Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Three Albion Players In The League One Top Ten

Sep 1, 2010
It would not be the same without some kind of row on NSC, i half expect it now. Bloody well done is what was needed

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
So basically, a player of ours gets into the top 10 players of the season... And some NSC complain. Completely in tune with the day to day lunacy we see on here.

Well done Glenn, Elliott and Adam. Fully, fully deserved.

This is a discussion forum!! A couple of us have suggested we think Greer has been as important to our season as El Abd (and therefore should also (not instead of) be in the Top 10) and there is a discussion flowing from it.

Apols if it deflects a little from the praise they all richly deserve.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I can't argue with any of those selections especially El Abd. Greer has made a huge difference and his contribution has been sadly overlooked. However there is one player who has been sadly ignored despite his excellent contribution to the League's meanest defence. I give you the oh so highly underrated Marcos Painter.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
This is a discussion forum!! A couple of us have suggested we think Greer has been as important to our season as El Abd (and therefore should also (not instead of) be in the Top 10) and there is a discussion flowing from it.

Apols if it deflects a little from the praise they all richly deserve.

Sorry. Its early and I'm a little delicate this morning. *Breathe* I agree. Greer has been excellent this season and an absolute bargain at £250k (or whatever we actually paid). As a partnership, I find it difficult to think of a better ball-playing back two in Brighton colours (certainly since 1988 when I was got old enough to understand football!)

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Sorry. Its early and I'm a little delicate this morning. *Breathe* I agree. Greer has been excellent this season and an absolute bargain at £250k (or whatever we actually paid). As a partnership, I find it difficult to think of a better ball-playing back two in Brighton colours (certainly since 1988 when I was got old enough to understand football!)

Very much agreed on the partnership.

Come 2.55 this afternoon, and hopefully yet another clean sheet, the legend of our centre back pairing will have grown even further!!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Very much agreed on the partnership.

Come 2.55 this afternoon, and hopefully yet another clean sheet, the legend of our centre back pairing will have grown even further!!

Can you believe that if we win (big if) that would be a MASSIVE 15 POINTS up on the best team in League One?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Can you believe that if we win (big if) that would be a MASSIVE 15 POINTS up on the best team in League One?

In truth, I cant believe much about this season. I'm sure I'm going to wake up in May and find we got relegated and Falmer is still a field!!

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
This is indeed brilliant news and great to see the club FINALLY getting the recognition it deserves.

Murray, spot on. Intelligent reading of the game sets him apart from other forwards.
Bennett, has more assists that they have stated but has been fantastic.
El Abd, so pleased they have recognised him. Possibly the most improved player I have seen in 26 years of supporting the club.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The top ten players were voted for by FANS. The judges then narrowed it down to three - Glen Murray, CMS (who won it) and BWP - basically the 3 top scorers.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Really, Adam is clearly our player of the season.

"a cool-headed defender who sets Brighton's passing tone" - spot on. Not only sums up the player but sums up why we are sitting pretty ten points clear at the top of the league.

Looking beyond the fact that he has transformed himself in a manner I struggle to remember with any other player at the club (since I've been watching since the 70s), he is now genuinely a very very good player. Forget how he played in the past, think of him as a new signing - he's superb.

Bennett and Murray are obviously up there, but they've had their periods of inconsistency. El Abd hasn't and it's no surprise he is the first player on the Poyet's team sheet. Why ? he does EXACTLY what he is asked to do without question and does it well. Poyet's golden boy and thoroughly deserved ( unless you know better than Gus.....)

His control is quite brilliant for a defender at this level. Far better on the ball than Elphick and if anyone had suggested that last season they would have been laughed out of town.

A defender built like a brick shit house and comfortable on the ball. He's f**cking gold dust.

Imagine what Poyet could have moulded Oatway or Fraser into ? That's the mark of the man. Not how we are playing, just who he managed to get to play like that. He's a genius.

top post sir. nail on head

Don't know why anyone has to have any doubt about AeA's claim to being our best defender, he's been that for several seasons.

I only really worry for our fortunes when he's out!

AND here's the controversial bit for some of you - GG has learned more from working alongside Adam el-Abd and improved his own game.
The presence of Greer as a competent defender only gives el-Abd confidence to play his best game. It was always poor luck for him having to cover so much of the defending when Elphick wandered forward unchecked.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

"a cool-headed defender who sets Brighton's passing tone" - spot on. Not only sums up the player but sums up why we are sitting pretty ten points clear at the top of the league.

Looking beyond the fact that he has transformed himself in a manner I struggle to remember with any other player at the club (since I've been watching since the 70s), he is now genuinely a very very good player. Forget how he played in the past, think of him as a new signing - he's superb.

Bennett and Murray are obviously up there, but they've had their periods of inconsistency. El Abd hasn't and it's no surprise he is the first player on the Poyet's team sheet. Why ? he does EXACTLY what he is asked to do without question and does it well. Poyet's golden boy and thoroughly deserved ( unless you know better than Gus.....)

His control is quite brilliant for a defender at this level. Far better on the ball than Elphick and if anyone had suggested that last season they would have been laughed out of town.

A defender built like a brick shit house and comfortable on the ball. He's f**cking gold dust.

Imagine what Poyet could have moulded Oatway or Fraser into ? That's the mark of the man. Not how we are playing, just who he managed to get to play like that. He's a genius.

Pretty much what I said on this week's Roar when debating Murray v El-Abd for Player of the Season, though not quite as eloquently.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I just seems more logical to me that 11 should be named. It would be interesting to have a competition featuring the best team, made up from the best chosen 11 players, from each division
It was a vote, by fans and the players with the most number of votes went forward. The Football League do a 'team of the week' every week with the best players in their correct positons. I've no doubt there will be a 'team of the season' when the season has finished. Check the Football League website.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

To be fair I think Russell helped too. I can still recall on here when he was "El Bad" and you all rubbished him. Be interesting to see what Slade can do with Cox longterm.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Why don't you just agree guys that El Abd and Greer are as good as each other in their own style of football? They compliment each other and have made the goals against column their own, as a partnership.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here