Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time for Sanchez

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Think Ryan needs a rest as he’s not been performing well at all at the moment. His distribution is so slow as well but that may be a tactic rather than him not wanting to get us going on the counter attack.

The question is then whether it’s Walton or Sanchez to come in.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Obvious nonsense.

It's because he doesn't rate him as ready.

Yes, he played him against Spurs, but every other game he's not made the 18.

I know, I was being sarcastic after a disappointing evening. But what did Sanchez do wrong against Spurs?? he deserved another chance.
I'm still a 'Potter in' fan, and I don't blame Ryan for tonight's defeat (should have stopped the first though), but some of the selections are baffling: Burn was always going to be ripped apart in that formation.
When I'm baffled by team selection I resort to sarcasm/ make stuff up, cos there's no logic to follow.
:albion2:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Seems to be a trait of Potter - give player a chance, player plays well, is dropped and never seen again. See also Alzate this season. He did it to someone last season as well, possibly March.

I agree with you. It's really weird. Alzate (especially), Sanchez (only one game, but he played well), Ali J maybe. It's almost as if he's only played them cos they've knocked on his door and asked twice! I remember end of last season when he played Schelotto once or twice and I thought... Wtf, haven't you figured out yet he's not good enough:albion2:!?...so I sarcastically think its cos Schelotto has politely knocked on his door and asked to play.
IMO (I know nothing really) Alzate should play more regularly, Ryan should be given a 3 game rest, Ali J...back to the bench, start Zequiri (we have no idea what he's like, but what's to lose?!) with Welbeck.

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
I think it is time fore a change. Evidently Sanchez is better than Walton with his feet which is obviously important for us. I think Sanchez in for the next game

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I wouldn’t say Sanchez was ‘given a chance’ in that game he played per-say, we all know why he played that game. Since that whole thing occurred both Ryan and Maupay have struggled big time. Sanchez did well in that game and I liked how commanding and confident he was despite it being his first game at this level, I’d be surprised if Potter wasn’t considering playing Sanchez but you have to think about this from a managers perspective, clearly Ryan is a significant influence in the dressing room and dropping him could cause bigger issues amongst the leadership groups which are going to be important in our fight against relegation.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I agree with you. It's really weird. Alzate (especially), Sanchez (only one game, but he played well), Ali J maybe. It's almost as if he's only played them cos they've knocked on his door and asked twice! I remember end of last season when he played Schelotto once or twice and I thought... Wtf, haven't you figured out yet he's not good enough:albion2:!?...so I sarcastically think its cos Schelotto has politely knocked on his door and asked to play.
IMO (I know nothing really) Alzate should play more regularly, Ryan should be given a 3 game rest, Ali J...back to the bench, start Zequiri (we have no idea what he's like, but what's to lose?!) with Welbeck.

The reason Schelotto played was because Brighton had two right backs, one who was shite (Montoya) and one who was shite (Schelotto). He pretty much had to use both as the club didnt replace Bruno. Once Lamptey came into the picture, there was no talk.

As for Zeqiri, there is plenty to lose (football games) if he is not good enough, which at present is very likely since there is a gigantic step between the Swiss second division (think something like National League level) and the PL. Hopefully we'll see him in the PL at some point but I suspect there is a shitload of work to be done preparing him for this level.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Everyone saying it can't be worse, really need to think about what they're saying.
Last night was the first time He's let one in, where I thought, "Nah, you should have saved that".

The problem isn't that Maty is a bad keeper. He really isn't.
It's just that we need someone better.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He's been a highly consistent performer for us for years, but is clearly suffering with confidence at the moment. So no

I wish I could agree. Maty made one fantastic save yesterday. But, for the wonder goal, the shot went in because he's too short. He moved correcltly but couldn't reach the ball. When faced with some of the best players in the world he's goint to let in one or two goals a game owing to his size. Now we have resolved some of our other limitatations the effect of this is now manifest.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Take Ryan out of the firing line, he's still our best keeper at the club when on top form but he's clearly severely lacking in confidence and there's no respite for a keeper in that scenario

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Question for you all

If GP thinks Sanchez is ready to take over Ryan's spot, why was Steele on the bench today?

That is the $64m question and one I think only GP can answer.

Why was Ryan dropped for the Spurs game?
Why was he replaced by Sanchez and not Steel who it would seem is higher up the pecking order?
Why has Sanchez now disappeared off the face of the earth?
What has happened to Walton, is he back from his injury? If so where does he fit in to this puzzle?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
That is the $64m question and one I think only GP can answer.

Why was Ryan dropped for the Spurs game?
Why was he replaced by Sanchez and not Steel who it would seem is higher up the pecking order?
Why has Sanchez now disappeared off the face of the earth?
What has happened to Walton, is he back from his injury? If so where does he fit in to this puzzle?

1. Allegedly tactically, but I think there was a strong "kick up the ar$e" message in it
2. No idea
3. No idea, but it could have been a message that neither Steele or Ryan were doing enough in training
4. Working back from injury but, for my mind, simply nowhere near the right standard.

I wonder if the speculation of Martinez in the summer effected Ryan more than expected?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I wondered whether Sanchez has not been on the bench so that he can get game time with the U23s - however it seems that he has only made 3 appearances with the U23s this season (Carl Rushworth appears to have made the majority of appearances, with Walton having played too).

It will be interested to see which 'keeper gets the nod for the cup games, with potentially four goalies in the mix.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Looked a lot better than Ryan.
Way more presence.
If he gets dropped it will be unbelievable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
We'll played. Nice to see a keeper looking down at Mitrovic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here