Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to try Four Four Two tonight? Thoughts on formation?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
For what it's worth, I've been tearing people apart on FIFA with Brighton with this diamond lineup which obviously means it would be the best for real life

Ankergren
Calde Greer Dunk Painter
Bridcutt
Buckley Lualua/Noone
Vicente
CMS Barnes

I think CMS must be averaging 2 or 3 a game

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I would counter that with the fact that his best work for us has been on the right when he has cut inside onto his left foot, so his best position NOW is open to debate.

No, he is a left sided absolute effing genius doing a job for us where needed at present. His best position out of a) the one he has played his entire career or b) the wrong flank is quite obviously a). However, where we most need him to play is open to debate. Personally, I'd give him a free role until Buckley returns and then play Vicente and Buckley as the Pedro and Villa to CMS's Messi. At home anyway...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
No, he is a left sided absolute effing genius doing a job for us where needed at present. His best position out of a) the one he has played his entire career or b) the wrong flank is quite obviously a). However, where we most need him to play is open to debate. Personally, I'd give him a free role until Buckley returns and then play Vicente and Buckley as the Pedro and Villa to CMS's Messi. At home anyway...

Vicente, Buckley and CMS sounds QUALITY.

I agree as well, of course, Vicente's best position is left wing. Just think Noone is good there and Vicente is good enough to operate on the opposite flank for the time being. Needs must.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It would be interesting to see:

-----------------------16. Casper Ankergren------------------------
14. Iñigo Calderón 5. Lewis Dunk 3. Gordon Greer 22. Marcos Painter
-----26. Liam Bridcutt----10. Matt Sparrow-----14. Vicente Rodríguez
-----12. Craig Mackail-Smith 9. Ashley Barnes 25. Kazenga LuaLua

This is 4-3-3 and Sparrow is essential in the absence of Buckley.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
My opinion, which you are entitled to disagree completely with, is that the player we should be utilising to the very best of his capability, is Vicente. I don't think the right side of midfield is the way to do that, needs must or otherwise. Like I said, only my view.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
And before anyone (from Palace) wants to start accusing me of comparing us to Barca and all that shite I simply mean that I like the idea of the interchangeable three in attacking positions. The talk of Billy Paynter, Rob Hulse and this feted Plan B we apparently need makes me want to vomit. Phuck that for a game of airborne soldiers.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd go 4-4-2. Keep the defence the same and build on the clean sheet vs Hull. Midfield L-R I'd go Vicente, Bridcutt, Dicker, Noone, with CMS and Barnes upfront.

I think Barnes is given too much defensive work to do. Let him expend this energy by chasing defenders and lost causes like CMS does, and focus on simply being a forward. I think CMS would also benefit from having a proper partner.

Let Vicente play wide left where he's been most of his career, play Noone because he's been our most consistent attacking player all season and play two hard workers in central midfield.

Against Hull we kept it tight for 65 mins and then the game loosened up with them having the better chances. We could easily have lost that match by conceding late goals, as we've done often this season.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I'd go 4-4-2. Keep the defence the same and build on the clean sheet vs Hull. Midfield L-R I'd go Vicente, Bridcutt, Dicker, Noone, with CMS and Barnes upfront.

I think Barnes is given too much defensive work to do. Let him expend this energy by chasing defenders and lost causes like CMS does, and focus on simply being a forward. I think CMS would also benefit from having a proper partner.

Let Vicente play wide left where he's been most of his career, play Noone because he's been our most consistent attacking player all season and play two hard workers in central midfield.

Against Hull we kept it tight for 65 mins and then the game loosened up with them having the better chances. We could easily have lost that match by conceding late goals, as we've done often this season.

Spot on. He's an out and out striker for me, not an attacking midfielder. Should be playing further forward than CMS in my mind. CMS is having to do it all by himself up front and as you say, would benefit greatly if he had someone next to him

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I think there will be changes as I seem to remember Gus commenting on trying to keep it fresh, not going to bother predicting it though, one thing I have noticed is that whatever the line up(out of the many suggested) is that our midfield always looks very lightweight.

jharris

Feb 27, 2009
Ankergen
Calderon Greer Dunk Painter
Bridcutt Dicker
Sparrow
Vicente CMS Noone​
SUBS
Barnes Hoskins Harley Vincelot Brezovan

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I would counter that with the fact that his best work for us has been on the right when he has cut inside onto his left foot, so his best position NOW is open to debate.

I would say that 4 decent performances in the Championship compared to 150 in La Liga and 38 for Spain is unlikely to raise too many questions on his best position.

ForeverAGull

Jul 14, 2010
East Sussex
would love to see something roughly like
-----------Casper--------------
Calderon - Dunk - Greer - Painter
Noone/Lualua - Bridcutt - Harley/sparrow - Vicente
----- Hoskins - CMS -----

Barns doesn't deserve to play after hull!
in my opinion the only thing he is good for is penaltys which i think cms will happily take!
also starting to see everywhere that sparrow is going to start (inc offical website)but I think I would prefer to see Harley in there

subs barns, spaz/harley, noon/lualua, brezovan, vincelot

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Have written a small blog on why I think we should play 442 tonight.

http://sweatshoptachinardi.blogspot.com/2011/10/time-to-flirt-with-four-four-two.html

What formation would everyone else play? Thoughts? Who would you play?

Mine would be:

GK Ankergren
LB Painter
RM Calderon
CB Dunk
CB Greer
LW Noone
RW Vincente
CM Dicker
CM Bridcutt
F Mackail-Smith
F Hoskins

Subs:
Brezovan
Vincelot
Harley
Sparrow
Barnes

Re blog;

An out and out left winger leaves once less in midfield. So the central midfielder then should be box to box (or box to somewhere in front of the opposing penalty area). Sparrow is the only one with the legs? Barnes to me seems best when facing the goal (mainly because his trapping and holding possession is is below standard).

Despite tippy tappy, quite a few of our goals have come from running at the opposing defence. Forecast: 1-0 to the Albion (for a finish in the top 7).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here