Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tiger in disabled slur

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sorry if there's been another thread about this today - but did anyone see that interview with Tiger Woods after his round last night/this morning (about 12.45am ish)?

He putted really badly - and in a live piece on BBC2 said "On the green I was a spaz."

Good to see the worldwide role model, famously used by Nike to promote minority sport, taking his responsibilities so seriously.

It finished a bit late for today's papers - he'll get some hammer tomorrow. Every spokesperson for SCOPE will have something to say about it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm ashamed to admit I sniggered when I read your post.

Not at the word itself, which is obviously mean.

But because it took me back to my primary school days, when "spaz" was the height of insults.

Alongside "div", "spanner" and a variety of others. I'm sure we all did it (but probably wouldn't use them on worldwide TV...).

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I was wondering what was coming next. Joey Deacon, maybe. Easy, Tiger...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I had to chuckle at Aliss when he described a tricky downhill putt from just off the green as "a bit of a NADGER"

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Billy the Fish said:
Mountain. Molehill. End of.

Mountain. Molehill. End of. Is that a reasoned argument is it?

If Michael Owen came off the pitch and said "this season I've been playing like a spastic paraplegic with an hereditory motor neuron disorder" Would that be acceptable?

What Tiger said was no different. It was inappropriate and ignorant. Spastics don't earn $70 milion, handicap for them isn't amateur golf and a challenge for them is generally getting through every day with a quality of life, not 3 putting.

If Phil Mickelson had said "on that last put I was sweating like a ******" Would that be acceptable?

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
What the hell has Political Correctness got to do with it?

Last edited:

woodster

Jul 18, 2003
a disabled slur - a bit strong.

an unfortunate comment to make in public - certainly.

he is a sportsman that has the whole worlds media on him whenever he is playing - not his fault he is a genius at what he does. he had just finished doing is job after a frustrating day, with his father ill the other side of the country and he has the usual numerous cameras/microphones shoved in his face. i am sure he would rather have sped out the gate.

it was a silly thing to say, but he no doubt knew he was wrong from the moment he said it and will regret it now. he is the sort of man who will acknowledge the mistake in due course.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I enjoyed Sam Torrance's comment

'he can hit his long irons into the stratosphere, & it comes down like an old dog in front of a fire'.

fantastic

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
spaz

spazzed out

retarded

all common sayings in the everyday African American vernacular, I'm sure he didn't think twice about it.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
NMH said:
I thought the Americans owned the anal 'Political Correctness' until I saw this thread.

I am Spasticus.

No you're not, you're an arse.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I haven't picked up a paper in years.. was it mentioned at all?

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
dwayne said:
spaz

spazzed out

retarded

all common sayings in the everyday African American vernacular, I'm sure he didn't think twice about it.

African Amercian vernacular? What are you Nathan Barley? You're also talking out of your arse.

There are two theories behind African American vernacular english. One is that that is was derived from English learned incorrectly - dialect hypothesis. The other is that is is derived from a combination of English and West African languages - creole hypothesis.

Are you telling me spaz means something else to Tiger Woods? Are you telling me Tiger constitutes an excuse of incorrectly learned English or a hybrid of English and West African languages? African American vernacular my arse.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here