Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Throwback to April 1989

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Oh I see what you mean now.
You are thinking they said they did a season of going to all games but probably didn't.
Fair enough.

It would be another thing that I can add to the list of things that oasis said they did that I thought was pretty cool but actually was bullshit they made up to create an image for themselves.

Bingo... :thumbsup:

Having gone to the same nightclubs and student Indie nights as them as far back as 84-87 I can confirm they are bullshitters.
The real indie daddies of Manchester were the Stone Roses, Oasis copied their attitude and swagger.
(Ian Brown used to be a Psychobilly and I graced the dance floor with him on more than one occasion, probably traded a good few punches, all in good fun)

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Blimey, impressively detailed knowledge of that, do you have a diary........serious question?

Nope, just one of those memories that stuck with me - probably because Dad had to explain to me why the penalty was retaken.

Funnily enough, a quick search has thrown up some highlights of that very game:

(I wonder if anyone will start complaining about the blue panels on the back of the shirts for the numbers...)

D

Deleted member 2719

Nope, just one of those memories that stuck with me - probably because Dad had to explain to me why the penalty was retaken.

(I wonder if anyone will start complaining about the blue panels on the back of the shirts for the numbers...)

Thanks for that.:)

A proper North Stand, the Amex North Stand just doesn't cut it with me.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham

Paul Cooper saving the first penalty . Always had a good record.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
One of our 4-0 or 4-1 victories I can remember getting absolutely soaked

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Who else was there when we last beat Man City in the league? :)
April 1st 1989

Was a terrific match! We won 2-1 with goals from Alan Curbishley (with a retaken pen) and a late OG from Ian Brightwell.

Ballboy Keith Cuss got sacked for heading the ball into the West Stand

City had a couple of yet-to-be-famous Galllagher brothers in the away end.

There were yellow inflatable bananas galore

Madonna was at #1 with Like A Prayer

I was 13. Lovely stuff!

The only thing that I remember about that game is the ball boy man, heading the ball :lolol:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I was at Maine Road the season we went down and we scored first and stood in the Platt Lane End i had my Jasper Carrot moment.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I was at the 1981 game with my Dad, and the FA cup one :clap2:

All 3 of 79,81 and 89. First 2 with my dad aged 7 and 9 in the SW. I can remember the Man City woman with the bell in 81.

89 North stand aged 17, a month away from passing my driving test, the snakebite and black days when life was all about the Albion, the ladies down the top rank suite or Orianas and Depeche Mode 101!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Really is that fact Liam was 17, doubt he traveled home and away.
I’m going urban myth.
I was living in Manchester at the time and working aged 19 and couldn’t afford to get down, how’s a popstar wannabe gonna be able to afford it.

We used to go to the same indie clubs at the time, no way would he back in time for Berlin’s

I was 18 and at the game in my usual spot in the North Stand.

I started going away in 87-88. A part time job at the Co Op and living at home were enough if you went easy on the beers and fags and used a Young Person's Railcard or the club coaches. It was also around that time I met a bunch of lads who went by minibus and I bunked in with them when they were short.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
One of the games when we migrated from the North to the posh seats in the South.

Remember the Cuss incident well. The City players weren't happy!

Great days.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes I was there, but Keith Cuss didn't head the ball. He allowed the ball to hit his head to protect his hands.

I was an apprentice at British Caledonian with Keith's son Simon during that time

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
One of my enduring Goldstone memories as a 15 year old in the North Stand. Remember it getting some decent coverage on coast to coast news too. Was a shame Keith got the bullet for it.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I forgot I was there the last time we beat City in the League.....until you mentioned Keith Cuss (a name I've always remembered ......like Kelvin Morton). As above, the only thing I remember of the game (why did we have a ball man rather than a ball boy?). Aged 16 , watching in the East near a regular who stood out to me because he was black (not that common at the football at that time) and always calling the players "donuts".

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I forgot I was there the last time we beat City in the League.....until you mentioned Keith Cuss (a name I've always remembered ......like Kelvin Morton). As above, the only thing I remember of the game (why did we have a ball man rather than a ball boy?). Aged 16 , watching in the East near a regular who stood out to me because he was black (not that common at the football at that time) and always calling the players "donuts".

I think Keith Cuss was actually responsible for all the ball boys, he wasn't actually one of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here