Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tinnitus awareness week.....

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
6th Feb till 13th.

Now that rings a bell.......
Before anyone slags me off...I have very serious problems with Tinnitus in both ears!:glare:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Church Bells of Halifax: Shay 3-5

6th Feb till 13th.

Now that rings a bell.......
I have very serious problems with Tinnitus in both ears!:glare:

Did you know today was Yorkshire Pudding day? First Sunday in February.

Seriously, I had tinnitus one morning I had never had before. I subsequently discovered it was probably a virus going around. Drinking too much doesn't help because it makes you congested. Although, I found it alarming at the time, the Doctor said it wasn't serious and it went away in about a week.

Phil B

Jul 27, 2004
Ifield, Crawley
Affects me. I have major hearing loss in both ears due to irradiation when i was young.

Beats me - i suffer from major hearing loss at high frequency, but then get tinnitus which keeps me awake all night once in a while.

Crazy!

airman

Patriae Fidus
Jan 25, 2012
Salisbury Plain
I had it for a week once after being too close to an explosion, I'd hate to have it full time. A buddy of mine has it, it stops him sleeping, I couldn't imagine having to live with it all the time.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tinnitus is nasty - if you haven't got it, be thankful and don't mock it. I've lived for twenty five years with the sound of a cistern flushing in my left ear, where all the working bits were cut out to get rid of the cancer which was growing there.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Get it occasionally but mostly my hearing loss is a loss of definition - everyone sounds like they are mumbling.

Those with hearing loss will be roundly fed up with "funny men" who, when you mention you have hearing issues say "pardon" then laugh. I lost it with a bloke at work and had a right old go at him, telling him how it was neither funny nor original (I might have used the C word too)

slimes

Aug 23, 2011
cheltenham
ive had the ringing noise for the last 10 days, went to the docs last tuesday and am going this week to get ears syringed.
have been taking nytol and alchohol to sleep and patacetomal to stop the headahes tho still wake up 4 hours later. im praying its not tinnitus.
last night was best night sleep (went out clubbing) drank to unconsiousness (no nytol) and 14 hours sleep

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Doctor says lay of the pseudoephedrine for congestion. Don't take the standard prescription if it makes it worse. Paracetomol is best.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have very very mild tinnitus. It only comes to the fore when I'm in a silent environment and I can generally tune out of it when there is some back ground/white noise. Not good.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
I have suffered from having Tinnitus in both ears for the past 25years and believe me it is no joke. I have tried every remedy possible with no effect. In fact my GP has told me there is no cure for it.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
I have tinnitus, and sometimes wonder if that's why I'm very short-tempered... probably not, but it does make you quite irritable sometimes, what with the poor sleep and never, ever having any silence in your head.

Although to be fair, I expect anyone with kids could say the same. Or with a telly on white noise gaffer-taped to each ear. He wrote, peevishly.

7 years I've had it in both ears, a high pitch whine that is ever present and dam near sent me insane for the first couple of years.

If I could go back to one day in my life and change something it would be the day I went clay pigeon shooting and decided to not wear ear defenders.

Hearing loss is the hidden disability.

The thing with tinnitus is it doesn't always go hand in hand with hearing loss. When I first did mine I had a hearing test at RSC and they were amazed that my hearing was way above average.

Weird as it sounds, since I "did" my ears I can hear bats.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Just a reminder from last time we had a tinnitus thread. If you think you might have tinnitus, do not try and listen to it/'tune in' especially at night. That way madness lies. It's a radio with a very sticky dial.

I know Pete Townshend of The WHO has it, as have both Captain Kirk (William Shatner) and Mr Spock (Leonard Nimoy) after an explosive on the Star Trek set went off too close to them.

I read that a treatment was to have the same frequency of sound 'fed' to the sufferer through headphones, so that the brain learns to basically start ignoring it as a 'known quantity'. I have no idea if that does actually have any helpful effect on a sufferer, but it seemed plausible. When I recall trying to sleep on ships with the constant noise from the engine-room, it makes some kind of sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here