Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tinnitus awareness week.....

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Hearing loss is the hidden disability.

Very true. It's not taken seriously by many; I'm having a heck of a battle st work to get a decent headset that I can use in the office as the background noise makes it very difficult for me to hear.
I tried a £70 gaming headset which has great sound and very comfy but it doesn't block out the background so it's next to useless. It's been suggested that a pilot headset might work but they cost into the hundreds.

Just a reminder from last time we had a tinnitus thread. If you think you might have tinnitus, do not try and listen to it/'tune in' especially at night. That way madness lies. It's a radio with a very sticky dial.

This, as a sufferer the first few months were the worst of my life as I listened for it.

The noise is there so you listen, the more you listen the more it upsets/stress's the sufferer, the more stressed/upset you become the louder the noise gets, the louder the noise gets the more you listen.

In all seriousness, the quicker you accept the fact that it's there and it isn't going the quicker you learn to deal with it.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
TitmusRETNA1504_468x730.jpg

Where do I sign?? :drool::love::drool:

tinytears

Feb 5, 2010
Tinnitus is nasty - if you haven't got it, be thankful and don't mock it. I've lived for twenty five years with the sound of a cistern flushing in my left ear, where all the working bits were cut out to get rid of the cancer which was growing there.

I've got it really bad in my left ear. The doc is sending me for a brain scan as they said it could be a symptom of a tumour when it is only in 1 ear. Gotta say I am a bit worried. The noise is hooendous. The left side of my face is also vey tingley& sometimes numb. Fingers crossed its nothing scarey

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I've got it really bad in my left ear. The doc is sending me for a brain scan as they said it could be a symptom of a tumour when it is only in 1 ear. Gotta say I am a bit worried. The noise is hooendous. The left side of my face is also vey tingley& sometimes numb. Fingers crossed its nothing scarey

I had tinnitus with the lurgy last year. The anti-tinnitus pills made me go all tingly and numb down one side, so I stopped taking them and the tingly bit went away. When I recovered from the virus it went away for good. I thought I was having a flipping stroke, but it was just the effects of the dreaded lurgy.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
I've had tinnitus for years, mostly high pitched type (birds twittering and constant tone) which is annoying.

However, worse than that is the low pitched type which is recent and keeps me awake at night, I was convinced it was radio/TV coming from flat upstairs but sadly not the case.

My tinnitus is caused by high frequency deafness; I have hearing aids which I wear only when need to, can't be bothered to wear them all the time, which audiologist says should lessen tinnitus.

It's said that most music coming through in-the-ear MP3 players, ipods, etc. is too loud which can cause tinnitus, so it looks like many more people will be affected in the future.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I'm deaf in my right ear and I get a low humming (imagine a washing machine rumbling from a floor below) when I get colds and whatnot.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fingers crossed for you too, mate

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Had tinnitus for a few years now due to suffering from psoriasis in my ears and the itching has basically screwed my ear drums up. I don't think of it to often unless I'm reminded... like this thread!

Jack Straw (mp not happy snapper) suffers badly from it so he has told me in the past.

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
Hearing loss is gradual and many dont even realise that they may have a problem until its too late. Add that to hearing loss as we get older and other problems like tinnitus and its a real problem to the individual who is unfortunate to suffer from these conditions. As a previous poster said many expose themselves to harmful noise outside of work such as personal stereos, nightclubs, clay pidgeon shooting and the like and in general store up problems for the future. At work employers have duties to assess exposure to noise, eliminate exposure where possible and where this cant be done reduce exposures to the lowest levels reasonably practicable. There are action and limit values quoted in the regulations. Unfortunately many employers are ignorant of the law meaning workers are unecessarily exposed :facepalm:

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1

Just been for one of those myself waiting for results[ringing in right ear].

A symptom of 'Aspirin' overdose and a big cause of tinnitus in the elderly, apparently.

Indeed it is, Asprin thins the blood and makes it "rush" faster through the ears sensitive parts, I'm 43 and was told to avoid it like the plague.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Hearing loss is the hidden disability.

Indeed. I used to get fed up with people treating me as if I was stupid.

Potentially interesting programme has just started on BBC3 - Deaf Teens: Hearing World.

I am profoundly deaf, but happened in my early twenties, so my formative years allowed me to learn everything and how to speak properly. Bit of a shock going deaf at 20. Now 31 and have had a cochlear implant which is impressive. Still nice to be able to take it off and enjoy the peace and quiet now and again.

Learning sign language anyway, which I must say is a brilliant language.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
This, as a sufferer the first few months were the worst of my life as I listened for it.

The noise is there so you listen, the more you listen the more it upsets/stress's the sufferer, the more stressed/upset you become the louder the noise gets, the louder the noise gets the more you listen.

In all seriousness, the quicker you accept the fact that it's there and it isn't going the quicker you learn to deal with it.
yep totally agree as my first 6 months were awful,loss of hearing and terrible migranes etc,been 4 years now and and its much better as you learn how to deal with it.Not so easy for others though:(

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
If your tinnitus has constant pitch, you might be able to get a job as a tuning fork.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here