Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time wasting

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We win twice in a week and still people moan. I think they held posession bloody well today. It started too early but fairly understandable I think. Anyway watching Coxy in the corner for more than a minute turn their full back inside out twenty times was still entertaining.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The critical thing when encouraging crosses when 1-0 up with the finish line in sight, is that you absolutely CANNOT allow their keeper to end up with the ball in his hands in free play.

Even a good quality cross has that likelyhood, therefore it must be imperative to keep possession rather than give us the cross we would expect earlier in the game.

The one thing I notice recently that needs some consideration is that Referees seem to have a directive to inact their own interpretation of the rules and seem keen to give the defending team beneficial decisions when teams use this as a tactic.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The one thing I notice recently that needs some consideration is that Referees seem to have a directive to inact their own interpretation of the rules and seem keen to give the defending team beneficial decisions when teams use this as a tactic.

Certainly seemed the case today when Cox seemed to get a rough deal on a couple of occasions when perhaps earlier in the game he would have won a free kick (not counting one of his blatant dives that is!!)

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Certainly seemed the case today when Cox seemed to get a rough deal on a couple of occasions when perhaps earlier in the game he would have won a free kick (not counting one of his blatant dives that is!!)

Its happened a few times this season.......

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I understand keeping possession for the last few minutes when you are winning by a single goal but surely when you have the best part of a quarter of an hour to go, you have a player away on the wing and a couple of players screaming for the ball in the box the best thing is to cross the ball. A second goal would have killed the game beyond doubt. Take it to its extreme, if we go 1-0 up in the first half should we go for the corner for the whole of the second half.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Have to say, I was INFURIATED by the last 15. It was ludicrous. Players who had the ball in decent attacking positions were getting caught in two minds not knowing whether to stick or twist, and invariably losing the ball as a direct result. Shall I pass forward ? Shall I cross it ? Shall I play it back to someone ? Shall I just DITHER ?

For f*** SAKE just carry on doing what you've been doing - it was good enough to get us into a winning position for christs sake. The uncertainty and dithering just made for an even more anxious 15 than it needed to be. I'm not saying go gung-ho for the second goal, but just keep playing and attacking as we had done and we'd have cruised it. Instead we had Robinson giving it away three times putting us on the back foot again, Cox practically SHAGGING the corner flag, and everyone looking terrified when if we'd played our normal game, we'd have seen it out and possibly got a 2nd.

I was relieved to hear from Wilkins that it certainly wasn'ta directive from him. The last few knockings maybe, but the last quarter of an hour ?! Still, we muddled through despite all that and overall it was a damn good performance. But that team needs to learn how to see a game out properly.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The critical thing when encouraging crosses when 1-0 up with the finish line in sight, is that you absolutely CANNOT allow their keeper to end up with the ball in his hands in free play.

Even a good quality cross has that likelyhood, therefore it must be imperative to keep possession rather than give us the cross we would expect earlier in the game.

Agreed

We only scored once in 77 minutes, so why do people thinks we are more likely to score in the last 13, especially when WINNING 1 - 0, should we be playing Kamikasefootball, to get players into their area from midfield or defense to try to get on the end of a cross - giving Oldham a good chance to counter attack?

Cox went towards the corner a couple of times in the last 13 minutes and had he actually crossed the ball, the moaning would be about why giving the ball away when we are winning - besides he had on a couple of these times, just one target to aim for in their box and no one in support to play the ball back to.

We stopped Oldham scoring, and won an entertaining game so why moan - our home record this season has been good, yet by reading comments on NSC you could be convinced into thinking we are losing every game badly.

It appears to me that as a result of the fans battles off the pitch to oust Archer & co, then with Lewes District council for planning permission for Falmer, that some have become used to having a figurehead to hate and attack, now we no longer have either of the ones mentioned above threatening the club, a new figure (or figures) of hate have been created, and they have decided on attacking people trying to do good for the club in the board / management / players just so they can continue this habit - often making out non existant or trivial matters are of massive importance and trying the warp things into a way of attacking them.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We should not be taking the ball into the corners with 15 minutes to go.

With Oldham pressing there was space in behind them to have exploited.

You all know its wrong so stop arguing and lets move on to how we are going to thrash the eastenders.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Let's see if we do it next week.

howbizzare

Dec 2, 2007
I think its a great improvement of form and worth the 3 points. It wasn't that long ago that we lost to (dare i say it) Mansfield. In the first half we had at least four good chances and a couple in the second. This game went down in the papers as a good goal by Murray and didnt mention the "tomfoolery" in the corner.
Next week, Leyton Orient, should be a good time to show our improvements.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here