Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to ask the question - Have you lost faith in the manager ?

Have you lost faith in Oscar ?

• Yes

Votes: 52 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 289 84.8%

• Total voters

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You are quite something.

Bridcutt, Ulloa, Mackail-Smith, a fit Lua Lua and Orlandi would not make much difference to our results but Oscar waving his arms around on the sidelines would do...? :clown:

Bridcutt and Mackail-Smith haven't featured at all this season, Orlandi only very briefly, Ulloa and Lua Lua certainly have played several games, and when they did were performances or results very much different to now?, no quite right they weren't. I wasn't advocating Oscar wave his arms about as you put it, what would be the point in that?, but a little more visible concern and enthusiasm might go down well.

Oh and by the way, lets wait until the end of the season before we decide whether or not l'm a clown.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
As someone else said, what we haven't really seen is any sign, or hint of, progression. Yes, he needs time and yes we've had a hell of a lot of injuries, but even so...

What I don't understand is why Oscar felt the need to change the way we played under Gus (I'm certain that if we'd had Ulloa from the start of last season we would have gone up automatically - our one major failing was that we couldn't turn our possession and dominance into goals).

There was no need to change our style play. We were already playing most other teams in the division off the park. If it ain't broke... All we needed to do was strengthen the squad a little and find a half-decent replacement for Bridge.

Very harsh to judge him so soon, but I haven't seen much so far that has filled me with optimism.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We've got 4 points less than we had at this time last year.

Last year we were P12 W5 D3 L4

This year we are P12 W3 D5 L4

Lots if 'if's' 'but's' etc. but those are the facts. We are 2 goals; converting 2 draws to wins away from being exactly where we were 12 months ago.

People need to get a grip.

Massively turbulent summer. Bridcutt out, Ulloa out - massive. Bridge gone - massive. Under Poyet Bridcutt missed about 9 games out of 92 in 2 championship seasons. CMS out, Orlandi out - not critical but notable.

Has he really changed out style, or are the players just not playing as well? The formation remains the same, as does arguably the movement. Are teams putting us under more pressure higher up the pitch therefore putting pressure on our defense to go long at times (I see a big difference in getting rid under pressure, and playing a long ball when there is a choice not to...)? Has our midfield (especially in the absence of Bridcutt) failed to gel at this point, and failed to get the control our passing game needs? Is Ulloa missing due to suspension and injury arguably the difference between us being 4 pts behind where we were after 12 last season, to this season?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We've got 4 points less than we had at this time last year.

Last year we were P12 W5 D3 L4

This year we are P12 W3 D5 L4

Lots if 'if's' 'but's' etc. but those are the facts. We are 2 goals; converting 2 draws to wins away from being exactly where we were 12 months ago.

People need to get a grip.

But last year we had a style, a way of playing. Last year we had players fitted into a system that suited them. Last year we were having a lot of bad luck in terms of last minute equalisers, penalties missed and so on. Last year we kept on going as a team that played one way, that was gelled, had morale, and ended up fourth.

This year?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'll have a go...

"Signings" are not really his department. All to do with money and negotiations between the likes of Burke, Bloom and players' agents.

Ignoring the extremes, "Tactics" in football are fairly simple and mainly revolve around having better players than the opposition. Most of our best players are out injured. Under Oscar we are playing a slightly more direct/attack-minded brand of football than under Gus but it would be fairly impossible not to be doing that...

His "Interviews" are in his second (third?) language. He is naturally guarded when in front of the camera. I am sure he is completely different away from the cameras.

He has been Brighton manager for too short a time to judge him. You need to look over a longer period. Ten years' experience playing and coaching at Barcelona, followed by winning a league title in his first season as a club manager, provides more than a glimmer that he might be "a good manager"...

It is ridiculous to be questioning the manager when we are so obviously completely screwed at the moment by injuries to nearly all of our best midfield/forward players. These 0-0 results away from home are not bad... Yeovil obviously less creditworthy than Reading and QPR, but the three taken together are fine.

If he wants to impose his new way of playing on the squad he bloody better start getting a better grip of signings himself. How can you change the style of playing without controlling the personnel?

Oscar may have spent ten years playing as centre-back for one of the best passing sides in Europe, but then, so did Tony Adams. Oscar may have won a league title in Europe, but then, so did Steve McLaren.

Injury to Ulloa is gutting, no-one is denying that. But why is the team so shapeless at present?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If he wants to impose his new way of playing on the squad he bloody better start getting a better grip of signings himself. How can you change the style of playing without controlling the personnel?

You surely can't have a pop at Garcia for the structure at our football club? If he demands he wants to change our whole system and transfer policy, then I imagine he'll be out of a job.

Personally, I don't like the sound of the way we conduct our transfers now. I've always liked the clear brief that the manager pinpoints a list of players, hands it to the chief exec or whoever, and they contact the clubs and try, from the top of the list working down, to get one of those players.

That was the traditional way. I may be proved 100% wrong and having Burke lead the team of Scouts and analysts prior to Garcia giving the OK may work, but I like to think that the manager (the bloke you hired because he knows the most about football) would be a better indicator of player ability than someone who never played the game.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But last year we had a style, a way of playing. Last year we had players fitted into a system that suited them. Last year we were having a lot of bad luck in terms of last minute equalisers, penalties missed and so on. Last year we kept on going as a team that played one way, that was gelled, had morale, and ended up fourth.

This year?

Really? CMS never suited GP's systems, and we only pushed for play-offs once Ulloa arrived. In FACT, at the end of December we were still 10th having W8 D10 L6.

As far as results went, from the end of September 2012 to the end of December 2012 we won just 3 games from 17!!

Bizarre memories people have...

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
:facepalm:

47 people have lost faith, unbelievable.

We're barely a quarter of the way into the new season, not in any serious trouble of getting relegated and have a horrendous injury list, plus Oscar is new to English football so is sure to need time to settle in.

Thank god it's the board who make serious decisions and not some of our 'supporters'.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
The guy needs to be let loose a little, given some money to spend (im not talking 10's of £m's as I dont think we have it) 3-5m would be good in Jan to see what he can bring to the table.
At the moment he has the mojority of his first choice team out whilst the board keep singing these duff loanees that are miles from being match fit!
Give the guy a chance eh?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

We're barely a quarter of the way into the new season, not in any serious trouble of getting relegated and have a horrendous injury list, plus Oscar is new to English football so is sure to need time to settle in.

Thank god it's the board who make serious decisions and not some of our 'supporters'.

Winner with a capital W? Well l don't think you will be winning too much with an attitude like that. Do you then see avoiding relegation relegation as an achievement?. I'm afraid that after finishing fourth last season and narrowly missing out in the pay-offs, l see it very much as a failure. Even with a new manager at the helm l would very much expect us to finish in the top half of the table, if not the play-offs once again.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Winner with a capital W? Well l don't think you will be winning too much with an attitude like that. Do you then see avoiding relegation relegation as an achievement?. I'm afraid that after finishing fourth last season and narrowly missing out in the pay-offs, l see it very much as a failure. Even with a new manager at the helm l would very much expect us to finish in the top half of the table, if not the play-offs once again.

Who's to say we won't?? We're barely a quarter of the way through the season and once we get injured players back will be in much better shape.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Even with a new manager at the helm l would very much expect us to finish in the top half of the table, if not the play-offs once again.

I think that is fair enough. As I state above, GP last season won just 3 from 17 between Sept and Dec. and we were 6 pts from the Play off spots at the end of 2012 in 10th and I certainly felt that following the 3-1 defeat at home to Watford on the 29th that we weren't going to be good enough. He had his squad pretty much fit and 3 years at the club behind him.

The point being there is a long way to go, and a lot of time to give OG before people start losing the faith. It wasn't until Ulloa came in Jan that we really looked even remotely like making the Play offs last season, and even then, it wasn't until February that the team finally got their act together and pushed into the Play-offs with 9 wins from 17 games.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Never ask a football fan a question about their manager or their team. You'll always get a stupid answer.

You can probably count on one hand the managers that have ever got anywhere near unequivocal support.

Look at Wenger. If Arsenal supporters had had there way he wouldn't be in charge of the top of the table side.

When people put their fan head on they too often lose perspective. I'm sure TB won't.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

No they haven't. The actual voting is meaningless - The poll started out with a trick in that the question being polled was the opposite of the thread title - meaning that some votes went to the wrong option.

The question was changed, but the votes weren't reset.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

No they haven't. The actual voting is meaningless - The poll started out with a trick in that the question being polled was the opposite of the thread title - meaning that some votes went to the wrong option.

The question was changed, but the votes weren't reset.

This. I voted yes because the thread title was originally "do you still have faith in Oscar". At that point the yeses out numbered the nos, then it was pointed out the question with the poll was different to the thread title. If you read through the thread you would pick that up. I suspect it was a deliberate act from ernest.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Really? CMS never suited GP's systems, and we only pushed for play-offs once Ulloa arrived. In FACT, at the end of December we were still 10th having W8 D10 L6.

As far as results went, from the end of September 2012 to the end of December 2012 we won just 3 games from 17!!

Bizarre memories people have...
It is impossible to see what happened last season when wearing Gus Goggles-he was perfect dontcha know?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here