Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Times article on Potterball

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Interesting piece, thanks for posting the full version; I think the writer makes a particularly interesting point about Potter's media approach in the context of the changes he's made to the footballing style.

Agree very much with this comment. This is showbusiness as much as anything now and its important to keep the media onside. Having a persona and a 'cause' buys you goodwill in the media and ultimately time if you're struggling. Popular managers are harder to sack...

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
"t’s one thing to try this sort of thing at a superclub, where the doomsday scenario is that you fall out of the Champions League places. It’s quite another to do it on the hoof at a team with the third-lowest wage bill in the division, with the relegation trapdoor yawning beneath you."

That's more saying that it's unprecedented to try it at a smaller club - not that we shouldn't.

Only a complete WEAPON could find a negative in that statement.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Agree very much with this comment. This is showbusiness as much as anything now and its important to keep the media onside. Having a persona and a 'cause' buys you goodwill in the media and ultimately time if you're struggling. Popular managers are harder to sack...

It didn't save Chris Hughton/

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It didn't save Chris Hughton/

No but I don't think even his most ardent fans could claim he had a vision? His football was pragmatic and his personality while nice was not perceived as dynamic, ultimately that was a significant factor in his demise, if you look at someone like Eddie Howe whether you think he is doing a good job or not he is perceived as a young up and coming manager playing attractive football etc etc. Considering their wage bill etc the Bournemouth side that came here earlier in the season was one of the worst sides I've seen in awhile. Admittedly they had injury problems but I think if he hadn't this media profile his position would've been questioned far more than it was. If Bournemouth go down will Howe go? I fancy he wouldn't. If West Ham go, I very much doubt Moyes would survive and tbf to him its not even his squad....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here