Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Times when you've gone to the Albion but know you really shouldn't......

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
When as a group of schoolkids we booked a coach (with Plumpton coaches) to go to the City Ground to watch us in a League Cup quarter final at the then European Champions. We organised it ourselves, collected the money and had a good, well organised trip without any adult involvement. We filled the coach and all skivved off and so far as I can recall there were no repercussions!

Ironically, the Seagull Special train broke down on the way and those fans never made it.
Was it a Varndean School coach? Our car broke down on the way to the ground and had to hitch a lift on the motorway. Got a lift from Jamie Baker, the then Argus journalist, but had to find a way back home. I went round the coach park to find a coach that would take me home and got a lift from the Varndean coach.

As for games I shouldn't have gone to. I went to the Leicester match at Withdean the day after we moved into our house. I left Mrs Gwylan cleaning and tidying things away. It wasn't as if I was gone all day - I was out for about three hours but she was still talking about it many years later.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Wednesday Sept 24, 1969. Home to First division Wolves in the third round of the League Cup. We lost 3-2 but came very close to giant killing them, were leading 2-1 late into the second half.

But........HCGSB had their awards evening ( or something like that ) scheduled the same evening and attendance was obligatory.
Those ( many ) of us who went to the football instead were in trouble, although I cannot recall what the punishment was...

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Something my husband has never forgiving me for, was when we played Spurs in the League cup in 2014 (Sami Hyypia was in charge) I said if I get him a ticket we could make a day of it go, in to London have some dinner before going to the match. That was all good util we got to the ground and I explained his ticket was in the upper tier and not in the lower one with me. He was not happy, he does not have a lot of interest in football and sitting on his own was not ideal. He still brings it up every now and again.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
My daughter had one of those school dance shows at the Brighton Dome, told my ex wife that I had to work and went to the Amex for an evening Championship game.
I was in two minds whether to go or not but a work colleague swayed me by saying he'd been to his kids version of it, his kid was on stage for about 6 minutes and then he had to sit through the other 2 hours of it!

my ex some months later during one of "those" conversations said something along the lines of " I know you've said before you are working and have gone to the football" :shrug:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The re-arranged York City game at the Goldstone on Thursday morning 9th May 1996.

I bunked off work in the morning to go saying I had a dental appt. Was allowed in to the west stand by the then kit man.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here