Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Three minutes silence

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I know im going to upset some here, but what the hell is with this 3 minute silence for the tsunami victims? Dont get me wrong, its a tragic event, but 3 minutes? The millions who died in the Wars only get 2 minutes. And what about the victims of the earthquakes in Turkey, Peru and elsewher that cos the lives of thousands in the last couple of years.

This is fast turning in to an overload event with the PC, lefty, right on media bludging the issue to death.

Last edited:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
beorhthelm said:
I know im going to upset some here, but what the hell is with this 3 minute silence for the tsunami victims? Dont get me wrong, its a tragic event, but 3 minutes? The millions who died in the Wars only get 2 minutes. And what about the victims of the earthquakes in Turkey, Peru and elsewher that cos the lives of thousands in the last couple of years.

This is fast turning in to an overload event with the PC, lefty, right on media bludging the issue to death.

I understand that it's a dictate from the EU. Obviously, our 2mins at New Year was not good enough. Or perhapse Blair missed that one? ???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
beorhthelm said:

Agreed.

1. Why 3 minutes ? Are we scaling these disasters according to deathtoll now, and increasing the minutes accordingly ? Or does it depend on how long ago it happened ? Or in which country ? Or on how much news coverage it gets ? What about the mass genocides in Africa ? Shall we have 5 minutes for that ?

2. I don't need a government or media-driven silence to pay my respects. Every single individual is quite capable of quietly reflecting on this tragedy in their own personal way, without having ANOTHER period of silence (after the ones I have already observed at QPR and Watford).

For want of a better word, this is just overkill.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
I agree with Beorhthelm completely....

Where's the sense in simply making a minute's silence any more than any other minute's silence just because of the scope of the tragedy?! A minute's silence is a minute's silence, no more, no less.

And while we're on the subject, I was at Old Trafford for England vs Wales when there was a minute's silence for Ken Bigley. Now if there is a world tragedy then I can pass for a minute's silence to reflect, but if there is a controversial element to whether people mourn or not for a guy, then why inflict the minute's silence on every soul in the ground?

I shall mourn who I choose to mourn for thank you very much! These farcical silences are an insult to those (such as those who fought in the wars for our country) who thoroughly deserve such recognition. In my opinion, those who are suffering and mourning in Asia at the moment receive my gratitude through aid and assistance. Those who have fought for the country get my minute's gratitude on Rememberance Sunday.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I shall not be observing it.

We already had a minute's silence at the Watford game and at QPR. It's mawkish and unnecessary. If people want to remember the victims it's a personal thing and shouldn't become a public wringing of hands and wailing.

And while I'm at it we've had far too many black armbands and minutes silences at Albion games. It's getting to be the norm for the Albion players to be wearing black armbands and if we go to a game when they're NOT wearing them we'll be wondering why we haven't got something or someone to pay our respects to. Now I feel great sympathy for the parents and friends of the young Albion supporter who died recently, but I'm not sure that black armbands should become the rule every time a supporter dies.

Controversial comments maybe. But it needs to be said. And this is a debating forum.

beorhthelm said:

As a leftie 'pc' person I resent this totally. I totally agree with you that the entire thing is overdone. So please, less of the blaming it on lefties.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Re: Re: Three minutes silence

Easy 10 said:
For want of a better word, this is just overkill.

I agree. It's worrying to keep seeing News reporters touching down by helicopter every other minute in the middle of some disaster zone out there, it seems to be becoming all about getting more and more stories out of people's suffering, rather than helping them to rebuild their lives.

hutchings (48)

Dec 2, 2004
The Wild West
Agree with evrything posted on here on this subject.

My comapny has just asked us to observe three minutes silence and have also said that as shareholders and employees have donated individually to the disaster appeal it is not felt necessary for the comapny to donate anymore.

Three minutes of silence is not what these people need - it is aid which costs money.

I too strongly object to Governments/football clubs telling more who I shouldn't grieve and for how long. I'm sure anyone with a pulse has felt the pain of the people of Asia reflected and mourned in some way for these poor souls, and most will have donated some money.

This silence will do nothing to help the victims of the tsunami and I will not observe it. I will however continue to grieve for the people I see on my TV screen and help in any way I see fit.

Where is need to collectively grieve going to end ?

Last edited:

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Did anyone notice that neither Wolves or QPR wore armbands.

hutchings (48)

Dec 2, 2004
The Wild West
Titanic said:
I noticed - and was rather shocked and disappointed. It's not much to ask, is it ?

This is the point I think myself and others have tried to make, what difference does this tiny gesture make ? The victims don't need our respect which costs nothing, they need food, water and a roof over their head.

The other point is that people should be entirely free to express their grief/concern in whatever way they see fit. People shouldn't have to be told how the react to eevents like this.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What harm does observing the silence do? Ok, it may be that we are having a lot of them at the moment but lets put this into context, about 200,000 have died and millions are now homeless and people on here are moaning about having to be quiet for three minutes.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Re: Re: Three minutes silence

readingstockport said:
As a leftie 'pc' person I resent this totally. I totally agree with you that the entire thing is overdone. So please, less of the blaming it on lefties.

But it is part of the emrging leftwing victim culture Ive ranted on about in the past. It also is a top down statist Authoritarian dictat that leftists in power so love.

Its not cold hearted rightwingers who are encouraging people to "emote" at every opertunity. Authoritarianisn requires emotions to manipulate, it fears intellect and free choice.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Richie Morris said:
people on here are moaning about having to be quiet for three minutes.

I don't think people are moaning about being quiet for three minutes, more what is - us on the other side of the world being quiet for three minutes actually going to do for the tsunami victims?

Answer. Nothing. They don't need silence, they need aid. They need us to donate not be quiet for three minutes.

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Richie Morris said:
What harm does observing the silence do? Ok, it may be that we are having a lot of them at the moment but lets put this into context, about 200,000 have died and millions are now homeless and people on here are moaning about having to be quiet for three minutes.

If everyone did something constructive for three minutes - even donating three minutes wages - then these people would be able to get more of the aid that they need.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Starry said:
I don't think people are moaning about being quiet for three minutes, more what is - us on the other side of the world being quiet for three minutes actually going to do for the tsunami victims?

Answer. Nothing. They don't need silence, they need aid. They need us to donate not be quiet for three minutes.

I think the people who will observe the silence probably already have donated.

I know what people are saying but its not that big a deal really staying silent is it?

I know various people who are missing friends or have lost people they know. It wont bring them back but the silence is a way for the country to visibly show they are thinking of them.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Beorhthelm quotes the earthquake in Peru. I went to the area which was most affected only a few months after the event, this too was hit by a tsunami after an earthquake many miles offshore. What shocked me was that the Peruvian government had stated that only a few hundred lost their lives, having seen a stretch of coastline that had been decimated like the pictures we are seeing today I found those figures hard to believe. I understand that the Peruvian quake also hit during the night, when many people would have been asleep thus giving them little chance to head for higher ground.

I will observe the three minutes silence, in just the way that I observe all others whether they commemorate Armistice or some other event such as 9/11, during that time I just think to myself how lucky I am to live in a country at peace and relatively free from the threat of natural disaster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here