinnitus for 35 years. It was self-induced by listening to very loud jazz through headphones. I have a whooshing sound 24/7 . It does not effect my sleep at all. i have had it for so long now I am only aware of it in a room with alot background chatter. I need to strain to hear what is being said to me. That has caused many an arguement with my partner over not hearing what has been said to me.

Oh dear. I wonder if that's the cause of mine. I used to stand in front of the ENORMOUS speakers at the Friday Night Club at the Art College in 1969/1970. Then I invented headphones by lying on the floor with a speaker by each ear playing music loudly. Then I discovered headphones - airline pilot style. Never went for the teeny headphones. Not the same at all.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
I have suffered from tinnitus for over 45 years now. Mine gets worse in cold weather. I have been told by my doctor that the only treatment I can be given is a contraption that looks like a hearing aid, but in fact blasts another loud whistle at a different pitch to the tinnitus into your ear which apparently equals the noise out! This was the treatment given to my late father in the 90s and he said it made a massive difference, my doctor wont give me this yet as he says mine isnt bad enough, didnt realise he could hear it!

gosportseagulls

Jul 21, 2009
gosport
My girlfriend has suffered from this for 10 years, after too many years of too many raves!! The final straw was when she fell asleep infront of a 6ft amp!! She has ringing, wooshing, buzzing, the whole shit. She has permanant damage to her ear drums and nearly lost the plot when they told her there is no cure. But, apparently there are techniques you can learn to teach your ears to ignore it, she has done this and for the most part she no longer suffers too badly, which means I don't have to put up with listening to the radio all night just to disguise the noise and put it into some kind of perspective. She always knows when she has a cold coming as it starts to do her head in again. She has to make a noise to put the ringing sound into perspective as it gets louder if you tune in to it apparently.

Anyone reading this thread who is thinking of having a listen to the noises in their ears/head, to see if they have tinnitus, my advice is DON'T. That way madness lies. Once you tune in, it's hard to tune out.

This is very good advice.

Everyone has it to some degree and if you do "listen for it" human nature will keep you listening.

As Lush say "That way madness lies" and believe me it's true.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Whilst we are on the subject of ears. Avoid using cotton buds (that pushes the wax further down) and avoid using drops from chemists.

The best solution, other than a proper syringe by a nurse, is to warm some olive oil and then put that in your ears at night and use cotton wool to stop it leaking out. A few nights and the wax will soften and drop out. Drops from a chemist are an absolute scam. I am surprised OfWhat? haven't got involved.

Whilst we are on the subject of ears. Avoid using cotton buds (that pushes the wax further down) and avoid using drops from chemists.

The best solution, other than a proper syringe by a nurse, is to warm some olive oil and then put that in your ears at night and use cotton wool to stop it leaking out. A few nights and the wax will soften and drop out. Drops from a chemist are an absolute scam. I am surprised OfWhat? haven't got involved.

My doctor advised me that you should never try to put anything in your ears that is smaller than your elbow.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Many things can bring it on mate, spicy food, curry and chinese are worst, alchohol especially red wine or port. Dehydration is the worst though, but that normally goes hand in hand with a hangover and excessive salt.

So most of the good things in life really.

I've had it semi-permanently for over 30 years since in my 20's. It wasn't caused by loud music either, I was not an addict of discos or gigs in those days.

I have my own theory about tinnitus and its causes, built solely on my own experiences about when I get it suddenly and where.

Basically I think all brains transmit waves, radiation or whatever therefore thoughts can be transmitted. In a small population we all have different wavelengths, so we kind of grow up using our own brain "waveband". But since man started to move about more easily in recent centuries, it's more likely that you meet someone on "your" waveband. Hence brain interference which in my case manifests itself as tinnitus, a high-pitsched sqealing noise.

The best match of it I have heard is the soundtrack in "The French Connection" when Popeye Doyle is on the trail of the drugring in New York, outside the restaurant. that's what I get in my head. Including right now as it happens.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
My wife has had tinnitus since our honeymoon in sept 08.doctors think it was caused by the flight to & from mauritus .which is disturbing because we spent £3500 upgrading to club class for our honeymoon

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
As I said, mine is stress related, bad day today at work, clamp my jaw, tighten the muscles, contract the blood flow to the ears, and bingo - they start ringing....

Home for a quick potter around the garden, lovely chat with my son and husband and and hour or so later, its significantly better....

Don't underestimate stress is my advice....even if you don't think you are, it worth checking it out with your GP....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here