Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Time for a Separate RIP Section?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
My immediate thought is no. If the person concerned creates a lot of interest then the thread will stay at the top for a long time naturally.
This is, after all, a football forum...

It's very much not thank goodness. Most of the interesting stuff has nothing to do with football.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A burgeoning thread populated by people moaning about non football threads?

You couldn't make it up :facepalm:

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Can we all choose which topics go on the main board? If so can we get rid of betting, boxing, cricket, away ticket, and non-league threads? I'm not interested in them and would rather they didn't clog up the main board, thanks.

Though I think if we all get to pick what threads don't make the big board, we might not be left with much. I'm sure there are some that don't like the in-fighting and negativity you get in match day threads so even they'd have to go...

I for one would like to express my bitter disappointment at the inclusion of away ticket threads in your selection . They are very much my happy place .
In fact if they go then i go !!! Oh hang on a minute ..................

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It is what it is.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We've had a few more RIPs than usual, but it's still only about ten in the top 200 threads on the board.

I think we can cope.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Seem to be getting a lot of RIP threads started recently, some very obscure tbh. (See dolphin RIP thread...!)

Is it time to have a separate forum where these can be posted and where they won't fade into obscurity after a day or two.

Also will be a place where people will know where to look, especially friends/family/fans of those passed if there is a personal connection?

Thoughts?

I'd prefer to see them remain on The Big Board.
I personally don't wander far from page 1 of this board.
I can't imagine I'd be clicking on the RIP board [much like the Bear Pit] to see recently departed and so would "miss" the news of those dearly departed.
Usually a few days [depending on popularity / controversy] and it will slip on to page 2 anyway.

Let it be ...

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Seem to be getting a lot of RIP threads started recently, some very obscure tbh. (See dolphin RIP thread...!)

Is it time to have a separate forum where these can be posted and where they won't fade into obscurity after a day or two.

Also will be a place where people will know where to look, especially friends/family/fans of those passed if there is a personal connection?

Thoughts?

Problem is we are all getting older, and death comes to us all. I do regularly look at the recent deaths page on wiki, and each year there’s more people I know of on there.

Maybe a separate section might be the answer, I’m currently on tenterhooks as the last time I saw Biggins in July he looked like death warmed up, poor old boy.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Problem is we are all getting older, and death comes to us all. I do regularly look at the recent deaths page on wiki, and each year there’s more people I know of on there.

Maybe a separate section might be the answer, I’m currently on tenterhooks as the last time I saw Biggins in July he looked like death warmed up, poor old boy.

I guess you mean something along the lines of the Bear Pit.
Perhaps the 'Gravel Pit'

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

Please keep things as they are, it's perfect.

Tucked away, we'd miss when heroes of our lifetime pass. Without actively looking in a special RIP section everyday, in the way some folk used to/still do scrutinise the Argus deaths column.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Tucked away, we'd miss when heroes of our lifetime pass. Without actively looking in a special RIP section everyday, in the way some folk used to/still do scrutinise the Argus deaths column.

Seconded.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Simplest thing would be to have a RIP prefix when you create threads and then the opportunity to opt out of seeing certain prefixes. That way I wouldnt have to see cricket threads, Leekbrokgull wouldnt have to see Albion threads and so on.

Might not be possible with the current forum software.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Simplest thing would be to have a RIP prefix when you create threads and then the opportunity to opt out of seeing certain prefixes. That way I wouldnt have to see cricket threads, Leekbrokgull wouldnt have to see Albion threads and so on.

Might not be possible with the current forum software.

Genuine question. If we could all opt out of chunks of nsc, which would be attractive, would that impact advertising revenue?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Thoughts?

Don't think so, no. Many appear for someone I've ever heard of - I will probably Google them to see who they were, but won't contribute t the thread because in life they meant nothing to me. the thread disappeears in a few hours/days, which is fine; those who felt a need to contribute; end of thread
If it's somebody I've known (or known of) and their existance has meant sometihng to me, I will RIP them - like going to a funeral. then you move on - obviously missing those who were dear to you. No need for the thread to stay.
If you want to check who's alive and who's died, Wikipedia is your friend (unless, of course, your concerned about the health and current wellbeing of Tony Hart).

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Leave where they are... Some i am interested in, some i am not. If you don't know the person that has passed, don't open. I doubt i would be as morbid enough to parous the RIP section for deaths. I'd feel like beetlejuice.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'd never have found out that Tony Hart had just died if it was hidden away in a subforum.

Leave it as it is.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether

I very much agree with this. Seeing a RIP thread has , before now, been the first time I heard of a loved musician’s passing . Maybe some threads are thought trivial but it all means something to someone.

If we cut the diversity from the main board it may lead to RIP the NSC......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here