Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for a supporters trust ?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I think the idea of a supporters trust is an excellent idea, it has been a great sucsess at my 'other' club Aberdeen, and it has brought the board and its dealings with all aspects of running a club right out in the open.

However we musn't make the fatal mistake in it being some kind of 'wholly owned' NSC type affair, and the idea should be sounded out throughout the area with supporters organisations and through the local media, and to the ordinary fan in the street.

In my opinion what makes the Falmer campaign guys so sucseessful is its ability to encompus all sections of the Albion support, not just the minority on an internet message board.

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
that said it's probably unfair to discuss individuals unless they have thrown their hat in the ring, so to speak

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Whoever it is needs to be properly elected. I would prefer somebody who hasn't been involved in any of the recent campaign.

No disrespect to them, but somebody truely independent from the club is best I think.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Desert Orchid said:
Harsh. Any other suggestions?

I don't think that's harsh at all as Yorkie herself has said she is somewhere between eternally optimistic and blind faith. In my mind that isn't independant enough from the club.

Someone like DTG who isn't scared to say hard things and stand their ground to the directors and shareholders of the club.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
clapham_gull said:
Whoever it is needs to be properly elected. I would prefer somebody who hasn't been involved in any of the recent campaign.

No disrespect to them, but somebody truely independent from the club is best I think.

Maybe a retired person with relevent experience. They could be paid a salary.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
To represent a trust in the boardroom would take many rounds of discusions and even voting to get the RIGHT candidate.

Only someone with experience of business and commerce combined with a knowledge of our club and its history would be suitable.

To sugest names from this site is insulting to the thousands of Albion fans who dont use this site and probably nver have any intention to do so.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I can well understand the initial suspicion and distrust regarding the club’s appeal for funds. Equally I can understand some of the edginess regarding Dick Knight’s integrity, given the history of our club’s former chairmen and owners and as some people have pointed out the broken dreams of other champions like Peter Ridsdale.

But, I agree with Brackers that we need to stay united at this time and that worthy – and worthwhile - a Supporters Trust may be, it is an unnecessary diversion and may be self-defeating, when combined action and unity is essential if our club is to survive.

We have been through far worse than this and in light of the events of the past 10 years the club’s debts are hardly surprising. In fact, they could have been a damn sight worse! £2 million is surmountable.

Given the actions of John Prescott in reopening the inquiry, we need to stand shoulder to shoulder with Dick Knight and Martin Perry and battle together for the thing that unites us all: Brighton and Hove Albion.

My donation is on its way.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I tend to agree.

What would be the comittment level required to chair this?

If there was to be a mouthpiece for the supporters outside the usual "suspects" then I am sure people would be interested. I would be.

i know from being a school governor ( and working in London) sitting on boards can be time consuming, especially if meetings are called in the normal working hours. That is one of the main issues here.

dave

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Rougvie said:
To represent a trust in the boardroom would take many rounds of discusions and even voting to get the RIGHT candidate.

Only someone with experience of business and commerce combined with a knowledge of our club and its history would be suitable.

To sugest names from this site is insulting to the thousands of Albion fans who dont use this site and probably nver have any intention to do so.

Totally agree

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
The reason I support the idea of a supporters' trust is because I want as much money as possible to be raised to help the club, and I know there are people who would be far happier donating to such a trust. I talked briefly to Dick Knight about this last night, and his response was that it's a good idea once we're at Falmer but that the money is needed in the short term, and setting up such a trust would take time. That is all very well, but since there are people who would probably only donate to one, it's worth considering to maximise the available support.

I know nothing and care less about financial legalistics, but obviously among our ranks there are experts in this field. Is it not realistic to hope that there are a number of individuals with the necessary expertise, who have not been involved directly in the day to day battles so far, who would be prepared to take this on?

Morgans Mullet

Mar 9, 2004
Who should represent the fans isn't an issue at the moment. To be effective everyone who donates money to the club should be a member of the Supports' Club and that could mean thousands of members. I am sure there will be many suitable candidates amoungst us. First of all we need an agreement from the club that they would welcome a Supports Trust and are willing to part with shares and provide a seat on the board in return for investment by the supporters. LB has posted a question for Insider - it will be interesting to see what Insider says.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
attila said:
The reason I support the idea of a supporters' trust is because I want as much money as possible to be raised to help the club, and I know there are people who would be far happier donating to such a trust. I talked briefly to Dick Knight about this last night, and his response was that it's a good idea once we're at Falmer but that the money is needed in the short term, and setting up such a trust would take time. That is all very well, but since there are people who would probably only donate to one, it's worth considering to maximise the available support.

I know nothing and care less about financial legalistics, but obviously among our ranks there are experts in this field. Is it not realistic to hope that there are a number of individuals with the necessary expertise, who have not been involved directly in the day to day battles so far, who would be prepared to take this on?

Thats was why I posted the original thread.

(its obviously been thought about in depth in past)

I just think if a trust was in place it would be actually easier to raise the money.

Last edited:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Morgans Mullet said:
I support the idea of the of a Supporters' Trust . In fact I think it should receive it return for raising money to fund the club what any other investor in the club would get, a shareholding in proportion to the money invested and a seat on the board. The Supporters' Trust Director could be elected each year and would be the supporters voice on the borad.
If the supporters were to raise the £2 miilion needed, this would result in just over 20% shareholding in the club, based on the £7 million raised by existing directors and shareholders figure quoted.
With a 20% shareholding and director on the board, the Supporters Trust would be in good position to prevent an Archer type situation ever occuring again.

Spot on!:clap: :clap:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The problem with the Supporters Club DO is that it is regraded in some quarters as an elitist clique that is not that friendly to outside interference with what they regard as their territory.

This may or not be an urban myth, but there you go.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
clearly it's a non starter if no one is willing to take it on and and I guess we'll know that is the case before long but I think people should come forward if they want to and feel they are up to it and then have some kind of vote as happens with many clubs and societies etc.

Just to clarify to Dave, i wasn't suggesting you put yourself forward I just think someone like you would be good. You weren't called Pit bull for nothing you know.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The Supporters Club does not represent the views of many fans, and is too close to Dick Knight and the Board. Thus it's independence cannot be guaranteed. However, there are also a number of other supporters clubs such as A21, who have remained at arms length and have views that are more in keeping with those of "ordinary" fans.

Morgans Mullet

Mar 9, 2004
I understand what you are saying Desert O but whoever is elected can't satisfy everyone but must satisfy the majority - this is what democracy is.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think the trust also needs to have some form of ownership in the club in the form of shares. If supporters as a group are being asked to raise two million now, it is only fair that that group gets shares and a voice on the board.

What I'm worried about is that in the future, Dick stands down and another group come on board - obviously with the safeguards in place to stop a single person takiing control of the club. However...

... what if this new group of people see no moral obligation in the creating of a supporters trust or any of the ideas floated around ?

We have become so close to the club in the past few years, feeling that out actions have had a direct effect on it's direction and survival.

Now is the time for some kind of supporters trust and voice on the board whilst there is unity between the fans and the board.

Maybe today isn't the time - we need to get on with raising the money. But this has to happen after we get the go ahead for the stadium.

I think the fans deserve it.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
clapham_gull said:
I think the trust also needs to have some form of ownership in the club in the form of shares. If supporters as a group are being asked to raise two million now, it is only fair that that group gets shares and a voice on the board.

What I'm worried about is that in the future, Dick stands down and another group come on board - obviously with the safeguards in place to stop a single person takiing control of the club. However...

... what if this new group of people see no moral obligation in the creating of a supporters trust or any of the ideas floated around ?

We have become so close to the club in the past few years, feeling that out actions have had a direct effect on it's direction and survival.

Now is the time for some kind of supporters trust and voice on the board whilst there is unity between the fans and the board.

Maybe today isn't the time - we need to get on with raising the money. But this has to happen after we get the go ahead for the stadium.

I think the fans deserve it.

I suspect because when Falmer is approved (as a result of all of our support and actions) the value will go up!:nono:

Morgans Mullet

Mar 9, 2004
Clapham, this is exactly the point I was making earlier on this thread. We need to push for the shares and directorship now otherwise it may be too late.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here