Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time Magazine's Persons of the Year

Stumpy Tim

Has anyone read the latest issue of Time Magazine - the finest publication on the planet? They named Bono, Bill Gates & Melinda Gates as Time Magazine's Persons of the Year. They also named George Bush Snr & Bill Clinton as partnership of the year.

It's a fantastic read - best Time I've read in the past two years. Really stirring stuff about all five people. The relationship between Bill Gates & Bono is extremely interesting, and that of Bush Snr. & Clinton is strange.

Interested to hear people's opinions on Bill Gates. My opinion - my company competes with Microsoft at some levels, and I've suffered by their underhand tactics, but I suppose that's business and when you realise what the Gates spend their money on they actually are an inspiration.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
On a side note Bill Gates has been doing a bit of insider trading in Berkshire Hathaway recently (his old mate Warren's company and a company he is on the board of)

my share tip of the month! and gauranteed to go up unlike Glovers "tips"

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
dwayne said:
Berkshire Hathaway

Not listed under LSE - on what exchange are they traded ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
dwayne said:

Fair point - I have a comdirect account but not sure I can buy on NYSE.

Anyway just waiting on a share result after two years in the wilderness - might finally make a bit of cash so not in a buying position at present.

BBH

Jul 28, 2004
Tooting Bec
You seen how expensive the shares are?? designed for long term investment only. Go to the website of Berkshire Hathaway & read the chairman;s notes - always a good read!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think Bill Gates deserves all the plaudits he gets. They do a fantastic amount for charity and it is well known that upto 95% of his wealth will go towards curing HIV, cancer and Malaria when he passes on.

I don't like the way Microsoft have monopolised the market, but fair play to him.

Stumpy Tim

BarrelofFun said:
I think Bill Gates deserves all the plaudits he gets. They do a fantastic amount for charity and it is well known that upto 95% of his wealth will go towards curing HIV, cancer and Malaria when he passes on.

I don't like the way Microsoft have monopolised the market, but fair play to him.

They've monopolised some parts of the market, but not all. They play the "Giant" card too much though

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
BBH said:
You seen how expensive the shares are?? designed for long term investment only. Go to the website of Berkshire Hathaway & read the chairman;s notes - always a good read!

Sadly I've got the book of Warren Buffet yearly reports and tit-bits, quite dry but there are some gems in there. BH are a long term investment, it is Buffett after all, bu there has never been a better time to buy IMHO.

BBH

Jul 28, 2004
Tooting Bec
If you have over £50k for one single share !!!!

I would disagree mind, in that he has done very well to ensure continuity after he has gone (I forget the other guys name) & I did some research ont his a few months ago, from the looks of it, there shouldn't be too many problems, yet it is so associated with Buffet himself that as soon as there is even a hint of illness, the price will fall - I would say then would be the time to buy, once the inevitable fall has occurred. This obviously on the assumption that you have that much cash !

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Always the big names,:angry: How about the bus driver on the bus that was blown up,back to work and no song and dance about it:) Also the McCartney sisters from Belfast,trying to get justice for their brother.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here