Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

THREE tournaments in a row! Time to start playing like the Spanish.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
This. Let's not delude ourselves into thinking Brighton & Hove Albion play anything like the Spanish national team. Yes, the Albion may value possession and the players may eventually become good enough to do most of the passing in the opposition half, but comparisons between the two are superficial at best. The only reason we are able to play keep-ball for above average periods of time in League games in the Championship is because we often have the ball where we are not a threat to the opposition.

We're very much still a work in progress to be fair. I'm sure Gus is well aware of our lack of cutting edge and what to do about it (I hope!).

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
But they have Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Fabregas, Alonso, etc....

That is the only reason that type of football works. It will not work for you next year.

Next year it'll be a joy to watch your sideways passing and diagonal balls in to the (Lambert) box fail miserably every week on MOTD. Still, I hear Adkins gives a Premier league rub down.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The only reason spain are able to play this way is the incredible talent at their disposal at this current time. That will change.

Spain are the current European Champions at U-21, U-19 and U-17 too, by the way. It's not going to change any time soon.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
imagesCA0NL3ED.jpgSpain was amazing to watch tonight.............

bring it to Brighton.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Comparing Engerland to Spain is like watching 2 carpenters at work. One is carefully selecting the best and highest quality wood and crafting it into a wonderful piece of bespoke furniture using tools handed down from generations of fine carpenters, there are intricate inlays of burnished mahogany decorating the surface and as you run your hand over its perfectly smooth surface you can only marvel at the quality of the finish, the other one is knocking up a shed out of four by two.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Swansea will be relegated next season. It didn't really work last year though did it? you got found out and ended up tumbling down the table.

We tumbled lol wtf

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Comparing Engerland to Spain is like watching 2 carpenters at work. One is carefully selecting the best and highest quality wood and crafting it into a wonderful piece of bespoke furniture using tools handed down from generations of fine carpenters, there are intricate inlays of burnished mahogany decorating the surface and as you run your hand over its perfectly smooth surface you can only marvel at the quality of the finish, the other one is knocking up a shed out of four by two.

or trying to put an ikea flat pack together..........with a trowel.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Except the final I thought Spain where boring this whole tourn, I found them extremely dull to watch for the first time ever

they were making reference to this during the game, making a joke about how silly this POV is, overlooking the other 5 games. They havent played with the same pace in others. My Spanish work mate also says they are dull. but then he is also Catalonian so doesnt really support Spain. Interestingly he also highlights that Spain and Barca play quite difference tactics, while the general philiosophy is the same, Barca play with far more men in front of the ball so the next pass is forward. Spain can look like an old Italian team at times, technically great but more than happy to crab the ball around with little attack.

D

Deleted member 22389

There are two teams Spain will not get passed. That is Argentina and Brazil. Italy had a very good record against Spain before last night. They made Italy look ordinary in the end. I also agree with Falkor, Spain as effective as they are it is boring to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Except the final I thought Spain where boring this whole tourn, I found them extremely dull to watch for the first time ever

..when it really matters, the very best teams go up a gear. Spain coasted through this tournament, just doing enough to get past the opposition. Most viewers didn't realise Spain were coasting...hence the dull label.
They went up a gear in extra time v Portugal ( even though they didn't score ) and last night, they had saved enough in the tank to blow Italy away.
Spain have mastered how to play tournament football. How to pace yourself over 6-7 games. Not peaking too early ( e.g Russia, who do it every tournament ) just doing enough to win the group and getting the slightly easier passage. The swathes of possession football at a slower pace was Spain taking a breather.
All through football, the better teams do just enough. Why go flat out for 90 minutes when you can win a game in a 20 minute spell?
Spain wanted to win the Final and win it in style and the whole of the rest of their tournament was building up to last night.
A lot of people take too much notice of our National press. The quality of football journalism in this country is some of the poorest in Europe. A lot of them have never played the game ( at any level ) and are totally incapable of proper analysis. Most of it is superficial garbage, skirting around the serious issues of the game.
To describe Spain as boring simply shows a complete lack of footballing nous. This is one of the best international teams in history and their performances have been deliberate and purposeful.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
..when it really matters, the very best teams go up a gear. Spain coasted through this tournament, just doing enough to get past the opposition. Most viewers didn't realise Spain were coasting...hence the dull label.
They went up a gear in extra time v Portugal ( even though they didn't score ) and last night, they had saved enough in the tank to blow Italy away.
Spain have mastered how to play tournament football. How to pace yourself over 6-7 games. Not peaking too early ( e.g Russia, who do it every tournament ) just doing enough to win the group and getting the slightly easier passage. The swathes of possession football at a slower pace was Spain taking a breather.
All through football, the better teams do just enough. Why go flat out for 90 minutes when you can win a game in a 20 minute spell?
Spain wanted to win the Final and win it in style and the whole of the rest of their tournament was building up to last night.
A lot of people take too much notice of our National press. The quality of football journalism in this country is some of the poorest in Europe. A lot of them have never played the game ( at any level ) and are totally incapable of proper analysis. Most of it is superficial garbage, skirting around the serious issues of the game.
To describe Spain as boring simply shows a complete lack of footballing nous. This is one of the best international teams in history and their performances have been deliberate and purposeful.

I dont agree with your comment about press but I agree with the rest.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Brazil 1970 and Spain 2012. The 2 best international teams in my lifetime. In fact, I can't think of another team that comes close. Maybe Holland in '74 and '78 get third place, several lengths behind.
Boring? **** off!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Particularly on TV, the most superficial analysis is from ex-players without a journalistic background.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here