Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tidal wave coming (serious)

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
RIOTS and looting in Great Yarmouth, blimey ???

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
RIOTS and looting in Great Yarmouth, blimey ???

hahaha its like NEW ORLEANS only our governemnt have acted before the storm and the US government have STILL NOT done bugger all :angry:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is it only me that has a mental picture of Patrick Swayze heading to the East Coast now with his surfboard ready to go?

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
hahaha its like NEW ORLEANS only our governemnt have acted before the storm and the US government have STILL NOT done bugger all :angry:

they have more important things to worry about, oil and the dollar are far more important than some poor/black people in New Orleans !!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Of course they have. They evacuated people extremely quickly and charity events have been organised and performed before the danger was even over. Bush was pretty much the first high profile person on the scene. Oh no, that was California. :nono:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Is it only me that has a mental picture of Patrick Swayze heading to the East Coast now with his surfboard ready to go?

no, coz that would be a wast of time :D

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think the surge is going to occur on a falling tide, well past high tide and there should NOT be any flooding?

Keep up at the back.

High tides don't occur at the same time all around the country. Parts of the affected areas (Humberside, Lincolnshire etc) will be at low tide when the surge takes effect, assuming it happens at the predicted time.

There are parts of Suffolk, in particular the Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft areas, which will be more or less at high tide at the predicted peak surge point (between 7 and 8am), hence they're on the highest state of alert.

It may happen, it may not, they can only take precautions against flooding, and sit back and wait.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Tide is four feet below the barriers on a falling tide. High tide in 8 hours at Great Yarmouth, I do not how long the surge waters remain around?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Have also read that places like Great Yarmouth will be hit during Spring tide, which could mean them being hit more than most places.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Again, the surge does not hit all of the coast at the same time, like the tsunami in Asia took hours to reach some destinations. The surge itself is not expected to take effect on the Kent coast, for example, until ten or eleven o'clock tomorrow morning.

Don't ask me about the dynamics of it all, I only watched some Environment Agency boffin on the news earlier, but she seemed fairly confident that the highest tides and the highest surges would coincide on the easternmost coast of Suffolk. It was something to do with atmospheric depressions.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Surge will peak at 7 am this morning. Latest on Radio 5.

Immingham high tide is about 6 am. So into the boats.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
You're reversing your previous "no flood" announcement?

Yep!

The reports of the time of the surge are changing. From Great Yarmouth it sounds like the surge has already arrived.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You're reversing your previous "no flood" announcement?

evanal006.jpg

Perseus Almighty? :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here