Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Timber ! A bad week for the ConDems

Terrible news. The government considered what many viewed to be a bad move, they listened to the people and altered their tactics. If only we had someone like Mubarak.

Strange the Dept of Environment didn't run this past the National Trust, Woodland Trust etc before coming up publicly with an idea that they could or would even like to manage these forests. Then again, perhaps beorhthelm and some of Spelman's civil servants are on the button after all.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
If only the Labour party cold govern us forever, they're the best. One party state, that’s what I want. :)

Anyone who disagrees with the Labour party point of view is uneducated or just bloody well wrong.

Go Labour.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
If only the Labour party cold govern us forever, they're the best. One party state, that’s what I want. :)

Anyone who disagrees with the Labour party point of view is uneducated or just bloody well wrong.

Go Labour.

This

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
They were forced to drop the plans by the scale of public opposition and the damage it would do them in political terms.

At least they changed their mind regardless of what actually made them do it. Did public pressure make Labour change their mind on an illegal war or make them reverse their treachery on promising a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty ?

Strange how when Labour DON'T change their mind they are slated for not bowing to public pressure, the Tories change their mind and they are slated to. Make up your bloody minds !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ah yes, the woodland trust. they want to encourage you to plant trees, to save woodlands, to change woods from pine to deciduous... but they dont want actually manage anything, that would be a terrible imposition

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
At least they changed their mind regardless of what actually made them do it. Did public pressure make Labour change their mind on an illegal war or make them reverse their treachery on promising a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty ?

Strange how when Labour DON'T change their mind they are slated for not bowing to public pressure, the Tories change their mind and they are slated to. Make up your bloody minds !

I don't see there being a problem with discussing selling off some areas, after all a lot of the FC managed land is effectively an agri-industrial area and we don't have a right to roam in it anyway. On balance I feel happier maintaining the status quo for a while, so good decision by the govt for making this u turn.

Don't think the will of the people was that important over the Iraq war tho- can you honestly say we would have sat it out had the Tories been in charge at the time?

Just need Glasfryn and I've got a full house on this week's left-wing bullshit bingo. As soon as I saw the thread I picked my 3 random witless lefties: Glasfryn, Dougal and Biscuit. My bonus ball for guessing which post that Thatcher first gets mentioned was 18 so only 3 out there too.

Come on Glasfryn! Don't let me down now.

Dandyman

In London village.

Go Labour.

For the record, I voted Green at the last General Election and have not voted Labour at the national level since Iraq.

They haven't changed their mind if preservation of the status quo was always the end game.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
LibDems table a proposition to sell off forests, the people don't like it, so they say sorry we got it wrong and cease it. All sounds like good politics to me to be fair. Not really worth the news inches its being given now. Lets move on to the next issue.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Once he has worked out his policies,do me a favour.

Well Cameron was in office for nearly 4 years before he came up with any substantial policies. Quite frankly, I expect the same from Labour.

Why they can't put their cards on table in the first place is above me...

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Maybe or maybe not. I am glad the potential sell off has been binned as it was a ludicrous idea.

:wrong:

you dont need to be clever to take 10-20 minutes to familise with the whole picture, rather than absorb the united Telegraph/Guardian (never thought i'd see that :) ) slant that a bogey man (or "any passing spiv") is going to tear down every tree in the nation as a result of this.

A very good friend of mine was heading up this managed sell off, and was the one on Brekkie TV etc.

He's a got a first class honors degree in Forestry, loves working in 'in the field' and is a right tree hugger at heart, but realizes managed investment is a good thing.

There is no way he would do that job if it was sold off to every 'passing spiv' :rolleyes:

beorhthelm speaks wisely you know.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not really worth the news inches its being given now.

that for me is what annoys me, not the issue but the coverage given to it. its being hled up as some massive popular protest turning the governement. what i've seen is the media have an opinion on the issue without giving an informed view of the issue. people were petitioning against the proposals before they were published ???
this whole issue is over 18% of English forests, mostly commercial pine planations, portrayed by the broadsheets as if the entire woodland of the nation was about to be cut down and replaced by golf courses, wind farms and housing. its the same type of people against this who campaigned against Falmer.

i'd be far more impressed if the papers presented a united front on an issue that matters, like say poverty, welfare reform, education, health. but they'd rather gravitate around the issue whether or not a f***ing copse in Shropshire will be owned by the government or a private landowners, the latter of which own the other 82%.

/ :rant:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Strange, it the issue was so unimportant why did they bother looking into in the first place ?

Irrespective of the pros and cons, the public backlash is very much an ideological issue and goes beyong the selling off of a few forest.

If this government thinks that anything is up for grabs it needs to think again. Middle England disagrees with that now and even the CPRE were up in arms.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here